List of HS Signees for the '24 UNT Football Class

GMG24

22 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Last guy we got from SFA was a 2 time All-American, I think SFA is able to evaluate talent.  🤷‍♂️

Would take anyone that has been under Carthel as coach, obviously other schools think the same since they have been stealing players and coaches from SFA since Carthel arrived

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

Would take anyone that has been under Carthel as coach, obviously other schools think the same since they have been stealing players and coaches from SFA since Carthel arrived

If someone looked at SFA' past 3 or 4 seasons they would get what your saying.  

For these players we're flipping from FCS schools, hopefully the staff if doing a good job projecting their ability to keep progressing and also their ability to add weight.

• Upvote 1

• GMG24 changed the title to List of HS Signees for the '24 UNT Football Class
3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is a nice pickup, and he's going to be a Spring enrollee according to his Twitter, so he'll have extra time to try and crack the 2-deep this year.

He's a center so will probably start in the 2 deep as I am not sure what is left at that position.

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one who has a problem with using the terminology of flipping a player from a lower classification school?

It happens to NT plenty, but I don't see it as a big accomplishment on the surface

Most athletes are going to go for the team in the best conference that they get an offer from.  

Not referring to any particular player, but NT flipping a player that was going to the the Southland, WAC, SWAC. etc. is not usually a big achievement.  

What it really represents is that NT is taking backup players when they didn't get the players that they originally offered ships, which all schools do.  

Before I get a bunch of examples of great recruits that were not highly sought, I certainly realize that often happens.  I also congratulate anyone that gets a scholarship, it is a major accomplishment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:27 PM, GrandGreen said:

Am I the only one who has a problem with using the terminology of flipping a player from a lower classification school?

It happens to NT plenty, but I don't see it as a big accomplishment on the surface

Most athletes are going to go for the team in the best conference that they get an offer from.  

Not referring to any particular player, but NT flipping a player that was going to the the Southland, WAC, SWAC. etc. is not usually a big achievement.  

What it really represents is that NT is taking backup players when they didn't get the players that they originally offered ships, which all schools do.  

Before I get a bunch of examples of great recruits that were not highly sought, I certainly realize that often happens.  I also congratulate anyone that gets a scholarship, it is a major accomplishment. 

There are a lot of very good players in FCS just take a look at how many hit the portal every year and get picked up by FBS teams. Some of these guys could have been overlooked due to many reasons and if our coaches are doing their due diligence and spot one that they believe can be developed then yes it's still a flip based on the fact that all that means is you just took someone from a team that they had committed to. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Pre-Portal I would completely and totally agree with you.  However, now that the portal is here there are ALOT more players available that wouldn't be if the portal wasn't here.  In turn that allows for better players to fall to lower level teams, what I would look to for each of the individual cases where you may be concerned about a "Flip" is how many other schools offered the kid.  The more schools that think the kid is worth a scholarship, the more likely they are to be a player at that level.  Like you said there are outliers but those are more miss than hit. 

Example: I have a 6'4" 275 17 year old Guard/Center who played LT for us.  He has multiple Juco offers and a few D2, one FCS has come through but hasn't offered yet.  HC from Angelo State told him in my office, pre-portal you are a Power 5 kid you have great length and frame, it is a shame what the portal has done to recruiting, BUT I am now able to talk to young men like you and have a chance to recruit you. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The only pushback I’d offer is Landon Sides.  He was committed to Colorado School of Mines and we flipped him.  A few on the board were not too excited about the pickup. He’s clearly a good player, though  

I just think with as many relationships/connections this staff has in the state, they are going to find the talent.  Some of our recruits will have multiple offers, some may have a few.  If the kid can play, this staff will identify them.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think the biggest quote from what you said is "Most athletes are going to go for the team in the best conference that they get an offer from." 

A lot of the times, recruits just fall through the cracks. There are just so many guys that recruiting staffs have to look for, and then they have to evaluate each player and see if they're suitable. A lot of being recruited is obviously about player skill, but there's more luck involved than people realize. 

Rockwall, which is a 6A D1 football program, had a RB this year rush for 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns. Crazy stats, right? His best offer was from UTEP. He's 5'11 190, so he has a smaller frame, but you still have to wonder how he didn't garner a little more attention with those kinds of numbers. To me, that just further shows how recruiting is such a mixed bag. Really good players fall through the cracks all the time until someone like Coach O stumbles upon their tape and realizes what everyone else is missing out on

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, GoGreenBeans said:

I think the biggest quote from what you said is "Most athletes are going to go for the team in the best conference that they get an offer from." 

