Breaking news -- UNT finalizing five-year deal with Eric Morris starting at $1.2 million annually

Brett Vito

21 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Nothing is guaranteed in sports, why take less money if it was on the table?  I think this is UNT being cheap.  The idea that he would voluntarily take less money so that the school could pay assistant coaches more does not make much sense because most assistants only get 1 year contracts, and should any of them have success they will likely get poached by another school anyway.  

I’m confused. Are you saying that we could’ve had a different coach but we didn’t pay enough so we “settled” for Morris because he fit our budget? 

If Morris didn’t want to “take less money” he would’ve turned it down. I’m not following…..

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, UNTLifer said:

True, it’s a utsa grad so he will probably need some assistance. 
Just Kidding Jk GIF

On 12/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

We hired a UTSA grad?Shaking No Way GIF by Tokyo Cowboys

18 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

A nutsak grad will be working in our Athletic Dept.?  Seriously?  That's like storing US nuclear warhead info in a pack of Chinese tofu!

All right.  Who called this guy about the open position in the first place?  He certainly didn’t read about it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/24/2022 at 1:45 PM, MrAlien said:

Nothing is guaranteed in sports, why take less money if it was on the table?  I think this is UNT being cheap.  The idea that he would voluntarily take less money so that the school could pay assistant coaches more does not make much sense because most assistants only get 1 year contracts, and should any of them have success they will likely get poached by another school anyway.  

I would like to think Morris is confident in his abilities that he is 1-betting on himself, and has seen our schools willingness to give pay bumps to successful coaches

On 12/24/2022 at 7:34 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

I am hearing we will be near a P5 level on off the field support when staff is complete

God im so glad and happy to hear this… 

• Upvote 2

On 12/23/2022 at 12:14 PM, meanrob said:

Maybe he bet on himself by taking lower HC pay for higher assistant pay. 

Going to be an interesting offseason for the first time in a while. 

This exact same thing was said when Littrell was hired.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I realize we’re only seeing a bullet point recap of the contract details and not the actual contract, but I did notice there was no ‘buy-out escalator’ clause mentioned like what SL had.    

Believe the previous had a clause that if hit 7 wins, buyout went to 100%.   That’s part of what put us in a pickle, IMHO.   

• Upvote 3