Memphis (2/15/24)

Big Z

• Big Z changed the title to Memphis (2/15/24)
1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Maniacs posted on Instagram to wear white to the game, hopefully the team gets the memo as well.

I didn't read the whole SMU game thread, did @ADLER make his position felt on us wearing black in University Park?

Not sure our reluctance to wear green on the road. Black should be the exception, not the rule.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, ADLER said:

No, our team did, and we have the results to prove it.

Sometimes teams in the NBA playoffs like to wear their black jerseys in closeout games, maybe that was our thinking with this short series coming to an end. I still agree with many on the board that we should be wearing the greens.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 2/12/2024 at 4:13 PM, ADLER said:

We should never wear anything other than our school colors. If we have to wear black, yellow, orange, or any other goofy colors, only wear them against teams that we can easily stomp.

100% agree with this. If they want to trick up the uniforms so be it, just make sure you use school colors. Those black uniforms looked terrible. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Would just like to see him score a little. 

he has 40 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals in our last five games...all while usually guarding a top scorer as well as being pressed into being a secondary ball handler. 

and I don't know about you, but I say he works hard, too

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This is a trap game for Memphis. 

They will be looking past us and ahead to playing at $mut on Sunday on ESPN.

I wouldn't think this at all, especially with The Tigers.

They have a very weird, skewed?, mentality when it comes to their place in the American.  And, IMO, SMU isn't so far ahead of UNT that they (Memphis) can sleep on us.  Any reasonable coach is going to look at our scores, see teh SMU split, and also point out how incredible we are at making all of our matchups rock fights.

Now, if we were way down towards the bottom and SMU was top 3, then I'd be inclined to agree.

If you want to frame this as "people are going to overlook us", you don't need SMU to do that.  Just look at our depleted roster.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wouldn't think this at all, especially with The Tigers.

They have a very weird, skewed?, mentality when it comes to their place in the American.  And, IMO, SMU isn't so far ahead of UNT that they (Memphis) can sleep on us.  Any reasonable coach is going to look at our scores, see teh SMU split, and also point out how incredible we are at making all of our matchups rock fights.

Now, if we were way down towards the bottom and SMU was top 3, then I'd be inclined to agree.

If you want to frame this as "people are going to overlook us", you don't need SMU to do that.  Just look at our depleted roster.

They have huge egos and past conference history with $mut.   It was only a 3-point win in Memphis a month ago.  We are the new annoying kid on the block to them and have not played them yet.   It will help us that they are distracted.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

he has 40 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals in our last five games...all while usually guarding a top scorer as well as being pressed into being a secondary ball handler. 

and I don't know about you, but I say he works hard, too

I don't  question his effort, but like Stone, we don't need a player that the opponent will basically ignore knowing they aren't shooting.  Something like 6-8 points would be enough considering the minutes he plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I think this game comes down to whether or not their press wears us out.  Memphis is a long athletic team so breaking the press becomes even more difficult missing our ball-handlers.  Second, who wins the rebounding battle?

Edited by GMoney
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't  question his effort, but like Stone, we don't need a player that the opponent will basically ignore knowing they aren't shooting.  Something like 6-8 points would be enough considering the minutes he plays.

these two things are not the same. a scoreless Walker is still a major contributor...he slashes, he rebounds, he play-makes...he's just not a scorer. no one is ignoring Walker in the flow of the offense, maybe just no need for a hard close-out if he's taking a late clock 3. 

Stone isn't right now. those 40 boards in the last 5 games...Stone has 42 for the season. he get's left b/c he's clearly lacking confidence. you know what I would love? a Stone 0-7 shooting performance...at least I'd know he didn't just play hot potato after he missed his first. him passing on open shots or not making a positive basketball play hurt an already pretty stagnant offense. The Tulsa game was encouraging...I gave a big yell when he hit that little rock-back pull up three. 

if the team were winning these games, this wouldn't even be a discussion. Walker has a better line than senior year JJ Murray while offering similar intangibles (not as great an on-ball defender, but a far better ball-handler and rebounder) and no one was saying "man, I wish JJ would take some of the shots that TP and Drez are taking"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

these two things are not the same. a scoreless Walker is still a major contributor...he slashes, he rebounds, he play-makes...he's just not a scorer. no one is ignoring Walker in the flow of the offense, maybe just no need for a hard close-out if he's taking a late clock 3. 

Stone isn't right now. those 40 boards in the last 5 games...Stone has 42 for the season. he get's left b/c he's clearly lacking confidence. you know what I would love? a Stone 0-7 shooting performance...at least I'd know he didn't just play hot potato after he missed his first. him passing on open shots or not making a positive basketball play hurt an already pretty stagnant offense. The Tulsa game was encouraging...I gave a big yell when he hit that little rock-back pull up three. 

if the team were winning these games, this wouldn't even be a discussion. Walker has a better line than senior year JJ Murray while offering similar intangibles (not as great an on-ball defender, but a far better ball-handler and rebounder) and no one was saying "man, I wish JJ would take some of the shots that TP and Drez are taking"

Donald Trump Agree GIF by NRDC

I would still like to see him score 6-8.  

• Eye Roll 1