Seeing the Morris signed re-ignited my interest

Saw his signing and I can”t lie it did arouse me in terms of the offense and what it could accomplish in year 2 of Coach Morris’ regime

Can one of you recruiting guys give me the low down on Chandler’s game?  Is he more of a pocket passer or more similar to Rodgers being able to use his legs?  How quick is his release?  What type of offense is he best suited to?  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

11 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Saw his signing and I can”t lie it did arouse me in terms of the offense and what it could accomplish in year 2 of Coach Morris’ regime

Can one of you recruiting guys give me the low down on Chandler’s game?  Is he more of a pocket passer or more similar to Rodgers being able to use his legs?  How quick is his release?  What type of offense is he best suited to?  

I don’t mean to rain on your parade but my understanding is that he committed but that transfers do not sign. If he is enrolled here for the fall semester, that would be his “signing”. Until then, he can pretty much do as he pleases much like a high school commit before signing day.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t mean to rain on your parade but my understanding is that he committed but that transfers do not sign. If he is enrolled here for the fall semester, that would be his “signing”. Until then, he can pretty much do as he pleases much like a high school commit before signing day.

let's hope Morris enrolls tomorrow for Spring Semester. 

Offense again will not be the issue, the lack of getting new playmakers on Defense is very concerning

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, untbowler said:

let's hope Morris enrolls tomorrow for Spring Semester. 

Offense again will not be the issue, the lack of getting new playmakers on Defense is very concerning

He won't be here until the summer.

• Upvote 4

Make no mistake, this was a good get for us. He has played well when he's had the chance, completing 66% of his passes for 16 TDs along with 5 INTs. And he's a coaches son so he understands the game of football. 

Let's be honest with ourselves, we're going to get two types of QB transfers. One moving up from a smaller school or one moving from a P5 in order to get playing time. Chandler Morris fits the latter and should be a good fit for our system. 

Edited by StealthEagle84
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

then we better cross our fingers we can hold onto him. He has no commitment to UNT other than verbal

They are all verbal now.  Nobody honors any commitment in college sports anymore.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, NT80 said:

They are all verbal now.  Nobody honors any commitment in college sports anymore.  

This is about transfers and their enrollment, vs. incoming HS recruits that sign a NLI.

Can we put the "college football is ruined" sentiment aside for 60 seconds and at least acknowledge a difference in the above commitments?

• Eye Roll 1

When guys sign NLI, that means something. When they announce a commitment, it has never and will never mean anything. The only thing that's really changed with that is the transfer rules have softened. These are not the same animal at all. 

Transfers are always verbal until they enroll in classes. That's why some express trepidation in counting on someone who isn't going to enroll until Summer or Fall. If they were coming in the Spring, we'd have a better idea about the position within the week. As it is right now, we could end up SOL at the last possible minute.

Happy with the talent and the commitment, but that doesn't mean we sit back like anything is done. But, I don't think the coaches are blind to that. They're taking the risk on talent, because that's what we have to do. 

12 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

When guys sign NLI, that means something. When they announce a commitment, it has never and will never mean anything. The only thing that's really changed with that is the transfer rules have softened. These are not the same animal at all. 

Transfers are always verbal until they enroll in classes. That's why some express trepidation in counting on someone who isn't going to enroll until Summer or Fall. If they were coming in the Spring, we'd have a better idea about the position within the week. As it is right now, we could end up SOL at the last possible minute.

Happy with the talent and the commitment, but that doesn't mean we sit back like anything is done. But, I don't think the coaches are blind to that. They're taking the risk on talent, because that's what we have to do. 

Sure a commitment means something, no coach would bother with them if it didn't.  There are no guarantees even if they sign a letter of intent.  

The facts are a player that commits is much more likely to sign than not.  

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Sure a commitment means something, no coach would bother with them if it didn't.  There are no guarantees even if they sign a letter of intent.  

The facts are a player that commits is much more likely to sign than not.  

With a NLI, they will have to sit out if they transfer, barring a coaching change. There's a VERY significant difference in NLI vs verbal commitment. Sure, they can transfer out after they get there (one quarter/semester and release request), but they still risk losing a year of competition.

Incoming freshmen on NLI is a completely different animal than transferring students. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

With a NLI, they will have to sit out if they transfer, barring a coaching change. There's a VERY significant difference in NLI vs verbal commitment. Sure, they can transfer out after they get there (one quarter/semester and release request), but they still risk losing a year of competition.

Incoming freshmen on NLI is a completely different animal than transferring students. 

No kidding, now address the main point; The facts are a player that commits is much more likely to sign than not.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1