PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

If you’re an athlete from the west coast, why sign to play for Stanford or Cal?  I imagine there will be outliers, but by and large you want to play closer to family.  I would think these schools better start shelling out huge sums to recruits or they won’t be able to compete with ACC schools once their current rosters graduate.

They still have the great academic reputations to help with that, and they can sell that they are playing the likes of Clemson/Florida St./UNC, but yeah could definitely have an impact on their recruiting. 

Just now, NT80 said:

I think it could help the ACC's recruiting and profile having Stanford as a member.  Players would probably like a trip to Cali.

That's just it. It would indeed help the recruiting of the east coast ACC powers. But it would definitely hamper the recruiting for Stanford and Cal. I see this as a lose-lose for them. Giving money up and recruiting will take a hit. Makes 0 sense. 

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's just it. It would indeed help the recruiting of the east coast ACC powers. But it would definitely hamper the recruiting for Stanford and Cal. I see this as a lose-lose for them. Giving money up and recruiting will take a hit. Makes 0 sense. 

I don't think you know how these private schools work. My wife works for a university, she had a coworker get a job offer from a private school here in California. They doubled her salary, she worked remote but had to come in more often so they gave her a 400k housing stipend to help getting a house, and she gets a 50k a year guaranteed bonus which is basically a retention bonus. That's for a staff position. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

If you’re an athlete from the west coast, why sign to play for Stanford or Cal?  I imagine there will be outliers, but by and large you want to play closer to family.  I would think these schools better start shelling out huge sums to recruits or they won’t be able to compete with ACC schools once their current rosters graduate.

Stanford recruits nationally (and internationally) for some of the best athletes available.  It's not like us where we recruit Texas and the DFW area.  The athletes are already from everywhere, so they aren't close to family now.  

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't think you know how these private schools work. My wife works for a university, she had a coworker get a job offer from a private school here in California. They doubled her salary, she worked remote but had to come in more often so they gave her a 400k housing stipend to help getting a house, and she gets a 50k a year guaranteed bonus which is basically a retention bonus. That's for a staff position. 

How does one land a job at that school, asking for a friend?

image.gif.22b3e61a9d63e1e7b18ac1a61fbe93ef.gif

Edited by SigmaGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, keith said:

Stanford recruits nationally (and internationally) for some of the best athletes available.  It's not like us where we recruit Texas and the DFW area.  The athletes are already from everywhere, so they aren't close to family now.  

Well, their recent football and men's basketball results would say that is money wasted.

11 hours ago, keith said:

Few years ago someone did a poll of NFL players and asked them what college they would want their kids to attend. Stanford was the runaway winner. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This needs to happen.  Eliminate the Pac rebuilding, squish Smu's dreams, and get OSU and WSU into the AAC....then start the football season! 

If only the two are left it's going to come down to who can offer the most $$$. Fox vs Apple Vs ESPN. ESPN offers $7m in the AAC, will they be willing to bump that up with those 2 as the only additions? Fox offers $4m in the MWC, if they can match what they AAC gives what's the motivation to move further east and add to travel expenses? If Apple is really wanting to get into the cfb market would they still offer a deal of a rebuilt PAC and how much? I don't think Fox or ESPN would cannibalize their assets by offering a deal to rebuild the PAC. 

6 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

If only the two are left it's going to come down to who can offer the most $$$. Fox vs Apple Vs ESPN. ESPN offers $7m in the AAC, will they be willing to bump that up with those 2 as the only additions? Fox offers $4m in the MWC, if they can match what they AAC gives what's the motivation to move further east and add to travel expenses? If Apple is really wanting to get into the cfb market would they still offer a deal of a rebuilt PAC and how much? I don't think Fox or ESPN would cannibalize their assets by offering a deal to rebuild the PAC. 

image.gif.93e26d3478627df29cd14f27d0414fae.gif

The worst part of all of this is this: while fans of the Big12 and B1G teams and of those 8 PAC teams that found a spot may have had a miserable summer, they can now happily focus on actual football. Meanwhile fans of the forgotten four, ACC AAC and MWC are all gonna have a hard time tuning this out completely during what ought to be the happiest time of the year.

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Looks like the final presentation from the Mountain West and American are happening officially:

Good info in the article, it notes where everything stands to date. 

Hopefully some resolution to all this by next week.   

Yes, I would certainly trade Smut for OSU and WSU.  Adding them brings more credibility (and ethics!) to the AAC as the top G5 conference, plus being able to lure MWC teams later would be a benefit having them too.  Divide and conquer!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Really it's in the hands of ESPN. What can Aresco do if they aren't willing to pay for the additions or bump up the payouts so the move is attractive to the two? 

I believe AAC has the leverage here with money, AND we have Aresco.

I don't claim to know all the stuff going on, but it seems like the MWC is facing an uphill battle here.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I believe AAC has the leverage here with money, AND we have Aresco.

I don't claim to know all the stuff going on, but it seems like the MWC is facing an uphill battle here.

The MWC has geography on their side. Less money spent on travel, and easier integration. If they can get an offer from Fox to match the $7m the two would get from the AAC what is their incentive to move east? If you read the article it mentions the Navarez is meeting in person, while Aresco is meeting virtually. I don't think there is a more perfect way to illustrate the geography aspect. The AAC has to offer enough money for it to make sense for the PAC2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

The MWC has geography on their side. Less money spent on travel, and easier integration. If they can get an offer from Fox to match the $7m the two would get from the AAC what is their incentive to move east? If you read the article it mentions the Navarez is meeting in person, while Aresco is meeting virtually. I don't think there is a more perfect way to illustrate the geography aspect. The AAC has to offer enough money for it to make sense for the PAC2. 

We could see a situation where whichever conference gets OSU and WSU goes after 2-4 teams from the conference that didn't get them.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Their incentive is exposure. Don't believe that's a big deal ask the pac12. 

• Upvote 1