HE’S STILL HERE?

meangreenbob

Massively ineffective coaching jobs don't just suddenly fix themselves. I don't get this loyalty thing some coaches have. They don't have loyalty to the school. Why have loyalty to a guy that is going to cost you your job? Another year of this with similar results and you're labeled a dumbass. Teams you recruit against use it against you and predictably recruiting drops off. Then you become an alcoholic and a bad father.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

If Caponi stays and they have the same poor results next year I honestly think Morris should be fired as well. If he couldn't bring the right choice the first time, and let them stay around an extra year to waste it, why would we trust him with the next hire? 

A.  Caponi cannot be fired this year as an assistant with one year left on his contract.  We don't have the money.

B.  Morris certainly cannot be fired next year with 3 years left on his contract.  We don't have the money.

• Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

After 53 years of attending UNT football games I’ve earned my exemption. I’ve paid my dues. 

Your just a kid. I have 62 years invested , and you pay your dues monthly. At age 80 I have seen it all. The good,bad, and ugly. This year the offense was good, defense ugly, and overall the team was bad. My expectation is the we recruit hard on the defense side of the ball while my hope is that we can maintain an offense close to this years.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

With SL's final year at $1.6 million coming off the books in January, why doesn't the school have the money?

At the rate the A.D. has been able to gather the necessary funds for the AC building upgrade (or for any of our other planned athletics upgrades, for that matter), what makes you think the school does have the money?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

At the rate the A.D. has been able to gather the necessary funds for the AC building upgrade (or for any of our other planned athletics upgrades, for that matter), what makes you think the school does have the money?

Who paid the SL buyout, the school or boosters? Honest question. We're getting more TV money and a $1.6 million buyout could be coming off the books. There should be money to buyout the DC. If there's not, that contract shouldn't have been given.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Who paid the SL buyout, the school or boosters? Honest question. We're getting more TV money and a $1.6 million buyout could be coming off the books. There should be money to buyout the DC. If there's not, that contract shouldn't have been given.

If we can't afford to fire him why not just take away his responsibility?  Give him linebackers and let the LB coach call the schemes?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Please understand, paying coaches' buyouts are not part of the annual budget.  I can't tell you specifically how the A.D. came up with the money, but donor money was certainly involved.

And I am sure the A.D. has already figured the new T.V. money into the budget and what they're planning to do with it, and I doubt very much if any of that has been allocated to buying out coaches.

It certainly seems to me that a 2-year contract for an unproven coordinator (as opposed to, say, a Phil Bennet or John Skladany) is risky.  Apparently, Morris thought the risk was worth it and Mosely to some extent signed off on it, so they will have to bear some level of responsibility for it.  But if he can figure out a way to win games next year even if we have a crappy defense, his seat will remain cool in 2025.

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Please understand, paying coaches' buyouts are not part of the annual budget.  I can't tell you specifically how the A.D. came up with the money, but donor money was certainly involved.

And I am sure the A.D. has already figured the new T.V. money into the budget and what they're planning to do with it, and I doubt very much if any of that has been allocated to buying out coaches.

It certainly seems to me that a 2-year contract for an unproven coordinator (as opposed to, say, a Phil Bennet or John Skladany) is risky.  Apparently, Morris thought the risk was worth it and Mosely to some extent signed off on it, so they will have to bear some level of responsibility for it.  But if he can figure out a way to win games next year even if we have a crappy defense, his seat will remain cool in 2025.

Understood. I certainly don't think it's reasonable to ask donors to buy out another contract.

Regarding the TV money, a decision needs to be made by the AD. Are there any plans that can wait another year in order to salvage the biggest sport we play in Texas? It's potentially a critical point of Mosley's short tenure as it's his first football hire. Another bottom ranked defense with less than 6 wins may warm his seat as well.

I think what makes the defense so frustrating for me is how close we were to 8-9 wins. If we just had a serviceable defense, we'd have been a top team in the conference. Here's my fear: if we get the "easier" conference draw next year and as a result win 9 to 10 games, did we actually get better or did we just play an easier schedule? Does it matter? To me it does. These rotating conference opponents can give the false illusion of progress. We know this defense can't compete with the best in the conference. If that's where we want to be, that's what generates the change. An easier conference slate shouldn't change that.

• Upvote 1

I am also not convinced our schedule is going to be so easy. ECU FAU Navy Tulsa South Florida all aiming to get better like us. Trust, they see us as easy too. 

I too believe that if we see a repeat of this D under Caponi, both EM and Caponi should be let go. There are not years available to figure this out. 

Eric’s decision is his fate and I WANT him to build it HIS way. He must believe in all aspects and live with our record in 365 days. 

GMG

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yeah, I have no interest in hearing Morris talk about how anything will improve defensively until Caponi is replaced. I have no confidence in Caponi. And the longer Caponi remains, the less confidence I have in Morris. There are a lot of good offensive Air Raid coaches that fail as head coaches because they can't field solid defenses. So right now, Morris is looking a lot like Littrell, and we don't need more of that.

Were you at the UAB game?  If so, where were your seats?

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Were you at the UAB game?  If so, where were your seats?

Nope, I wasn't there. I decided not to attend after watching Morris' UAB press conference last Tuesday. His blind support of Caponi despite all the data surrounding his failure was too much for me to overlook. I watched the game on ESPN+. I watch every game.  Having said that, I did expect UNT to win the game. UAB was already locked into a sub .500 record for the season. They were not good. But, Caponi's defense sure made it interesting down the stretch. 

Since you asked, my season tickets are located in 205. I've had the same seats since DATCU/Apogee opened. 

I'm sure my comments above will trigger a few downvotes, eyerolls, & vomiting eagles, and that's okay. As I've stated before. I really don't care. I will still be here long after the coaches and administrators are gone. And most of the fans that are irritated by my outspokenness too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

54 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Nope, I wasn't there. I decided not to attend after watching Morris' UAB press conference last Tuesday. His blind support of Caponi despite all the data surrounding his failure was too much for me to overlook. I watched the game on ESPN+. I watch every game.  Having said that, I did expect UNT to win the game. UAB was already locked into a sub .500 record for the season. They were not good. But, Caponi's defense sure made it interesting down the stretch. 

Since you asked, my season tickets are located in 205. I've had the same seats since DATCU/Apogee opened. 

I'm sure my comments above will trigger a few downvotes, eyerolls, & vomiting eagles, and that's okay. As I've stated before. I really don't care. I will still be here long after the coaches and administrators are gone. And most of the fans that are irritated by my outspokenness too. 

I won’t be going next year until real changes are made.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A.  Caponi cannot be fired this year as an assistant with one year left on his contract.  We don't have the money.

B.  Morris certainly cannot be fired next year with 3 years left on his contract.  We don't have the money.

It's the UNT way I guess, not enough money to erase our mistakes. If he starts the same way next year I would hope Morris/the admin would have the astuteness to demote him after a few games and cut his salary until his contract is over. 

Let’s see what happens in the portal and early signing day. Let’s see how players develop with Kegans. Going up against the top 4 teams in the AAC leaves no doubt what the expectations are to compete.  It’s up to the coaches to recruit and develop. I’m excited to see how the off season plays out. GMG!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

That’s not how contracts work

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Some can.  They can have language that allows for re-assignment rather than termination.  And, with said reassignment, a new pay-rate.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've never heard of that.  Do you have a comparable example in college football?