Diving Eagle Logo

BFraz

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2023 at 9:33 PM, NT80 said:

Our only original logo ...

image.png.0bd502a46a5a3ba1c203937c56822900.png

Why do you think the Australian logo was before NT? 

Also the eagle has to be the most used animal logo in the world, it is going to be very hard to find anything really that different. 

I would guess there are others as close to the "Flying Worm" as the Australian Air Force mark is to the NT Diving Eagle.

On 11/5/2023 at 3:44 AM, GrandGreen said:

Why do you think the Australian logo was before NT? 

Also the eagle has to be the most used animal logo in the world, it is going to be very hard to find anything really that different. 

I would guess there are others as close to the "Flying Worm" as the Australian Air Force mark is to the NT Diving Eagle.

The UNT Diving Eagle and Aussie Eagle are similar enough that one copied the other and one was tweaked a little.  It's not just by random coincidence they look so similar.   

UNT started using the logo at the end of the 2013 season.   Athletic departments use marketing firms or Nerds good with clipart and photoshop for their logos. 

Multi-million dollar military jets on Government contracts take years to contract and finalize painting schemes and get authorizations.  It's not just on a whim overnight from clipart. This Aussie F-18 photo is from March 2011...

image.png.dd8d0af7767d40c91af72f016bfa028d.png

Edited by NT80
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

And did you know the City of Fort Worth uses the “Longhorn” for their city logo?  Not sure if TU has ever challenged them for that.

Since you asked...

untitled-970-545-px-20.png

You may recognize the logo [on the left] as Bevo. Sorry UT fans — there’s no correlation between the two. However, in 2002, the city + the UT System entered into an agreement about the use and appearance of Molly. To prove the logos aren’t the same, take a closer look at the color — UT’s logo is Pantone 159 (burnt orange) and Molly’s is Pantone 725 (copper).

https://ftwtoday.6amcity.com/the-city-of-fort-worth-official-mascot

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

UNT started using the logo at the end of the 2013 season.   

NO!  While the SOW (diving eagle) was not used on helmets until the Jan 1st 2014 HOD bowl (because of RV), it was introduced in 2005 with the university branding initiative.

I tried to use the Wayback Machine to find a UNT branding page from 2005, but apparently none were captured until 2012. 

But I found a reference to the branding initiative in the Summer 2005 issue of the North Texan (https://northtexan.unt.edu/archives/s05/branding.htm) and two photos with the SOW in the Winter 2006 issue (https://northtexan.unt.edu/archives/w06/index.htm) - one of a student wearing a "I Bleed Green" T-shirt at homecoming 2005, and one of Todd Dodge at his hiring press conference in front of a background with the SOW.  So the SOW was introduced in 2005, as I thought.

Now, can anyone find a photo of the Australian Air Force using their logo that far back?

Edit:  If I could figure out how to search for them, I'm sure there are some threads here on GMG from 2005 about the logo, and I bet it started to be referred to as the "SOW" almost right away.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1