8 games in: what do we now know of the Hodge era?

greenminer

Honestly, I see only one difference to a typical grant maacCasland at UNT season so far: With Grant teams usually started the season slow but we KNEW they would gel later, with Hodge we have yet to be certain that he can do that. At least i feel like the team is having the heart and work ethic. If it develops the clutch remains to be seen.

• Upvote 4

things I want to see (but know I probably won't bc like GM's teams, what we see is likely what we're getting the rest of the season):

- an offensive system that is actively putting the ball in Scott's hands around 15-17ft out and letting him work...whether it be the Thomas Bell back-down, or facing up from the low block-extended. especially against Boise I didn't feel like the ball was going through him enough, he almost seemed to accidentally end up with looks and he seemed rushed to get them up. a few more kick out wing/corner threes (he's shooting 48% from deep) would be nice too.

- Robert Allen starting at the 5. I'm the one constantly harping it doesn't matter who starts...Edwards for example is in his perfect role...but Allen is clearly so far beyond Sissoko right now. honestly, outside his brilliant OSU game, I'm really not sure what everyone saw in Sissoko to anoint him an automatic starter. he's a fine back-up, but Allen is doing so much more. minutes distribution is starting to reflect that, but I'd like to see his energy from the start. this team desperately misses Abou.  

- Rubin continuing to be assertive looking to score. there was a stretch before he fouled out where Rubin went 3-4 times to the hoop and seemingly finished with ease. if that means taking him off the ball for stretches (Noland is a more than capable initiating 1), I'm here for it. 

everything else, I think we've kinda gotta live with. I get the temptation to want to see Cotton and Moore...I gotta trust in Hodge's assessment of what he's seen in practice here. this is EXACTLY the bill sold with Buggs (scoring numbers are down, but so too are his shots...percentages are comparable...and if you check his game log from last season he had some big 0-fer nights at UTSA, including twice going 0-10 from the field. dude is streaky) and Stone is filling a role no one else on the roster can (3/4-combo) 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

things I want to see (but know I probably won't bc like GM's teams, what we see is likely what we're getting the rest of the season):

- an offensive system that is actively putting the ball in Scott's hands around 15-17ft out and letting him work...whether it be the Thomas Bell back-down, or facing up from the low block-extended. especially against Boise I didn't feel like the ball was going through him enough, he almost seemed to accidentally end up with looks and he seemed rushed to get them up. a few more kick out wing/corner threes (he's shooting 48% from deep) would be nice too.

- Robert Allen starting at the 5. I'm the one constantly harping it doesn't matter who starts...Edwards for example is in his perfect role...but Allen is clearly so far beyond Sissoko right now. honestly, outside his brilliant OSU game, I'm really not sure what everyone saw in Sissoko to anoint him an automatic starter. he's a fine back-up, but Allen is doing so much more. minutes distribution is starting to reflect that, but I'd like to see his energy from the start. this team desperately misses Abou.  

- Rubin continuing to be assertive looking to score. there was a stretch before he fouled out where Rubin went 3-4 times to the hoop and seemingly finished with ease. if that means taking him off the ball for stretches (Noland is a more than capable initiating 1), I'm here for it. 

everything else, I think we've kinda gotta live with. I get the temptation to want to see Cotton and Moore...I gotta trust in Hodge's assessment of what he's seen in practice here. this is EXACTLY the bill sold with Buggs (scoring numbers are down, but so too are his shots...percentages are comparable...and if you check his game log from last season he had some big 0-fer nights at UTSA, including twice going 0-10 from the field. dude is streaky) and Stone is filling a role no one else on the roster can (3/4-combo) 

Do you still see this team as having an opportunity to be NCAA tourney good?  I mean, I see the potential and they have played some very good teams.  They just seem to be coming up short at the end and there has not been a guy to fill the shoes of Tylor.  I was hoping for Aron to be that but he is not quite there. I also would really like to see more from Cotton. He looks talented.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I'm still very confident in Hodge. We knew there would be growing pains with such a young HC taking over. This year won't be perfect. Just need to see growth from Hodge and the team when it comes to the final stretch of games. Having Perry and Hamlet spoiled us for sure, but we need our team to close now, we can't rely on a single player anymore to take over

• Upvote 1

A post from the Boise fan forum applies to this thread (we need to develop more depth)...

