UTA (12/23/2023)

Big Z

On 12/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, CMJ said:

Every season there are a two or three games that really have the ability to pivot your season one way or the other.  IMHO, this is one of those.  Get a W and we may be able to get this campaign straightened out in the way we want.  Should we lose, I'll be concerned about our ability to get our heads on right for the league slate.

So far a good pivot! Walker is an elite on ball defender. I’m not sure in all my years watching UNT we’ve had a better one.  I’m fairly young but been watching since I started school in 2009

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Wow, for one of our beat games of the season, this thread was dead! Guess fans were on Christmas break too!!

With that said, this was the most complete game against a team that hung around with TTech. 

The BBall threads during games have been dead for a while (like about the last 4 games). I don't know where everyone goes during games. This one was at least a home game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

The BBall threads during games have been dead for a while (like about the last 4 games). I don't know where everyone goes during games. This one was at least a home game.

We were at the game. At least for most of it. Just bummed we lost to Fordham. Everything else was fine but that took the wind out the sails. 

• Upvote 3

This was a great result. And i would like to think everything is better now. But looking at the stat sheet I can't help but notice that the SIssoko of last season is still nowhere to be found on offense. In 19 minutes he was 0/0 from the field, and 0/0 from the stripe, with 1 assist. Was not a problem today. But it needs to be addressed because it will be a problem again, and was a problem multiple times this season, where 1-2 baskets more from him would have changed the outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

It was a win against a team they were supposed to beat.  That said, the team was way to dependent on shooting the 3, they ran the exact same play every time, and even when UTA would pressure the perimeter UNT struggled to find ways inside.  They did get away with some sloppy play, particularly while in bounding the ball and under the basket, AAC teams will punish sloppy play.  One trend I am liking is the rebounding on both sides of the floor and the way the guards are playing on defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Yes, but it had started even before Fordham, also with some away games.

I think there's just fan disappointment with the early season results. Lost by 1 to St John, ok fine. Then lost to a mediocre LSU team after having a small lead late in the second half which sucked. Then you blow two leads to Boise State and Fordham. Felt like all 4 of those should have been wins but we didn't capitalize on any. We played in a good early season tournament and didn't capitalize. We've watched low major and mid major schools left and right come up with big wins early this season but none came by us. I get losing Tylor Perry but other teams have surely lost players as well and even then, less talented rosters have figured out ways to get upset wins but we haven't. Getting blown out by Mississippi State also doesn't help.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

This was a great result. And i would like to think everything is better now. But looking at the stat sheet I can't help but notice that the SIssoko of last season is still nowhere to be found on offense.  In 19 minutes he was 0/0 from the field, and 0/0 from the stripe, with 1 assist. Was not a problem today. But it needs to be addressed because it will be a problem again, and was a problem multiple times this season, where 1-2 baskets more from him would have changed the outcome.

Yes, the post position must become more involved in the scoring.   We need both an inside and outside game.   When our 3-pointers are not falling or facing tough defense on the outside then Sissoko (0 points) and Allen (1 point) will be counted on.    Time to practice it is in these lopsided games.

• Upvote 2