A lot of the times, recruits just fall through the cracks. There are just so many guys that recruiting staffs have to look for, and then they have to evaluate each player and see if they're suitable. A lot of being recruited is obviously about player skill, but there's more luck involved than people realize. 

Rockwall, which is a 6A D1 football program, had a RB this year rush for 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns. Crazy stats, right? His best offer was from UTEP. He's 5'11 190, so he has a smaller frame, but you still have to wonder how he didn't garner a little more attention with those kinds of numbers. To me, that just further shows how recruiting is such a mixed bag. Really good players fall through the cracks all the time until someone like Coach O stumbles upon their tape and realizes what everyone else is missing out on

No such thing as falling through the cracks.  Not in this day and age with twitter and instagram access to every coach in the country.  What has changed is the recruiting landscape.  The P5 will primarily LIVE in the world of the portal, and 4 and 5 star athletes.  5 star is basically predicting the kid is a 1st round NFL talent, 4 star is a chance to get drafted more or less.  3 star they just slap those ratings on guys like hot cakes because its easy and they're lazy. 

P5's used to drop from the 4 stars when they lost out on them or someone flipped them, would then come and raid a team like say North Texas who had some really good 3 stars committed and they'd offer and the kid would typically chase the bigger offer.  

Now that the portal is here instead of them trying to find a HS kid they just use a college kid who already has experience with college life, practice, academics etc.  Now there is an abundance of kids like a majority of the ones we signed that lets face it prior to the portal UNT doesn't land 2/3 of the class.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No such thing as falling through the cracks.  Not in this day and age with twitter and instagram access to every coach in the country.  What has changed is the recruiting landscape.  The P5 will primarily LIVE in the world of the portal, and 4 and 5 star athletes.  5 star is basically predicting the kid is a 1st round NFL talent, 4 star is a chance to get drafted more or less.  3 star they just slap those ratings on guys like hot cakes because its easy and they're lazy. 

P5's used to drop from the 4 stars when they lost out on them or someone flipped them, would then come and raid a team like say North Texas who had some really good 3 stars committed and they'd offer and the kid would typically chase the bigger offer.  

Now that the portal is here instead of them trying to find a HS kid they just use a college kid who already has experience with college life, practice, academics etc.  Now there is an abundance of kids like a majority of the ones we signed that lets face it prior to the portal UNT doesn't land 2/3 of the class.

So are you in agreeance with how Morris is handling our recruiting strategy?  How would you do it differently?

53 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So are you in agreeance with how Morris is handling our recruiting strategy?  How would you do it differently?

I’d do it exactly how he’s doing it understanding in a year or two maybe 3 after production those guys will probably enter portal.  I’d probably have addressed DL a little harder via portal, but that’s their decision. The problem is with each room I don’t know what they have eligibility wise.  You have to balance a roster you can’t have a DL room full of 9 seniors and 2 freshman then you’re stuck with what you can bring in. You’d like to have 2/3 in each class as far as eligibility 3 with 1 year left 3 with 2 years left, 3 with 3 years, and 2/3 with 4 years left that way you aren’t chasing your tail one year bc 6/7 young men out of the room graduate

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I’d probably have addressed DL a little harder via portal, but that’s their decision.

I’m curious to know if they feel confident in the dline as it is. 

I don’t see many offers going out. Maybe they’re waiting for the spring portal?  Maybe they feel good about the development of the current guys paired with the incoming freshmen?  I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I think we need at least one more JUCO/TP Dlineman, but I’m just a fan. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m curious to know if they feel confident in the dline as it is. 

I don’t see many offers going out. Maybe they’re waiting for the spring portal?  Maybe they feel good about the development of the current guys paired with the incoming freshmen?  I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I think we need at least one more JUCO/TP Dlineman, but I’m just a fan. 

Defensively the DL wasn’t as big of an issue as everyone is making it out to be, linebackers and safeties have responsibilities in run game and they did a poor job of filling those roles.  Only time I had a problem with 3 down was when teams got in 12 personnel and lined up in double tight and we had 3 guys on LOS and they had 7… I’m not the smartest guy but that allows all 3 DL to be double teamed with an extra to leave for a backer. 

