The Defense

NorthTexasWeLove

AND the offense is setting us up for failure in first half of games. 

When the D is soooo bad the offense can't continue being 1st half no shows. 10 points scored in the the 1st half of last 2 games. That's going to extend an already really bad defense and make them work more than anyone wants to see. 

Yes, the defense can't spot the opposition 31 first half points. But the offense has to carry their weight and keep the D off the field. 

Also, Caponi gotta go. I wasn't here during the Dodge years. I got on board right after. But this is the worst defense I have personally seen UNT ever field. That dead weight has to be let go. To add, 475k is grotesque misuse of funds. I'm not sure how it's allowed to continue even at this point, nevertheless giving him a second year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

When the D is soooo bad the offense can't continue being 1st half no shows. 10 points scored in the the 1st half of last 2 games. That's going to extend an already really bad defense and make them work more than anyone wants to see. 

Yes, the defense can't spot the opposition 31 first half points. But the offense has to carry their weight and keep the D off the field. 

Also, Caponi gotta go. I wasn't here during the Dodge years. I got on board right after. But this is the worst defense I have personally seen UNT ever field. That dead weight has to be let go. To add, 475k is grotesque misuse of funds. I'm not sure how it's allowed to continue even at this point, nevertheless giving him a second year. 

I agree a change needs to be made but I don't see what a mid season termination does for us. I would just play the hand dealt us this season and begin an exhaustive search for a 2024 replacement.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

I agree a change needs to be made but I don't see what a mid season termination does for us. I would just play the hand dealt us this season and begin an exhaustive search for a 2024 replacement.

To do it now helps tremendously. We have a 1st time FBS coach because we hesitated on the firing of our previous HC. The window shrank and we settled. 

Coordinators get fired mid-season all the time and every year. It's clear communication to the fanbase. It also gives the HC a lot of time to find a very good replacement. Then it gives the new DC time to find good assistants that actually have on the field coaching experience. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It feels exactly like the Dodge years.  Score a ton of points, give up a ton, and barely lose them all.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, wardly said:

I think doing it mid season shows the head coach isn’t F’ing around and it shows he says “hey I made a mistake and I’m the boss and here’s what I’m going to do to fix it” It shows he has a sense of urgency and shows the team everyone will be held accountable.  It also gives us a head start on looking for a replacement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think doing it mid season shows the head coach isn’t F’ing around and it shows he says “hey I made a mistake and I’m the boss and here’s what I’m going to do to fix it” It shows he has a sense of urgency and shows the team everyone will be held accountable.  It also gives us a head start on looking for a replacement. 

Yes, it makes a statement to the fans. Does it increase the chances of winning this year? No, no one can successfully install a totally new scheme during the season. There are a lot of experienced DCs out there and the good ones are committed through the end of the season. It’s painful, but firing him now only makes fans happier for one week. When the new guy has a defense that’s just as bad or worse the next week, those same fans will be claiming Morris can’t hire anyone and will be even madder. The better choice is to stick it out this year.

• Upvote 2

If our dc finishes the bottom 25% in defense in the country he needs to be fired.  If he finishes last in the AAC he needs to fired.   I hope at least put the DC on a PIP (performance improvement plan).  You could not asked more of the offense this week.   The defense has cost us at least two games I two weeks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The tackling is horrible, its a basic fundamental of the game.  I see too many players trying to make tackles by grabbing at their opponents shoulder pads, instead of wrapping an opponent up and bringing them down.

If they are going to fire the DC, then the time to do it is now!  That way they can have next season's DC in place before the transfer window opens. 

• Upvote 1

The last three losses we have given up 14 points in each of the second half the problem with that is we have given up a ton of points in the first half so we can make half adjustments but not in game adjustments. If certain calls are not working change on the fly don't be scared to make in game changes. I am also hearing that not everyone is bought in and wants to do their own things at times. If you watch some of the long runs we gave up run fits were not good.  

15 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think it makes a statement to the fans that the fans will appreciate. but it also makes a statement to any DC you want to woo to come in. That statement is: You don't have time. if it doesn't work within 8-10 games you will be gone. Its a not gonna help getting the right guy.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

It feels exactly like the Dodge years.  Score a ton of points, give up a ton, and barely lose them all.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/2007-schedule.html

We were competitive in 4 games in dodge's first season and blown out in most of them...  In the subsequent seasons it was no better.  In case we all need a reminder

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, aprice said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/2007-schedule.html

We were competitive in 4 games in dodge's first season and blown out in most of them...  In the subsequent seasons it was no better.  In case we all need a reminder

I was thinking of 2009 where I think we lost 6 games by a score or less.  I believe that was the argument for keeping him on another year at the time.

This team is so strange.  Has such a hard time playing complimentary football.  Hugh improvements are happening but giving up big plays late has been death.  I hate it cause I know these kids are working hard to get better.  I agree Caponi has to go.  The World Series and NFL Sunday was a convenient distraction this weekend but I'm reliving the end of that game today and it is such a kick to the nuts.  We are seeing positive strides but Ls are Ls and Ws are Ws.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coach_1976 said:

The last three losses we have given up 14 points in each of the second half the problem with that is we have given up a ton of points in the first half so we can make half adjustments but not in game adjustments. If certain calls are not working change on the fly don't be scared to make in game changes. I am also hearing that not everyone is bought in and wants to do their own things at times. If you watch some of the long runs we gave up run fits were not good.  

The argument could easily be made that the opposing offense hits cruise control when up 3 or 4 touchdowns in the second half. Then when they realize that it's time to go they...

Cheese Milk GIF by Kerrygold USA

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Ls are Ls and Ws are Ws.

Of course this is true, but I got so tired of getting taken to the woodshed in the past couple of seasons.  5 losses in each of the past two seasons by 10 points or more, with 7 of those by 20+ points.  We've only had our ass handed to us once this year and for that I'm happy.   Now that doesn't mean I'm into moral victories, but I'd rather lose close, competitive games like we have in 3 of the past 4 games than to get wiped out.  Plus, Navy isn't so good, but Tulane and Memphis are seemingly two of the top teams in what is clearly a better conference.   I want to win as much as anyone, but if we're going to lose, I'd rather not get embarrassed.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1