FAU

emmitt01

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes.  They were not dominant over us last season.  If they were Final-Four pedigree, then so were we!   Bringing everyone back does not guarantee anything.  The Bryant loss (at home by 9) is flat embarrassing.

The way we beat teams last year was we were more mentally tough than just about everyone.  FAU showed that was one team we couldn't get in their heads...if anything it was the reverse.

That's why FAU had the run they did last year.  The Owls could focus down the stretch unlike just about anyone the last ten years or so.  They arguably should have lost at least ten games last season that they won.  To me that was a testament to their greatness.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Th way we beat teams last year was we were more mentally tough than just about everyone.  FAU showed that was one team we couldn't get in their heads...if anything it was the reverse.

That's why FAU had the run they did last year.  The Owls could focus down the stretch unlike just about anyone the last ten years or so.  They arguably should have lost at least ten games last season that they won.  To me that was a testament to their greatness.

It's an incredible trait, and what a run! but the point still stands, right? That they are still beatable.

Of course, you could have said the same thing halfway through our Sun Belt run!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, I was at our game against FAU in Denton last year.  We lost Tylor late to a calf injury and also Abou to fouls.  Without them for the last five minutes, we didn't have a chance and still only lost by about 5.

We were held scoreless the final 5+ minutes including Rubin missing the first of a 1 and 1 with 10 or so seconds left. No excuses should be made for losing that game. We lost due to shooting too many bad 3s with the lead. You have the lead, get to the basket and get high percentage shots/FTs. Repeatedly taking low percentage shots is a great way to let an opponent back in the game. It would be the same as throwing deep balls with the lead late in a football game when you're supposed to be running the clock out. Bad late game management is why we lost.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, I was at our game against FAU in Denton last year.  We lost Tylor late to a calf injury and also Abou to fouls.  Without them for the last five minutes, we didn't have a chance and still only lost by about 5.

I remember Abou fouling out and it was all downhill from there.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Yes.  The point again being FAU was good, but not That good where they were another level above us.  They were not and are not!

The difference between top tier teams is usually pretty small.  It's rare that someone is leaps and bounds better than everyone else.  It's why the NCAA tournament is often a crap shoot.

That doesn't mean FAU is overrated.  If we fall into the trap of saying they're overrated, than we are basically arguing their run last season was a fluke - which gives everyone license to say any run we ever make is too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, CMJ said:

The difference between top tier teams is usually pretty small.  It's rare that someone is leaps and bounds better than everyone else.  It's why the NCAA tournament is often a crap shoot.

That doesn't mean FAU is overrated.  If we fall into the trap of saying they're overrated, than we are basically arguing their run last season was a fluke - which gives everyone license to say any run we ever make is too.

I agree. I didn’t post that to downplay what FAU accomplished but to highlight that we weren’t separated by much. 

15 hours ago, CMJ said:

Sure, but in basketball sometimes giants just fall.  Top ranked Virginia famously lost to Chamiade 40 something years ago when they were an NAIA school.

Really - Hoo needs reminding? We lost to Wisconsin on Monday as well. And don't forget to toss in them fact that we were the first ever Overall #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. #StillWonItAllLater