I could see them grabbing one more DL if a GameChanger becomes available. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Defensively the DL wasn’t as big of an issue as everyone is making it out to be, linebackers and safeties have responsibilities in run game and they did a poor job of filling those roles.  Only time I had a problem with 3 down was when teams got in 12 personnel and lined up in double tight and we had 3 guys on LOS and they had 7… I’m not the smartest guy but that allows all 3 DL to be double teamed with an extra to leave for a backer. 

@GMG24 Thanks for your analysis on the recruits and viewpoints on the current team. 

It seems we had guys in place to make tackles this year, and they would simply whiff and the ball carrier would grab another 5-10 yards. I'm excited for some of these transfer safeties. They come downhill and tackle. I think Justin Brown, Ethan Wesloski, and JJ-Jean Louis are going to be the main LBs next year. Hopefully everyone benefits from a full season under the new strength and conditioning staff. Morris talked a lot about this during his interview.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I somewhat agree with this as it pertains to the run game, guys weren't executing tackles. I do have an issue with the 3 man as it pertains to containment of mobile quarterbacks. Too many times this past season I watched an end get pressure only for a mobile QB to escape and there be nobody to finish off the play. In other words, a "coverage sack" doesn't seem to exist with a 3 man front. What's the solution to that? Is it linebackers doing a better job of jumping into the backfield when they see the opposing QB is scrambling? Or should we expect to see more pass blitzing from the DB position now that we have more size and athleticism at that position?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

@GMG24 Thanks for your analysis on the recruits and viewpoints on the current team. 

It seems we had guys in place to make tackles this year, and they would simply whiff and the ball carrier would grab another 5-10 yards. I'm excited for some of these transfer safeties. They come downhill and tackle. I think Justin Brown, Ethan Wesloski, and JJ-Jean Louis are going to be the main LBs next year. Hopefully everyone benefits from a full season under the new strength and conditioning staff. Morris talked a lot about this during his interview.

Before spring, the LB group sounds good with those three.  I’m excited to see how our early enrollees perform this spring, too.  

You’re right.  Too many missed tackles. Guys seemed to be in position, but couldn’t bring the runner down.   

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I somewhat agree with this as it pertains to the run game, guys weren't executing tackles. I do have an issue with the 3 man as it pertains to containment of mobile quarterbacks. Too many times this past season I watched an end get pressure only for a mobile QB to escape and there be nobody to finish off the play. In other words, a "coverage sack" doesn't seem to exist with a 3 man front. What's the solution to that? Is it linebackers doing a better job of jumping into the backfield when they see the opposing QB is scrambling? Or should we expect to see more pass blitzing from the DB position now that we have more size and athleticism at that position?

Yes, I hope to see the same addressed.  We seemed to drop 8 a lot and LBs running to places on field where no WR was within 10/15 yards I’d like to see guys when they turn to their zone with nothing threatening eyes back on QB for help with scramble drill.  The other option which is prob better imo is to bring an extra person via pressure from any level Corner, Safety, or LB that’s what makes 3-3-5 so tough is pressure can come from anywhere on the field with multiple coverages matched behind those blitzes

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Yes, I hope to see the same addressed.  We seemed to drop 8 a lot and LBs running to places on field where no WR was within 10/15 yards I’d like to see guys when they turn to their zone with nothing threatening eyes back on QB for help with scramble drill.  The other option which is prob better imo is to bring an extra person via pressure from any level Corner, Safety, or LB that’s what makes 3-3-5 so tough is pressure can come from anywhere on the field with multiple coverages matched behind those blitzes

Yes the extra DB is supposed to allow you to bring pressure from anywhere but we rarely seemed to do that successfully this past season. You can't drop 5+ into coverage and still allow big passing plays and have nobody finish tackles and so on. Recipe for disaster as we saw.

• Sad 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Yes the extra DB is supposed to allow you to bring pressure from anywhere but we rarely seemed to do that successfully this past season. You can't drop 5+ into coverage and still allow big passing plays and have nobody finish tackles and so on. Recipe for disaster as we saw.

You can have the best DBs in the world, but if there’s no pressure it has no meaning. Letting the QB and WRs extend plays allows someone to get open every time

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

You can have the best DBs in the world, but if there’s no pressure it has no meaning. Letting the QB and WRs extend plays allows someone to get open every time

Yes but the supposed benefit of the 3-3-5 is that you can bring extra pressure from any of the defensive backs and because that, you can keep the QB guessing as to where it's going to come from or you can just drop everybody into coverage to keep the QB guessing. You can do this with other schemes but the 5 DBs is supposed to give more flexibility due to the increased speed and athleticism on the field.

• Upvote 1