Coach O is Keeping Receipts...

NorthTexasWeLove

29 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I can't fall in line with lifting someone up that will probably be tweeting out a new school logo in 6 months.

That's the nature of the beast these days in college sports. Nobody is guaranteed to stick around for long.

We don't know that he'd leave. The situation at UNT might be a really good fit for him, personally and professionally. This is his first big opportunity on a college football staff and it's right in the DFW area where he's got the strongest background.

The only place we have to fear snapping him up is SMU, but does he really want to move to the Atlantic coast when DFW has always been his home?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rcade said:

That's the nature of the beast these days in college sports. Nobody is guaranteed to stick around for long.

We don't know that he'd leave. The situation at UNT might be a really good fit for him, personally and professionally. This is his first big opportunity on a college football staff and it's right in the DFW area where he's got the strongest background.

The only place we have to fear snapping him up is SMU, but does he really want to move to the Atlantic coast when DFW has always been his home?

If he is applying to places then, then he'll be applying to places now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have avoided jumping in on this conversation because most think I am already paid by the staff.. But Coach O has been a huge asset to North Texas in the recruiting game. He is well respected all over the state of Texas and beyond and has an incredible eye for talent. Yelling in his mention on twitter for a defense or a team struggling when the guy has literally been on UNT campus for one semester is a little over the top. North Texas is really going to have to up his pay this offseason because I can guarantee he will be highly sought after. I hope North Texas will be able to hang on to him for atleast a couple recruiting cycles. He has been a huge part we have had such success in DFW and South Dallas. 

Don't you understand???!   It should take no more than one (partial) offseason to change the caliber of recruits we are landing (ignoring NIL and portal changes to the landscape) given the rich history we have around here of championships and bowl wins (though not those Dickey ones, those don't count....the other ones).  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If he is applying to places then, then he'll be applying to places now. 

I can tell from your comment that you've been burned. Don't close your heart to the opportunity of loving another UNT athletic department staff member when they prove themselves worthy with their performance. When the right one comes along, just keep telling yourself "he is not Grant."

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Don't you understand???!   It should take no more than one (partial) offseason to change the caliber of recruits we are landing (ignoring NIL and portal changes to the landscape) given the rich history we have around here of championships and bowl wins (though not those Dickey ones, those don't count....the other ones).  

If he was locked in for 3 or 4 years, I'd root for the guy. His own actions and his calloused demeanor towards UNT people suggest that this is nothing more than a gap stop for him. Don't you understand? 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 4

Just now, rcade said:

I can tell from your comment that you've been burned. Don't close your heart to the opportunity of loving another UNT athletic department staff member when they prove themselves worthy with their performance. When the right one comes along, just keep telling yourself "he is not Grant."

I don't tweet or talk to UNT athletic department people or coaches. So, no. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, Cooley said:

Coach O was Deion's right hand man while on his staff at Prime Prep Academy. Love seeing folks enjoy what they are doing and enjoying life.

Oh so he was part of all the scandals at Prime Prep? That’s always what you want on your staff

Edited by MeanGreen4Life1998
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Yeah, I would hate having Deion and all of his exciting winning football here. Blech.

Lol you want the clown show too? And you’re of the nutty opinion that Deion would’ve considered UNT? He’d have laughed and hung up. Too small time for his giant ego

Also why did Coach O not go with Deion? Not good enough?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lol you want the clown show too? And you’re of the nutty opinion that Deion would’ve considered UNT? He’d have laughed and hung up. Too small time for his giant ego

Also why did Coach O not go with Deion? Not good enough?

A clown show? They’ve sold out every game, brought a ton of national (and positive) exposure to CU, etc. CU is better off for having hired Deion. I tend to agree that he would not have come here, but to act like we are above what he’s done with that program is pretty ridiculous. What he’s done there is set that program up for success.

As far as your cheap shot on Coach O… I think that’s a garbage comment.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

A clown show? They’ve sold out every game, brought a ton of national (and positive) exposure to CU, etc. CU is better off for having hired Deion. I tend to agree that he would not have come here, but to act like we are above what he’s done with that program is pretty ridiculous. What he’s done there is set that program up for success.

As far as your cheap shot on Coach O… I think that’s a garbage comment.

Lmao “cheap shot” is now asking why he’s not currently with Deion. I legitimately asked if hes not good enough for Deion now. Are yall related or something? Taking it personally for absolutely no reason

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lmao “cheap shot” is now asking why he’s not currently with Deion. I legitimately asked if hes not good enough for Deion now. Are yall related or something? Taking it personally for absolutely no reason

Yes, it’s a cheap shot. You’ve thrown out several things about him on this thread that you’re trying to play off as you just being curious or asking questions.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:54 PM, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lol you want the clown show too?=

If that's a clown show then send in the clowns. The atmosphere at those games in Boulder is incredible. Deion took a program that was a doormat for most of the last 20 years and put it on the map again. College GameDay has already been there.

In hindsight it looks like there was no chance Deion would come here. He got a P5 school.

But sometimes a coach would have come here who was about to become a big deal elsewhere. Jim Harbaugh interviewed at UNT in 2006 to succeed Dickey.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, rcade said:

If that's a clown show then send in the clowns. The atmosphere at those games in Boulder is incredible. Deion took a program that was a doormat for most of the last 20 years and put it on the map again. College GameDay has already been there.

In hindsight it looks like there was no chance Deion would come here. He got a P5 school.

But sometimes a coach would have come here who was about to become a big deal elsewhere. Jim Harbaugh interviewed at UNT in 2006 to succeed Dickey.

i remember everyone talking about this but i always wonder if these interviews are just practice for a guy like him

19 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

i remember everyone talking about this but i always wonder if these interviews are just practice for a guy like him

He might have done the interview with us just to get word out he was sought after, but in 2006 he only had a few seasons coaching an FCS school (University of San Diego) and was a year past a DUI arrest that got national media coverage.

The same month he interviewed at UNT he took the Stanford job. Five years later he was hired to coach the 49ers.

On 9/4/2023 at 12:30 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

I've never understood fans who say because 1 guy with a similar path didn't work out you should never take a chance on another guy with a similar path. Every player is different and do or do not work out for different reasons. If we went by that logic for every player, we'd stop recruiting and close up shop.

I'd love to have Seals, especially coming from Vandy. It would be even more special for him to come in and light it up in front of family.

@greenminer @Mike Jackson @GMG_Dallas

Guess who got the start yesterday vs undefeated #23 Mizzou?
20/31 for 259yds, 2 TDs through the air and 1 TD rushing vs a very stout SEC defense.

IMG_1843.jpeg.9f5ba0325902bc163a9b6955cd4f8e15.jpeg

• Upvote 1