FAU (1/28/24)

Big Z

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

A shot breakdown like that doesn't tell you if the shots were near the basket because of guards driving or because the front line players got the ball down low to begin with.

I didn't think the game was called egregiously on their behalf.  

I agree, but some missed calls killed us and ended up giving them six points. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but some missed calls killed us and ended up giving them six points. 

Agreed. I don’t think the game was called poorly; however sometimes it only takes one call to turn the tables. The missed out of bounds call led to 3 points instead of a chance for a 5 point swing. Kills momentum. 

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, CMJ said:

A shot breakdown like that doesn't tell you if the shots were near the basket because of guards driving or because the front line players got the ball down low to begin with.

I didn't think the game was called egregiously on their behalf.  Fans (ALL fans in all sports) blame the refs for 90% of the losses when it's probably less than 10.

I'm not saying the game was terribly called but as others have pointed out, it doesn't take much to make an impact. In a close game like this, a single bad call can impact the game. With how physical these teams play, it's just incredible that a team can go an entire game committing only two shooting fouls and zero fouls when the other team is in the bonus. They must be the most disciplined group of college athletes to ever exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I didn't want to start a new thread, but something I was thinking was I feel like Hodge and Mac are both great coaches, but it seems like the facilities and conference helped Mac more this year. 

I am not saying we are terrible, but Mac is probably in the top 15 teams this year in his first season. He does play different than he did here and it isn't the slow paced offense, but it still works. 

I don't know where I am going with this, but we still haven't won a marquee game yet and this is what winning culture does, it makes you feel frustrated when you don't take that next step.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I didn't want to start a new thread, but something I was thinking was I feel like Hodge and Mac are both great coaches, but it seems like the facilities and conference helped Mac more this year. 

I am not saying we are terrible, but Mac is probably in the top 15 teams this year in his first season. He does play different than he did here and it isn't the slow paced offense, but it still works. 

I don't know where I am going with this, but we still haven't won a marquee game yet and this is what winning culture does, it makes you feel frustrated when you don't take that next step.

Yeah, not much substance to this. 

Mac is winning. As he does. He's never lost. Ever. 

Ross is doing what he does. He needs his arsenal back and if he has to personally, himself, to light a fire in Sissoko then that's what needs to be done. We are Rubin being healthy + Sissoko playing NIT form to be really, really good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I don't follow TT, except glossing over to see Mac's success, but I'm assuming he has 2-3 guys that can score unlike what he (and Hodge) ever had in Denton.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, CMJ said:

I didn't think the game was called egregiously on their behalf.  Fans (ALL fans in all sports) blame the refs for 90% of the losses when it's probably less than 10.

I meant to post this earlier and got busy with my crazy kiddos.  I try to never point to one aspect and say this is why we lost.  I firmly believe if we boxed out and secure easy rebounds on missed FT's we win the game easily.  We gave them 7 points I believe maybe 8 I can't remember off not finishing the box out on FT and it wasn't like it was the 7 footer we weren't blocking out, as he was shooting.  So very disheartening.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, not much substance to this. 

Mac is winning. As he does. He's never lost. Ever. 

Ross is doing what he does. He needs his arsenal back and if he has to personally, himself, to light a fire in Sissoko then that's what needs to be done. We are Rubin being healthy + Sissoko playing NIT form to be really, really good. 

Yeah, I think it was a little frustration point that Mac leaves and does even better, but I agree, I think we win today with Rubin. But I think that's part of my point, Mac was able to recruit scorers and depth. They had a starter go down for the season (Cambridge) and still able to beat really good teams. We lose a piece, albeit a crucial piece and we have problems winning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't follow TT, except glossing over to see Mac's success, but I'm assuming he has 2-3 guys that can score unlike what he (and Hodge) ever had in Denton.

He does. That's kinda the point I was trying to make. @NorthTexasWeLove has a very valid point about funding. This could be the way to get that extra scoring depth.

