no plans, but potential interest

ADLER

42 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

This is like the hot chick you have been trying to get with for years, who kept denying you, finally wants you once you have a bit of $$$. I am staying away from this idea. Denton has never supported NT. 

I definitely don't think we should outright spurn Denton if they want to try and partner up on something like this.  That's a quick way to keep them on the outside, which we don't really want to do.
I just don't think they wield the kind of power they once did anymore.    Back in the RV days, if the city came to us with this type of proposal, we'd be dumb not to move on it.    But now, things are a little different and Smatresk has NT moving in our own direction with purpose.   So if Denton wants to join in, I'm sure we can make something work, but NT really has the power play here.

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

• ADLER changed the title to no plans, but potential interest
On 4/6/2023 at 2:37 PM, meangreenbob said:

I heard someone mention that we should raze the PEB and the Men’s Gym and build a new basketball arena right there between the Pohl Rec Center and the Super Pit. Right on campus and next to parking at old Fouts. Makes sense to me. 

I think the "Master Plan" has a 6,000+ seat arena across highway 35E where the rest of our sports facilities are.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I thought with the NIT win we be attracting more players. I just like to see us win dome recruiting battles in basketball and football.

It seems like the time it took to win the NIT may have taken our eye off the ball of the recruiting season.  Just speculation on that from my part.  It did take awhile and then the hiring of Hodge.  Mac did us no favors by taking every single one of our assistants either.  It took a month to get Estelle's contrct finalized.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 5/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, NT80 said:

No, same cost as Apogee stadium....

Construction cost: $78 million

Actually the UTA coliseum cost $ 78 million and $1.00. Seriously, I thought Apogee cost $72 to $76 million but what the hey. I don't know where we get the money for a dedicated basketball arena until Apogee is paid off.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Actually the UTA coliseum cost $ 78 million and $1.00. Seriously, I thought Apogee cost $72 to $76 million but what the hey. I don't know where we get the money for a dedicated basketball arena until Apogee is paid off.

UNT got a fantastic deal on it's stadium!  $78M for 31K seats, multi-level pressbox with a suite level, club level seats and banquet area.  I believe the Athletic Center was included in the cost too since it contained the locker rooms on it's lower level.  

By comparison, Allen high school built their large stadium at the same time.  $60M but only 18K seats and generic pressbox.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Not that it really matters, but I don’t think that’s true.

You are correct.  The Athletic Center (AC) was built in 2005, before the stadium in 2011.  I had slept since then and forgot that...

The NT golf course closed in 2003.   Dr. Pohl and RV were considering expanding Fouts and turning a warehouse near Fouts into the new, needed AC.  But UNT decided instead to change course.  It would build a complete new Mean Green Village on the other side of I-35, where the golf course was...

https://meangreensports.com/facilities/athletic-center/9

• Upvote 1