Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

On 1/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, MeanGreenGlory said:

He's proven he's an effective QB and knows the system.

Why start over with an unproven QB if you have a proven player who can build off a productive year and move the team forward faster?

He's not coming back.  Add to that, he already proved his lack of loyalty, not just to us, but everywhere he's been. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He's not the guy at Texas State, though. 

Nor has he been anywhere. This is a guy with like 50 career passing attempts in four years as a college QB. Not what we are looking for.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Why? What is the upside? If the young guy produces, he is just going to transfer as soon as he can. You will never see those additional years of value.

That's not true and there's pleny of current examples at the G5 level of starters staying at their schools. Also, the guy who's been riding the bench for 4 seasons has been on the bench for a reason. 99.9% of the time, he's not FBS starting quality.

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think the main thing we need is an accurate passer.  Preferably a player who has some game experience.  

Seeing a few more QB’s entering the portal yesterday gives me confidence that we’ll land a high quality QB. 

You mean like Mason Fine? The record setting QB that never won a conference championship game or a bowl game?

I am not attempting to denigrate his statistical accomplishments, but it takes more than an accurate passer to build a winning program. 

It is a good start however. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You mean like Mason Fine? The record setting QB that never won a conference championship game or a bowl game?

I am not attempting to denigrate his statistical accomplishments, but it takes more than an accurate passer to build a winning program. 

It is a good start however. 

I think an accurate QB is a very good place to start!  Don’t turn the ball over and distribute the ball to our playmakers.  It helps our defense and our running game. 

• Upvote 1

Well, it's late in the game but Kamien Salter, the Liberty quarterback who just led them to an unbeaten regular season just entered the portal.  He is now listed as a 4-star quarterback.  I see him as the best available.  I'd like to see us offer him.  He's from Cedar Hill so he could be in Denton in an hour if he's home.  It's rare that an FBS team goes unbeaten in the regular season so he must be special.

There could be a problem in that it's too late to sign him according to the chart posted.  If he's interested maybe pay his tuition and room and board from NIL money so that he can enroll and be eligible for spring training.  Then he could be signed at the spring signing date.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Well, it's late in the game but Kamien Salter, the Liberty quarterback who just led them to an unbeaten regular season just entered the portal.  He is now listed as a 4-star quarterback.  I see him as the best available.  I'd like to see us offer him.  He's from Cedar Hill so he could be in Denton in an hour if he's home.  It's rare that an FBS team goes unbeaten in the regular season so he must be special.

There could be a problem in that it's too late to sign him according to the chart posted.  If he's interested maybe pay his tuition and room and board from NIL money so that he can enroll and be eligible for spring training.  Then he could be signed at the spring signing date.

Not coming here.  He's looking for another P5 gig after doing stupid things at TN.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Read he received $200,000 - $300,000 at Liberty. Looking for at least $500,000. UNT did offer him out of HS. Dallas Morning News' Offensive Player of the Year. Best looking QB I saw in HS a few years ago. Brother Kylan Salter is a Fr. LB at TCU who played with Zhaiylen Scott (UNT recruit)

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

8 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Read he received $200,000 - $300,000 at Liberty. Looking for at least $500,000. UNT did offer him out of HS. Dallas Morning News' Offensive Player of the Year. Best looking QB I saw in HS a few years ago. Brother Kylan Salter is a Fr. LB at TCU who played with Zhaiylen Scott (UNT recruit)

This is totally the problem with college football now!  Not looking at education or school program to be a team leader, it's ONLY about a payday!   

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is totally the problem with college football now!  Not looking at education or school program to be a team leader, it's ONLY about a payday!   

Good paydays can pay for good education down the line, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Good paydays can pay for good education down the line, right?

I won’t say none, but less than 10% will save any to go back to school. One kid showed up to his signing day event driving a Lamborghini. Pro athletes go broke trying to outdo their buddies and they are pros. These kids have it spent before it hits their bank account. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That's not true and there's pleny of current examples at the G5 level of starters staying at their schools. 

Like Chandler Rogers?

I’m just saying, at this point, at UNT’s position, under the current rules: we are recruiting kids for one year at a time. 
And I am not advocating that we pick up a P2 benchwarmer. I’d rather see us get a Sun Belt/C-USA/FCS starter with reps under his belt. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Like Chandler Rogers?

I’m just saying, at this point, at UNT’s position, under the current rules: we are recruiting kids for one year at a time. 
And I am not advocating that we pick up a P2 benchwarmer. I’d rather see us get a Sun Belt/C-USA/FCS starter with reps under his belt. 

So you'd want us to get another Chandler Rogers who will leave after a year?

If I'm not mistaken, there are only three AAC schools who have lost their starting QB to the portal: us, FAU, and Temple. Every other QB is either out of eligibility or returning to their school. USF's freshman QB just put up 3300 passing yards 26 TDs to 11 Ints with 800 rushing yards and 11 rush TDs and he announced he's returning. He may leave after next year but they all leave eventually.  Seth Henigan is returning. Again, us, FAU, and Temple are the only AAC schools losing their starters to the portal and FAU's transfered to FCS Florida A&M.

It's all the same. Give me the guy with upside who may stay instead of the guy who's rode the pine for 4 years and will require a replacement after a year anyways. And again, the SBC guy with reps that we got left aftera year too.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

In today's landscape, I want anyone who makes the team better one year at a time. If that means a transfer QB who is one and done at UNT, so be it.

BINGO* in todays age of college football it is find the best player availble. This is not just North Texas. Everyone is dealing with it. USC is having QB hit portal. Liberty is paying QBs 6 figures they are leaving. Texas has QBs hit the portal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NT80 said:

I hate to burst your bubble but star football players weren’t looking at a schools academic standards in the past either. As former Ohio State QB Cardale Jones said back in 2012, “we ain’t come to play school”. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1