Oregon State, Washington State not expected to decide conference fate until post Labor Day -

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Good article.   AAC to pitch plan next week by Zoom and then in person...

American commissioner Mike Aresco is expected to engage with both schools by Zoom next week. An in-person meeting to both campuses is expected soon after, sources said. Mountain West commissioner Gloria Nevarez has already pitched both schools.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wardly said:

So even if OSU and WSU move to AAC, we still need a program to replace SMU. My vote is for Georgia State, which gets us in the Atlanta market. Think of them as a much larger Charlotte in a much larger city and state.

Don't they have facilities issues?  I think they play football in the old Turner Field.  No idea what the deal with their basketball is.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wardly said:

So even if OSU and WSU move to AAC, we still need a program to replace SMU. My vote is for Georgia State, which gets us in the Atlanta market. Think of them as a much larger Charlotte in a much larger city and state.

No.

The spots need to be saved for abandoned "power conference" schools when the ACC collapses. I'll accept Boise State and 2 or 3 other MWC schools if you want to go west but that's it.

• Upvote 4

Are we the Rodney Dangerfield of FBS?

AAC rumors: Washington State, Oregon State drawing interest (clutchpoints.com)

From a football standpoint, Washington State and Oregon State would increase the competitiveness of the conference. In the long run, that's for the best. Oregon State and Washington State are also relatively larger brands than some of the smaller schools in the AAC like North Texas or Charlotte.

• Pissed 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

From a football standpoint, Washington State and Oregon State would increase the competitiveness of the conference. In the long run, that's for the best. Oregon State and Washington State are also relatively larger brands than some of the smaller schools in the AAC like North Texas or Charlotte.

Clutch Points?  I just doubled their “readership” by clicking on the link. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

So North Texas is one of the smaller schools in the conference?

• Oh Boy! 1

The members of the ACC are  locked in for another decade and can't buy their way out. The only schools I have heard that might garner interest from the BIG 10 and SEC are North Carolina and NC State. Naturally this could change if the ACC implodes . While I doubt they will, and also doubt whether the ACC would be a preferred landing spot for those left behind, but that discussion is down the road.

However the AAC is in serious discussions with OSU and WSU so I certainly could be wrong.  Regardless of whether we gain the PAC TWO or not with SMU apparently leaving it looks like the need to add another program in the near future. The MWC schools have buyout problems of their own for the next two years. Aresco's recent addition of 6 programs were geared towards large markets where schools have committed to invest in their athletic programs, although I don't see much out of Rice. The only reason I suggested Georgia State from Atlanta is the size of the university, the apparent financial commitment to athletics, and the huge market which is sandwiched between Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, and Birmingham .

• Downvote 2

On 8/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, wardly said:

If we're looking at Sun Belt/CUSA schools as replacements then my #1 choice would be James Madison...They were a great FCS program and had a very impressive first year in the Sun Belt. They've also shown a commitment to facilities with their new basketball arena. I hope we can build something similar one day.

Bridgeforth Stadium/Zane Showker Field - Facilities - James Madison  University Athletics

A look inside the Atlantic Union Bank Center

12 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Look, until we win big and consistently in football and figure out how to fill our venues consistently we WILL always be considered a small school regardless of our 40,000+ enrollment. That’s just the way it is. 

6 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

NO to Georgia State and James Madison.  And that Georgia State stadium is butt ungly!

James Madison is tied to ODU and not going anywhere. Fouts Field was butt ugly and the Georgia Dome was for football and baseball. Scroll thru pictures of all AAC stadiums for comparison.

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

NO to Georgia State and James Madison.  And that Georgia State stadium is butt ungly!

I'm not supporting them for inclusion in the AAC, but If you want to see their stadium/crowd.....Georgia State is at Home tonight at 6pm on ESPN+...hosting Rhode Island.