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a wonderful Christmas.  the team doesn't have everyone, nor do they get the calls, nor do they get the timely rebound or shot.  its basketball.  the boys are doing great.  this is a small setback

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

Can't comment since I couldn't watch the second half, but it seems like we have played a lot of games where refs will let a lot of things play on the first half, then completely switch gears in the second and call every little or phantom thing.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You damn right. 

Sport junkies were watching UNT basketball prepping for championship Sunday. We gave them something fun to watch. And that's awesome. 

If we don't fund this operation the way it deserves to be funded, we will settle back into mediocrity, or worse. Take 1 to 1.5M away from football and give it to basketball. No one can convince me otherwise. 

Side Note: I am currently getting ducks in a row, as that's what it takes. Neverthless, I will be the largest public donor to the basketball NIL in the very near future. When I do donate, I look forward to someone unseating me. 

I agree with you on taking some football funding and using it for basketball. At some point, we'll need to pay our basketball coaches what they're worth, or as best as we can. McCasland was a home run. Hodge is looking like a home run as well. If/when he gets hired away, what are the odds of finding another cheap home run hire? Yes there's plenty of smaller D1 schools we could probably look at taking their coach but I'd like to maintain continuity with a guy like Hodge.

Not trying to be negative and already talk about losing a guy midway through his first year. I just want him and his staff to be compensated appropriately based on their performance.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree with you on taking some football funding and using it for basketball. At some point, we'll need to pay our basketball coaches what they're worth, or as best as we can. McCasland was a home run. Hodge is looking like a home run as well. If/when he gets hired away, what are the odds of finding another cheap home run hire? Yes there's plenty of smaller D1 schools we could probably look at taking their coach but I'd like to maintain continuity with a guy like Hodge.

Not trying to be negative and already talk about losing a guy midway through his first year. I just want him and his staff to be compensated appropriately based on their performance.

There are so many successful mid-major programs that have long time successful coaches in place for a decade+. Those are case examinations as to what they have done, what kind of support they have, and what is and how has their compensation increased over those years. If we want to be a consistent program for running years, we have to figure out how to keep those in place creating this success. Grant couldn't or didn't want to be our Mark Few. We have to figure out how to get Ross to be our Mark Few, or the like. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There are so many successful mid-major programs that have long time successful coaches in place for a decade+. Those are case examinations as to what they have done, what kind of support they have, and what is and how has their compensation increased over those years. If we want to be a consistent program for running years, we have to figure out how to keep those in place creating this success. Grant couldn't or didn't want to be our Mark Few. We have to figure out how to get Ross to be our Mark Few, or the like. 

This is exactly my take. Mac was a West Texas guy at heart. Baylor or Tech were really the only two jobs I think he would have left for. 

Hodge on the other hand loves DFW. He has more ties here than anywhere I think and he feels it is home. I could see him being a long time coach that could build this program into a Villanova type.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You damn right. 

Sport junkies were watching UNT basketball prepping for championship Sunday. We gave them something fun to watch. And that's awesome. 

If we don't fund this operation the way it deserves to be funded, we will settle back into mediocrity, or worse. Take 1 to 1.5M away from football and give it to basketball. No one can convince me otherwise. 

Side Note: I am currently getting ducks in a row, as that's what it takes. Neverthless, I will be the largest public donor to the basketball NIL in the very near future. When I do donate, I look forward to someone unseating me. 

Agree 100%.  This basketball program has aroused some sports feelings I never thought I had.  I look so forward to every game and the enthusiasm in the Pit has become addictive.  I think we need to do everything we can to keep this nucleus together for as long as we can.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BigWillie said:

This is exactly my take. Mac was a West Texas guy at heart. Baylor or Tech were really the only two jobs I think he would have left for. 

Hodge on the other hand loves DFW. He has more ties here than anywhere I think and he feels it is home. I could see him being a long time coach that could build this program into a Villanova type.

Indeed. 

But what are his minimum expectations to stay... and I'm not trying to crown him as the continued savior of this program, but I like what I am seeing thus far. I think our admin has to start those conversations. Surround him with support early, with need AND want questions, etc. and commit to him as if he is committing to us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You damn right. 

Agree 

This program has done more with less 

• Upvote 1