If the Conference Tournament started today....

2 hours ago, Greendylan said:

As unlikely as winning the AAC tournament and getting into the NCAA tournament as an AQ would be, that might actually be more plausible than an NIT bid at this point, since there is no way to qualify automatically.

Are you saying it is harder to get into the NIT than the NCAA tournament?

cricket GIF

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

No now that they have changed the NIT rules we are  done put a fork in us!

Even using last year's criteria it seems very unlikely we would sneak in.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why are you here?

I was pointing out on how the AAC fell off in basketball and how Memphis didn't take advantage of the power vacuum. 

Then that Andrew guy tried to say the #1 team in the country is afraid of a conference they had a dynasty in.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

18 hours ago, CMJ said:

With FAU losing today, we're down to a 1 bid league again.

I don't understand how this conference is 1 bid. It's a highly competitive conference at the top that should dictate 2 bids. 

Memphis and FAU playing pretty well vs a pretty difficult schedule in noncon then struggling in leauge play is indicative of that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't understand how this conference is 1 bid. It's a highly competitive conference at the top that should dictate 2 bids. 

Memphis and FAU playing pretty well vs a pretty difficult schedule in noncon then struggling in league play is indicative of that. 

I'm not saying it's fair, just that it's the truth.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Memphis and FAU playing pretty well vs a pretty difficult schedule in noncon then struggling in leauge play is indicative of that. 

100%, I just posted something similar on another thread. I am not sure how the American is now looked down on. We had 2 ranked teams the first part of the season, now another team that was on no one's radar getting ranked, FAU beating Arizona earlier this season. 

If this was SEC or B12, they would still be getting 9 bids because the league is "so strong/difficult/insert adjective here."

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, BigWillie said:

100%, I just posted something similar on another thread. I am not sure how the American is now looked down on. We had 2 ranked teams the first part of the season, now another team that was on no one's radar getting ranked, FAU beating Arizona earlier this season. 

If this was SEC or B12, they would still be getting 9 bids because the league is "so strong/difficult/insert adjective here."

Because the the bottom half of the league is lowly ranked enough to bring the rest of us down just enough.  Our league is the 10th rated this season, which makes it tough to get multiple teams in unless the top two to three schools are clearly better than everyone else.  But if there's 5-6 teams that start to pile up losses in league play the math just won't work the way it does when 7-8 schools in the Big XII beat each other up simply because they all did so much better OOC than we did.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

https://www.on3.com/news/clemson-coach-brad-brownell-frustrated-big-12-has-manipulate-net-rankings/

Somewhat related to the last few posts.

I’ll add that I think this is what the SEC does in football.  Win most of your non-conference games against bad teams and then beat up on each other during conference play so people who don’t dig deeper into the numbers just assume you’re good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

https://www.on3.com/news/clemson-coach-brad-brownell-frustrated-big-12-has-manipulate-net-rankings/

Somewhat related to the last few posts.

I’ll add that I think this is what the SEC does in football.  Win most of your non-conference games against bad teams and then beat up on each other during conference play so people who don’t dig deeper into the numbers just assume you’re good. 

According to @CMJ, their OOC is not easy.

36 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

According to @CMJ, their OOC is not easy.

I never said that exactly, though I can see how you may have misread it that way.  I've said in multiple threads that the Big XII did really well OOC which means the league starts from a position it can't really fall from as they beat each other up.  On the other hand when a conference takes a lot of OOC losses then when you beat each other up it just makes it seem as though it's mediocre.  Leagues like ours do better when 1 or 2 schools (like Memphis and FAU) that do well in the OOC then go on to basically run roughshod though the rest of the conference.  But when schools, like us, that lose to Fordham then defeat a Memphis - or FAU loses to Charlotte (who went down  to Stetson) it really kills them.

An opposite example of this from a power league perspective is this year's Pac-12.  Someone like UCLA who lost to CSUN (at home no less) has gotten better as the season has gone on, but their first 15 games being so poor ruined their season.  And now when they beat teams perceived as better it kills the league.  That's why only Arizona and Washington State are likely to get in.  And a conference like ours who cleaned up in the OOC (the MWC) is currently projected to get in six.

Edited by CMJ

7 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I never said that exactly, though I can see how you may have misread it that way.  I've said in multiple threads that the Big XII did really well OOC which means the league starts from a position it can't really fall from as they beat each other up.  On the other hand when a conference takes a lot of OOC losses then when you beat each other up it just makes it seem as though it's mediocre.  Leagues like ours do better when 1 or 2 schools (like Memphis and FAU) that do well in the OOC then go on to basically run roughshod though the rest of the conference.  But when schools, like us, that lose to Fordham then defeat a Memphis - or FAU loses to Charlotte (who went down to  to Stetson) it really kills them.

