Breaking: North Texas Hires Gary as DL Coach

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am trying to stay positive on the Defensive side, but it seems the HC will continue the theme of If my Defense can be "good" I can have an offense that will score more.  Not going to lie, I was hoping for a more attacking Defense, but I'll wait until the Spring to see how they look.

I can respect that. We are both going to hope for this best.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I'm all for hiring youth that has proven they can recruit with being mentored by experience staff. My concern is how much will NIL money play into commitments. I'm still a big proponent of the TP. GMG

Trying to figure out how someone who has never held a position eligible to recruit is considered a strong recruiter. Anyone care to enlighten me? 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Trying to figure out how someone who has never held a position eligible to recruit is considered a strong recruiter. Anyone care to enlighten me? 

How many HS coaches that have been hired never recruited? How many coaches have we had that refused to recruit? Recruiting is a young man’s game. Hope this enlightens.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

SMU fan chiming in. I cant say enough good things about Dem as a person and a leader. Just a outstanding individual. Give him a chance and don't hold it against him that he went to SMU. He will be great for you. 

Dpony14:

Appreciate the feedback and info, BUT...it just wouldn’t be right not to hold it against him having gone to SMU !  Just sayin.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Morris was extremely upfront with his philosophy. He is brains of offense. Caponi is brains of defense. Svobado is brains on special teams. Fill out rest of staff with hungry, moldable RECRUITERS. 

I assume these are guys that Caponi is picking to be on the staff, and it’s not Morris going out bringing in guys and saying Caponi make it work without any say?

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I will put money there is a  better chance Coach Gary gets picked up by a bigger program rather than fired within the next 36 months. 

I figure I know the answer to this, but I haven’t seen it… if Gray were to be hired away by a P5, would UNT get any type of buy out? I figure it’s unlikely but I’m hoping with a young staff, these guys move on quickly because that means we are having success

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I figure I know the answer to this, but I haven’t seen it… if Gray were to be hired away by a P5, would UNT get any type of buy out? I figure it’s unlikely but I’m hoping with a young staff, these guys move on quickly because that means we are having success

Assistants typically only have one-year contracts; so no, there would be no buyout.

• 10 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 2:06 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT was blessed with a ton of DL talent while he was here.   A TON.  We’re going to see more out of the ones who are still here.  I promise.  Watch what happens with Jackson, Brown, Vailea, & Richards next season.  Passwaters was awful.  If you’re looking for some kind of statistical analysis to prove this, I don’t have it.  Prod & ask all you’d like.  Passwaters was awful.

As for the twins, I repeatedly watched those two flat-out ignore him/walk past him as he tried to talk to them on the sidelines during games.  Bennett could chew them out & theyd ‘yessir’ him.  I know it’s a lot of people’s favorite pass-time to knock the twins on here, and I definitely don’t want to rehash that, but we suffered drastically when they left.

So, where do we stand on this now?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

I thought Passwaters was actually pretty good. He was highly motivated and was being taught by one of the best in the business (Bennett). The ones that had/have a problem with Passwaters mostly had that problem because he was related to Bennett and it wasn’t “fair” he got that job but they rarely complain about the actual product on the field just dismissed it by saying it was all the players and he had zero to do with their development.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:36 PM, greenminer said:

Yikes.   I guess I need to own up on this.

So I don’t know how much is tied to Gary VS scheme (he lost a DL to scheme).  I know having Gary coaching a 3-down line VS still having Passwaters “coaching” this same unit in this same scheme is a massive upgrade.  
Jackson isn’t even on the team anymore since he was relegated to the bench in this dumb scheme.

• Downvote 1