($) Two P5 Transfer QBs Scheduled to Visit North Texas this week

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Oddly enough, the one probably most ready to start, Arch Manning, is just fine biding his time and waiting his turn, per sources.

You guys put way too much stock in his last name. Without the name the kid is a 3-star at best. He is definitely not his uncles or grandfather.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

The problem these days of NIL and Portal, especially at the QB position, they're in this generation of "want it now!"   All want to be starters, now....not just on the depth chart gaining experience and building their time.  Friends and peers push them to transfer to trying another situation instead of waiting their turn.

I wait my turn, then a potential Day 1 starter is brought in.  I’ve used up all of my eligibility waiting to be the guy, then I’m not.  Regardless of my love for my university, I’d rather jump in the portal to actually find a place to play.  See: Kason Martin

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You guys put way too much stock in his last name. Without the name the kid is a 3-star at best. He is definitely not his uncles or grandfather.

By you guys.. are you referring to every coach in the country and every recruiting service in the country.. 6CA899BE-B36F-4F86-910E-CCF912E3B87E.png1A0C08A2-5382-426C-B83D-AE5042A1DE14.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It’s doubtful he will choose us over USC

If he's visiting I'd imagine there's a good chance he lands here. He spent a year at OU and then three at TCU. If he's back in the portal, it's probably because he wants to start.

For those wondering about NIL money, Morris probably has a future in coaching if he's interested considering his dad has relationships that can help open doors. I don't think this is one of the situations where the guy is just chasing an NIL payday before being out of football.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I wait my turn, then a potential Day 1 starter is brought in.  I’ve used up all of my eligibility waiting to be the guy, then I’m not.  Regardless of my love for my university, I’d rather jump in the portal to actually find a place to play.  See: Kason Martin

Maybe had he stayed he would have become QB1 at NT.  Instead he played at DII or some lower level.  Good for him if that's what he wanted, but again didn't wait it out.   

This constant revolving door now with rosters is what is hurting the sport.   A complete team makeover each year.  It will age coaches and fans more than normal.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If he's visiting I'd imagine there's a good chance he lands here. He spent a year at OU and then three at TCU. If he's back in the portal, it's probably because he wants to start.

For those wondering about NIL money, Morris probably has a future in coaching if he's interested considering his dad has relationships that can help open doors. I don't think this is one of the situations where the guy is just chasing an NIL payday before being out of football.

He has history in this area, not Southern Cal.  NT is a good landing spot for athletes looking to stay in the DFW area.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Dude’s a true freshman and played what? A handful of snaps this year? How could you possibly know that yet?

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 3

Well I read about the two transfer quarterbacks coming to visit, and am honored as an Alum, class of '84 to join this fine forum. But is JD Head still around? I read so much about his potential when he transferred from Louisiana Tech that I was simply curious. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

By you guys.. are you referring to every coach in the country and every recruiting service in the country.. 6CA899BE-B36F-4F86-910E-CCF912E3B87E.png1A0C08A2-5382-426C-B83D-AE5042A1DE14.png

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Dude’s a true freshman and played what? A handful of snaps this year? How could you possibly know that yet?

You guys may be right. He has legitimate 5-star size. I’ve stood close enough to put my arm around him since he has been in Austin so I can verify that part. We can revisit this in a few years but if you look at when he played against good schools in Louisiana, he played pretty poorly. Just look at the tape from his last HS playoff game. He is the product of notoriety. Barry Sanders Jr had plenty of offers too as did Snoop Dogg’s son.

I will say after watching that game again, the University receiver/returner may be worth a pwo look.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 3

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Maybe had he stayed he would have become QB1 at NT.  Instead he played at DII or some lower level.  Good for him if that's what he wanted, but again didn't wait it out.   

This constant revolving door now with rosters is what is hurting the sport.   A complete team makeover each year.  It will age coaches and fans more than normal.

Kason waited for 3 years and then took his talents elsewhere. Waiting for a 4th year to "maybe" get the starting job is asinine. He left and got a starting job, so that's good for him. I get that the constant revolving door is super annoying, but it's nowhere near the same when it comes to cases like Kason Martin. Sometimes it's ok to put themselves first if the opportunities aren't arising in their current situation

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Kason waited for 3 years and then took his talents elsewhere. Waiting for a 4th year to "maybe" get the starting job is asinine. He left and got a starting job, so that's good for him. I get that the constant revolving door is super annoying, but it's nowhere near the same when it comes to cases like Kason Martin. Sometimes it's ok to put themselves first if the opportunities aren't arising in their current situation

Completely agree.  And I'm not one to defend Kason as his bouncing around on the sideline antics and eyeblack facepaint annoyed me quite a bit and so many on here were clamoring for his opportunity after a small sample size in a blowout bowl game loss.  That said, it was clear he was a great kid with enough talent to start somewhere and he was also a great teammate and loved NT.  His case is way different than these kids who are bouncing around to 3+ schools.

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Maybe he just wasn't good enough for NT?  Seth obviously thought so by keeping him on the bench. 

Maybe Seth's judgement about QB's was the issue and not the program??????

• Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Maybe he just wasn't good enough for NT?  Seth obviously thought so by keeping him on the bench. 

Maybe Seth's judgement about QB's was the issue and not the program??????

Kason was not a FBS arm. Smart kid, great teammate, he went and played at a level more suited to his talent. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/3/2024 at 1:24 PM, UNTLifer said:

Salter originally signed with Tennessee out of high school but got into trouble with the law.  Liberty accepted him, imagine that, and gave him a chance to clean up his act, which he supposedly has done, and now he wants back in the P5 ranks.  This is what I dislike.  Liberty gave him a shot when many others didn't want to touch him and this is what they get in return, not that I really like Liberty.

Anyway, he won't give us a second look unless he ends up with no other options.

You could say that what Liberty got in return was a 13-0 regular season, top-25 ranking and the opportunity to play in a new year's bowl.  Not bad for giving a kid a chance.

Obviously things didn't work out in the bowl game, but they never were going to work out.  The selection committee knew it too.  They will now be able to say, "look, we gave a 13-0 G5 team a chance and this is what happens against a superior P5 team.  There's really no argument going forward that a 13-0 or 12-1 G5 team should be in the playoff over a 9-3 Kentucky or 10-3 Penn State or any 9 or 10 win P5 team for that matter."

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I see Okie State's qb is coming back for his 7th year.  hard to believe that is possible.  when does this covid year extra year end?

I think he got a "Covid Variant" year.

• Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1