An opposite example of this from a power league perspective is this year's Pac-12.  Someone like UCLA who lost to CSUN (at home no less) has gotten better as the season has gone on, but their first 15 games being so poor ruined their season.  And now when they beat teams perceived as better it kills the league.  That's why only Arizona and Washington State are likely to get in.  And a conference like ours who cleaned up in the OOC (the MWC) is currently projected to get in six.

So, it goes back to that article that @NT93 posted. We just need to schedule nothing but 300 NET teams and be undefeated. Seems it is fools gold for the committee.

8 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

So, it goes back to that article that @NT93 posted. We just need to schedule nothing but 300 NET teams and be undefeated. Seems it is fools gold for the committee.

Not just us....the whole league.  And we can't lose to any.

Edited by CMJ

13 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Not just us....the whole league.  And we can't lose to any.

Kinda goes against what most on here clamor for. Big names in OOC. I actually would be ok going 13-0 and playing no one. Exactly what USF did! You may be on to something....

6 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Kinda goes against what most on here clamor for. Big names in OOC. I actually would be ok going 13-0 and playing no one. Exactly what USF did! You may be on to something....

If we do it and everyone else doesn't (and then loses to a bunch of names), or if some of our colleagues schedule weakly and lose several games, it ends up hurting us badly.  The way this works is if the whole conference schedules similarly and basically goes undefeated.  

If the conference tournament started today, the impact would be so calamitous, it absolutely boggles the mind. 

Somehow, two entire weeks would have disappeared from our linear progression of time. EVEN IF WE ASSUME that this were a complete segmented removal, and not some sort of extended two-week FlashForward type of gap in the collective consciousness... The missing part of the calendar would have almost incalculable, disastrous impacts across every part of the globe. 

Just to pick a very miniscule example... IF the conference tournament started today, we'd have lost 40% of the annual harvest window for Temple oranges. 

FORTY PERCENT!

Just the year before, a terrible hurricane season reduced citrus yields in Florida by 32%. This hypothetical Tournament Starts Today scenario would force a 25% worse impact on TEMPLE ORANGES ALONE than an entire year of historically destructive hurricane activity!

And that's just TEMPLE ORANGES! What about avocados? Asparagus? Apricots? I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO FRUITS AND VEGETABLES THAT START WITH THE LETTER B! And there would still be 24 MORE LETTERS WORTH OF FOOD PRODUCTS POTENTIALLY IMPACTED!!!

Frankly, even a thought experiment like this opens doorways to horror so traumatic, I can barely steady my hands enough to type this response. 

Let the tournament come when it comes. Live in the now. Be present in the day we have before us. Each one is a precious gift. Make the most of it, friends. 

And, enjoy a Temple orange. 

...while you still can? 

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If the conference tournament started today, the impact would be so calamitous, it absolutely boggles the mind. 

Somehow, two entire weeks would have disappeared from our linear progression of time. EVEN IF WE ASSUME that this were a complete segmented removal, and not some sort of extended two-week FlashForward type of gap in the collective consciousness... The missing part of the calendar would have almost incalculable, disastrous impacts across every part of the globe. 

Just to pick a very miniscule example... IF the conference tournament started today, we'd have lost 40% of the annual harvest window for Temple oranges. 

FORTY PERCENT!

Just the year before, a terrible hurricane season reduced citrus yields in Florida by 32%. This hypothetical Tournament Starts Today scenario would force a 25% worse impact on TEMPLE ORANGES ALONE than an entire year of historically destructive hurricane activity!

And that's just TEMPLE ORANGES! What about avocados? Asparagus? Apricots? I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO FRUITS AND VEGETABLES THAT START WITH THE LETTER B! And there would still be 24 MORE LETTERS WORTH OF FOOD PRODUCTS POTENTIALLY IMPACTED!!!

Frankly, even a thought experiment like this opens doorways to horror so traumatic, I can barely steady my hands enough to type this response. 

Let the tournament come when it comes. Live in the now. Be present in the day we have before us. Each one is a precious gift. Make the most of it, friends. 

And, enjoy a Temple orange. 

...while you still can? 

Thanks for putting this back into perspective. I will go back to complaining about our recent loss to UTSA that should have never happened.....while eating a Temple orange!

• Upvote 1