"Right on. And I would add that it was our depth that won this game. The NT starting five was better than ours. Better guard play, better rebounding. More quickness and more athletic. Just better all around. But once their two studs fouled out the tables turned. Both teams had a ton of fouls. But we were able to sit guys with foul trouble with the replacements being almost as good. The NT replacements couldn’t make our squad. We won like SDSU won last year. Depth and outlasting the opposition."

https://247sports.com/college/boise-state/board/103544/Contents/north-texas-222388844/?page=5

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I do think we have some deficiencies over last year, especially in the 5 spot. I want Sissoko to have a huge breakout as much as everybody else, but Allen needs to be the starter and let Sissoko build up his confidence with bench minutes. We are really missing those consistent 8-10 points from a post that seal games away, and let you build leads. Buggs and Noland need to be a little more consistent. Even with that said we have been in games, in the last moments we have missed layups and shot ourselves in the foot. I don't know if that's pressure/mental lapses/coaching/, etc., but if we can at least force the other team to beat us that would be a huge improvement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I do think we have some deficiencies over last year, especially in the 5 spot. I want Sissoko to have a huge breakout as much as everybody else, but Allen needs to be the starter and let Sissoko build up his confidence with bench minutes. We are really missing those consistent 8-10 points from a post that seal games away, and let you build leads. Buggs and Noland need to be a little more consistent. Even with that said we have been in games, in the last moments we have missed layups and shot ourselves in the foot. I don't know if that's pressure/mental lapses/coaching/, etc., but if we can at least force the other team to beat us that would be a huge improvement. 

Agree Allen should be starting.  There seemed to be a lot of strategy against Boise, especially 2nd half, to dribble inside and try and draw fouls to get us to the free throw line.  And it worked somewhat as we were in the double bonus with like 9 minutes remaining. 

But then we over-worked it inside and got sloppy and made bad passes and had turnovers, plus we started getting our own fouls in bulk.  The end was just pitiful.  We went up tempo instead of running clock and drawing fouls (a formula for winning the past 5 years) and we gave the game away!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/7/2023 at 1:29 AM, scratch1976 said:

He can't close games out! 

Until he does. The final 2 critical score possessions (down 4 or less) had shots taken by Buggs & Nolan (air ball). The last drive to the basket by Edwards with less than 5 seconds remaining meant nothing as there are not 5 point plays. You want a closer, then give him the ball. I for one would like to see him become a part of the offense and stop standing in the deep corner. Most of his shots are horrible in my opinion. They seem rushed - hurried. It’s like if he gets it he has to shoot it because it may never come his way again. The lone 3 he hit was a designed play (I know the play because we ran it when I played). I couldn’t believe they never ran it again. The craziest of things is that he is the youngest & least experienced of the 8 man rotation AND he is not received very well here. YET, in his short tenure, he has put up equal to or better numbers than your God Tylor Perry in his first season at UNT.  Only exception is that your God was a true Junior! 

Nothing wrong with having favorites. I admit Matt Stone is mine. But not seeing the gem we have in #2 is just odd. True validation to the phrase “We can be in the same place, at the same time, watching the same thing, yet see totally different things.”

My first introduction to UNT was when Virginia missed the NCAA and played in the NIT. Your God couldn’t save you that day.  5 of 13 shooting 2-7 from 3 and 4 TOs. Played 45 minutes and produced 16 points to a bad UVA squad. #2 has to play 2 games to get to 45 mins. This was your God’s 32nd game of Year 3. Ease up on #2. It’s been 8 regular season games - 8! 

The way the roster is currently constructed, I could see him follow in the same footsteps as your God. AAC 6MOY and hit the portal. He’s already done enough to show he can play if he isn’t hidden in a corner while the team plays 4-on-4 basketball. 

• Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

20 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Until he does. The final 2 critical score possessions (down 4 or less) had shots taken by Buggs & Nolan (air ball). The last drive to the basket by Edwards with less than 5 seconds remaining meant nothing as there are not 5 point plays. You want a closer, then give him the ball. I for one would like to see him become a part of the offense and stop standing in the deep corner. Most of his shots are horrible in my opinion. They seem rushed - hurried. It’s like if he gets it he has to shoot it because it may never come his way again. The lone 3 he hit was a designed play (I know the play because we ran it when I played). I couldn’t believe they never ran it again. The craziest of things is that he is the youngest & least experienced of the 8 man rotation AND he is not received very well here. YET, in his short tenure, he has put up equal to or better numbers than your God Tylor Perry in his first season at UNT.  Only exception is that your God was a true Junior! 

Nothing wrong with having favorites. I admit Matt Stone is mine. But not seeing the gem we have in #2 is just odd. True validation to the phrase “We can be in the same place, at the same time, watching the same thing, yet see totally different things.”

My first introduction to UNT was when Virginia missed the NCAA and played in the NIT. Your God couldn’t save you that day.  5 of 13 shooting 2-7 from 3 and 4 TOs. Played 45 minutes and produced 16 points to a bad UVA squad. #2 has to play 2 games to get to 45 mins. This was your God’s 32nd game of Year 3. Ease up on #2. It’s been 8 regular season games - 8! 

The way the roster is currently constructed, I could see him follow in the same footsteps as your God. AAC 6MOY and hit the portal. He’s already done enough to show he can play if he isn’t hidden in a corner while the team plays 4-on-4 basketball. 

huh?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

I’m excited for Edwards, but man! There is a ton of misfire here.

EDIT: oh! You’re a UVA grad, right? Are you currently enrolled at UNT?

Welcome to the board.

Edited by greenminer

On 12/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, HoosMeanGreen said:

I am a big Jason Edwards fan, but his basketball IQ is not very good. I think he will gain this. I too see the rushed shots by him, but that isn't because he doesn't get the chances. Look at his attempts per game. Right up there with starters.

What I see is he is trying to be the hero and jacking up all kinds of shots instead of looking for the best shot. Whether he will learn not to do this, we will see.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I am a big Jason Edwards fan, but his basketball IQ is not very good. I think he will gain this. I too see the rushed shots by him, but that isn't because he doesn't get the chances. Look at his attempts per game. Right up there with starters.

What I see is he is trying to be the hero and jacking up all kinds of shots instead of looking for the best shot. Whether he will learn not to do this, we will see.

Correct 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, greenminer said:

I’m excited for Edwards, but man! There is a ton of misfire here.

EDIT: oh! You’re a UVA grad, right? Are you currently enrolled at UNT?

Welcome to the board.

Yes. UVa grad - currently enrolled at UNT.  My username is a combination of the 2 nicknames (waHOOS + Mean Green) 

13 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I agree & disagree.  As a basketball junkie, I watch too many games and the first time I saw him I immediately knew his "problem".  It "looks" like he just jacks up shots.  So I found some of his prior games and is was eye opening to see the difference between then & now.  They ran sets for him at his last stop.  Here - not really.  That's was why I stated earlier that I think his shot selection is horrible.  I stand by that.  But I also think it is because they don't run anything for him.  So what does he do - he jack's up the first ball that hits his hand.  Ala a HORRIBLE selection for a shot attempt. Shot attempts are up there with the starters because he is taking bad shots.  If you ran no sets for me, then best believe that when I get it, I am shooting it.  Hmmm - maybe that's why I always get picked last at the outdoor courts. LOL!!!!!!!   

I think if he becomes a "part" of the offense, then his shooting splits will return to his last stop.  50% from the floor and 40% from 3PT land.

*Today vs Fordham he went 5-10 FG and 3-4 3PT FG  (It appears as though he is starting to learn.)      

351 teams in Division 1 men's basketball - 5 teams have their leading scorer coming off the bench - UNT is 1 of the 5

#GMG #GoHoos  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1