14-team CFP has momentum; but also Hints begin of SEC and Big10 exiting the NCAA...

NT80

"The CFP modeling is tricky, as college sports remain a moving target. This ESPN deal would run through the 2031 season, and it's naïve to think the conference map will look the same as it does today.

One high-ranking official involved in the discussions told ESPN on Wednesday that the presidents and chancellors in both the SEC and Big Ten are having conversations about whether to continue their NCAA membership. It's a move that would impact and could possibly derail the TV agreement."

"Those conversations are happening," the source said, adding some feel "pretty strongly about pulling away. I'd say very strongly."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39619331/sources-14-team-college-football-playoff-momentum

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

NCAA is done. The SEC and Big 10 will create their own playoffs. Eventually football and basketball could be sponsored and owned by outside organizations or individuals.

Yes I do tend to agree with you.  It also appears that NIL may be moving back to the athletic departments from what I have been reading lately.

54 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

NCAA is done. The SEC and Big 10 will create their own playoffs. Eventually football and basketball could be sponsored and owned by outside organizations or individuals.

If they do break off for football I hope the NCAA immediately kicks them out for all sports. No more NCAA tournament or CWS.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If true, then I assume they will not interact with or play games against teams that are not in their conferences. Unlike the NFL that seeks parity through the draft and salary cap no such equalizer will be in place. Schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt among others will permanently (perhaps they already are anyway) field losing teams with no chance for any Championship and will solely participate for any revenue sharing.   

In my opinion, all schools remaining in the NCAA should enact a rule banning games against any of those teams.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

51 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

If true, then I assume they will not interact with or play games against teams that are not in their conferences. Unlike the NFL that seeks parity through the draft and salary cap no such equalizer will be in place. Schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt among others will permanently (perhaps they already are anyway) field losing teams with no chance for any Championship and will solely participate for any revenue sharing.   

In my opinion, all schools remaining in the NCAA should enact a rule banning games against any of those teams.

They may form a playoff between themselves, then a Super Bowl of sorts between SEC and Big10. 

But they need other FBS schools to play OOC games with so they can all get their 7 home football games and 20 home basketball games, etc.   

It will be fun to see OU, Oregon, USC, Penn St, A&M, etc start going 6-6 during the football seasons, because of increased opponent strength.  There will be more coaches fired and calls to split apart these Mega-Conferences.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt among others will permanently (perhaps they already are anyway) field losing teams with no chance for any Championship and will solely participate for any revenue sharing.

I've been expecting the Big10/SEC/Fox/ESPN fatberg to drop the cellar dwellers like Vanderbilt to make room for a few more money machine programs.

• Upvote 3

Indiana and Vanderbilt have to be on the chopping block as you need space for Florida state and Clemson. Next two would probably be North Carolina and maybe Miami? 

The split is coming. What’s interesting is they think all the fans of the other 100 schools are going to pick a school to poor allegiance into and we’re talking about gate sales and tv viewership. Thats not how college football works. 

They’ll learn. I don’t personally believe a model that slices fanbases out builds up a league or sport. Again, they will learn.

Just keep playing beating peers tailgating bowling and winning. 

It will all still be so much fun. 

GMG

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

Indiana and Vanderbilt have to be on the chopping block as you need space for Florida state and Clemson. Next two would probably be North Carolina and maybe Miami? 

The split is coming. What’s interesting is they think all the fans of the other 100 schools are going to pick a school to poor allegiance into and we’re talking about gate sales and tv viewership. Thats not how college football works. 

They’ll learn. I don’t personally believe a model that slices fanbases out builds up a league or sport. Again, they will learn.

Just keep playing beating peers tailgating bowling and winning. 

It will all still be so much fun. 

GMG

I would add Northwestern and maybe Illinois to the chopping block, but they probably bring the Chicago media market so doubt it happens.   As you mentioned, some of these programs were good in single sports or certain small time frames, but overall they underperform and are just Conference fodder for the other schools.  

On 2/29/2024 at 1:05 PM, NT80 said:

They may form a playoff between themselves, then a Super Bowl of sorts between SEC and Big10. 

But they need other FBS schools to play OOC games with so they can all get their 7 home football games and 20 home basketball games, etc.   

It will be fun to see OU, Oregon, USC, Penn St, A&M, etc start going 6-6 during the football seasons, because of increased opponent strength.  There will be more coaches fired and calls to split apart these Mega-Conferences.

Probably not. 

The media and the cronies pulling those strings will start to normalize 6-6 being a decent year, and 8-4 or better as playoff consideration worthy. Mouth breathing fans of those franchises will fall in line with the new normal so they can pound their chest at their 7-5 record. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Probably not. 

The media and the cronies pulling those strings will start to normalize 6-6 being a decent year, and 8-4 or better as playoff consideration worthy. Mouth breathing fans of those franchises will fall in line with the new normal so they can pound their chest at their 7-5 record. 

10-2 and even 9-3 will be difficult in these new Super Conferences.  Fans used to those years and now suddenly supporting a program 7-5 will immediately demand a QB change or Coaching change, or both!  Get your popcorn ready! 🍿

Just now, NT80 said:

10-2 and even 9-3 will be difficult in these new Super Conferences.  Fans used to those years and now suddenly supporting a program 7-5 will immediately demand a QB change or Coaching change, or both!  Get your popcorn ready! 🍿

Early on they'll be unhappy and demanding. Then, like I said, the new reality being propped up by Rece Davis and the likes will soothe their egos. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Early on they'll be unhappy and demanding. Then, like I said, the new reality being propped up by Rece Davis and the likes will soothe their egos. 

Kirk Herbstreit is the worst P5 homer. 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Probably not. 

Exactly.  The NFL has conditioned the fans to be okay with 11-5ish records.   Back when I cared about the NFL, I think I recall the Cowboys getting into the playoffs with an 8-8 record and fans were happy.