Student Attendance

GMG_Dallas

We've seen other schools such as UAB and SMU sell tickets at Costco. I believe Memphis had a ticket plan similar to what Boise State used to do where if the team wins, you get tickets to the next game and it goes on until they lose at home.

Now Memphis is, get this, advertising their student giveaways on Twitter. Do we do this and I'm just not seeing it? We talk about being behind on various fronts such as NIL, coach salaries, and more but is the school doing smaller things to at least get fan/student engagement? I'm guessing not.

Here's the current Memphis promo for Friday's game against Tulane.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

If they were wise they would figure out an entry mechanism that requires the student to be present at the beginning of the 4th quarter to qualify for winning the prize.

Figure out... the student tickets are electronic now, right? Scan in before the end of the first quarter to enter the contest, announce the prize winners at the start of the 4th and make it to where they have to physically pickup a certificate before the end of the game to be redeemed for the prize at the athletic center during the work week. Or they have to go to an AD employee during the 4th quarter to have a certificate loaded onto their student ID profile by scanning their electronic ticket. I'm not very familiar with the current ways student tickets are done but if it's electronic, this is easy to do.

We play our first ever AAC home conference game and the only promo is Oktoberfest where 3 of the event bullet points mention beer and 3 mention Mean Green Live. Would be the perfect game to have student prizes for attendees...

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Figure out... the student tickets are electronic now, right? Scan in before the end of the first quarter to enter the contest, announce the prize winners at the start of the 4th and make it to where they have to physically pickup a certificate before the end of the game to be redeemed for the prize at the athletic center during the work week. Or they have to go to an AD employee during the 4th quarter to have a certificate loaded onto their student ID profile by scanning their electronic ticket. I'm not very familiar with the current ways student tickets are done but if it's electronic, this is easy to do.

We play our first ever AAC home conference game and the only promo is Oktoberfest where 3 of the event bullet points mention beer and 3 mention Mean Green Live. Would be the perfect game to have student prizes for attendees...

I haven’t seen anything from Athletic Department to get students to the games….weak as always. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

They have done gimmicks like this over the years. They don’t work in the long run. I like the concerts and Oktoberfest stuff. We have to find ways to make games more of an event that draws in student groups. I wish I knew the secret to getting to the place where students views DATCU as a “can’t miss event.” Outside of consistently adding entertainment around the games, the only other thing that will get students to and keep them coming is winning entertaining games.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I thought the ACU game was a great event! Tailgate, timeout entertainment, post game festivities, etc. The winning was the cherry on top.  I think that’s the way to go for now. 

But for our first home AAC conference game, wouldn't you want to pull out all the tricks?

• Upvote 4
  • RV 2
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

They also do the 45 yard FG for 20K, or something like that. Have you tried to kick a field goal?  It’s freaking impossible!  It does give us a few laughs, though. 😂🤣😂

I think I recall this during the Cal game which is hilarious and fun but kind of silly. There's college kickers who struggle with a 45 yard field goal.

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Didn't we literally do a free tuition raffle for the last home game?

Obviously free tuition is awesome when they do those raffles. Kids want something tangible. Most probably don't truly grasp the value of free tuition since they're already receiving assistance, taking out loans they'll never pay, or their parents are paying for their tuition.