Extend Caponi!

Mean Green 93-98

Caponi extension  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Caponi be extended?

• Easy there, tiger. One additional year should be fine. Okay, two years.
    • Five years
    • Lifetime

So with Morris claiming he supports Caponi....next year very well could be a repeat of this year...maybe one win or loss different.

( for you down voters)

All I see is NT just hired Seth Littrel 2.0. And the claim "Oh...but this conference is so much harder"!!! Sure...just keep saying that it.... helps with mental justification.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 3_n_out said:

We can’t afford losses with this program. Their DC and defense has blown arguably 3-4 games for us this year. Morris giving him the same amount of leash next season is t going to cut it. We keep wasting years we don’t have. 

20 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

So with Morris claiming he supports Caponi....next year very well could be a repeat of this year...maybe one win or loss different.

( for you down voters)

All I see is NT just hired Seth Littrel 2.0. And the claim "Oh...but this conference is so much harder"!!! Sure...just keep saying that it.... helps with mental justification.

I honestly believe this is a jimmy and joes problem. I can see morris giving him a full off season to over haul the defense. How many times over the year was there a guy in the postion to make a play and either whiffed on a tackled or didnt execute. More times than not. Even if you fired caponi and made another hire I think you are just setting back progress. 3rd DC in 5 years is not the answer. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I honestly believe this is a jimmy and joes problem. I can see morris giving him a full off season to over haul the defense. How many times over the year was there a guy in the postion to make a play and either whiffed on a tackled or didnt execute. More times than not. Even if you fired caponi and made another hire I think you are just setting back progress. 3rd DC in 5 years is not the answer. 

I’m not excusing the players at all. And, you’re definitely right - players are part of the problem. But, this is UNT. These will be the kind of players we often get until we breakthrough like UTSA has. Until the , the coaches need to possibly scheme for the players instead of vice versa

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Are you basically saying the players we have are incapable of learning to tackle? To me, its on the coach to be able to teach them some of the basics. There were also a lot of times where they were flat out of position, which resulted in big plays. 

I think saying this is a lack of talent is completely glossing over the failure at the coaching level.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Caponi did not have a full off season to build this defense, he had to make do with Littrell's left overs.  Expectations were not exactly high for this defense before Caponi, the defense lacked quality players and were expected to finish near the bottom of the conference.  PLayers were unable to execute tackles, that is on the players, not the DC. 

Those that want him fired, whats the plan?  Do you really expect UNT to hire a top DC?  someone that can instantly recruit and build a top defense in the conference?  Thats not going to happen! 

Changing the DC will effect recruiting, and we are just days away from the window opening, do we really want to throw away another year of recruiting? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Caponi did not have a full off season to build this defense, he had to make do with Littrell's left overs.  Expectations were not exactly high for this defense before Caponi, the defense lacked quality players and were expected to finish near the bottom of the conference.  PLayers were unable to execute tackles, that is on the players, not the DC. 

Those that want him fired, whats the plan?  Do you really expect UNT to hire a top DC?  someone that can instantly recruit and build a top defense in the conference?  Thats not going to happen! 

Changing the DC will effect recruiting, and we are just days away from the window opening, do we really want to throw away another year of recruiting? 

When do you make the change then? Give him a full year and sit through this again? I don't expect them to hire a top DC. My expectations are not even that high, but they are higher than LAST in the nation. As stated by many others on this forum, good coaches make things happen even with a bare cupboard. 

It was painfully obvious that he did not play to the players strengths throughout the season and kept trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Sometimes you have to not make excuses and look at what's in front of you. 

Ignoring that we don't have the players to run this scheme, what have we truly seen from Caponi that shows he can get it done as a DC?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Let us be reasonable here, we have no business trying to buy out Caponi for $400k.  We have much better uses for that including NIL and facilities.

That, I understand. If the money isn't there, we really don't have a choice but to see what he can do next year.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1