Jake Roberts to the Portal 😯

zenhuddy

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

With Andrew, I would expect nothing less. You football board people just don't get to see it as often as those of us who lurk on the dark side of the basketball board.

Look, I lurk on both. Some of his basketball points are valid, some aren't, and many are in between. This Roberts take was completely ridiculous. An honorable mention all conference players will get some looks.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:57 PM, jtm0097 said:

Our 3rd string TE already has offers from Cal, Miami (OH), and Troy. Three schools that we couldn't beat. 

A full ride to Cal can’t be beat academically coming from UNT.   But when "little brother" UCLA has to subdize the original flagship's athletic department when they leave for a better conference you can't take them seriously.  Imagine if UTSA and UNT we're leaving a conference we shared with UT Austin for big money and UTSA had to pay big brother off to protect UT .  😂. Troy and Miami Ohio are just mediocre G5 programs.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

A full ride to Cal can’t be beat academically coming from UNT.   But when "little brother" UCLA has to subdize the original flagship's athletic department when they leave for a better conference you can't take them seriously.  Imagine if UTSA and UNT we're leaving a conference we shared with UT Austin for big money and UTSA had to pay big brother off to protect UT .  😂. Troy and Miami Ohio are just mediocre G5 programs.

We would riot in the streets if that happened. Troy is pretty good, they just took down UTSA. Miami Ohio almost beat UAB in the Bahamas bowl. However, it would have been a different outcome if that stud RB played for UAB.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does this have 3 pages of content? Bottom line, he doesn't want to be a part of the Mean Green Family at UNT any longer and for that he can piss off. Quit letting teenage kids and 20 year olds normalize all of this. There is nothing normal about any of this. This shit doesn't even happen in the NFL or any professional sport for that matter. I mean, listen to that again, the NFL has more integrity driven policies than collegiate athletics. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

the NFL has more integrity driven policies than collegiate athletics. 

So sad that it's true. Hopefully at some point enough people will decide to try and make corrections.  This is another great example of what happens when you rush to do something for Fear of politicians and judges getting involved. Not saying something should not have been done but this has been a cluster F from the beginning. The University presidents are the ones in my opinion to blame for the screwed up state of college football. End of the day most are only worried about how much money they can bring into their school and have not tried to put a system in place Is the promote competition and set boundaries. And more amazing is people that say they didn't realize it would turn into this. Those have to be the most stupid people on Earth. But hey,as Deion said, "I'm gonna get mine" is all more and more people care about.  

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Why does this have 3 pages of content? Bottom line, he doesn't want to be a part of the Mean Green Family at UNT any longer and for that he can piss off. Quit letting teenage kids and 20 year olds normalize all of this. There is nothing normal about any of this. This shit doesn't even happen in the NFL or any professional sport for that matter. I mean, listen to that again, the NFL has more integrity driven policies than collegiate athletics. 

right? when you make a giant life decision at 17 you really should have no choice but to ride it out for the next 5 years, in spite of all circumstance around that one decision. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There is nothing normal about any of this. This shit doesn't even happen in the NFL or any professional sport for that matter. I mean, listen to that again, the NFL has more integrity driven policies than collegiate athletics. 

You’re right. Professional athletes never request trades or move on from their existing teams when they go through changes. /s

• Upvote 4

I don't think the comments are against the student per se, but the fact that the NCAA has no rules. You are letting schools determine how much money they spend and there is no control over alumni or boosters. Combine that with the growing attitude that everyone should get what they can, kids will do what the others are doing. Most coaches are "acting" like their not helping to coordinate pay-to-play (except Deion) but the entire system is being ran without enforceable controls. They have basically said that anything goes including the tampering.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

You’re right. Professional athletes never request trades or move on from their existing teams when they go through changes. /s

Don’t forget the ones that hold out and refuse to play under their current contract (that they agreed to) until they get a better contract. 

Reminds me of this scene from Mr Deeds.

• Upvote 1

I think I’ve come to believe that there should be a one time transfer with immediate eligibility at the new school.  I don’t like it, but it’s probably the right thing to do.  Any subsequent transfer should have some type of restriction and should be known as the JT Daniel’s rule.😂😉

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, NT93 said:

I think I’ve come to believe that there should be a one time transfer with immediate eligibility at the new school.  I don’t like it, but it’s probably the right thing to do.  Any subsequent transfer should have some type of restriction and should be known as the JT Daniel’s rule.😂😉

Have whatever rules you are going to have, but be consistent with the enforcement.You bring up a great example with Daniels (another shining example of the incompetence of the College Presidents). How any play that once to transfer and doesn't want to sit out, and his new school don't sue the NCAA if the waiver is not signed is beyond me. With the hundreds os exceptions that the NCAA has made, and the current judicial environment, they would likely win. I just wish the top 50-60 schools would go ahead and break away and then try and restore some common sense rules to College football.

• Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

right? when you make a giant life decision at 17 you really should have no choice but to ride it out for the next 5 years, in spite of all circumstance around that one decision. 

This has nothing really to do with that player. I mean, he can still piss off. This has to do with the systems in place. No logical person sees this as sustainable. None. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

The kid is possibly going from conference USA to the SEC and at HOME.  Great move kid.  We cannot expect people to stay in relationships that don't fit them.  It is a reason the coaching staff got FIRED and a lot of the people wanted them gone.  The same people who wanted the coaches gone, want the kids to stay. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Integrity and the NFL in the same sentence. This is just sour grapes from a fan of program that doesn’t have the money to make bad decisions and stay competitive on the field.  If you are a worker a new employer came offering better pay, better training, more comfortable environment and better chance of advance you are taking the job.  “NFL integrity” is tied to guaranteed money over multiple years.  Scholarships are yearly renewed.  

The fact at UNT we don’t have enough people to commit dollars towards NIL and the program in general.  And leadership managing of the limited funds has been piss poor.   If Seth finds a better QB wins more games this player among many others doesn’t leave.  And maybe if they had fired Seth mid season and hired Deion Sanders you wouldn’t care about Jake leaving because his replacement would better.  In light of recent reminder of what these players risk every time they go on the field, this whining about 20 year olds getting pennies on the dollar in college transferring irritates me.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

27 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Integrity and the NFL in the same sentence. This is just sour grapes from a fan of program that doesn’t have the money to make bad decisions and stay competitive on the field.  If you are a worker a new employer came offering better pay, better training, more comfortable environment and better chance of advance you are taking the job.  “NFL integrity” is tied to guaranteed money over multiple years.  Scholarships a yearly renewed.  

The fact at UNT we don’t have enough people to commit dollars towards winning.  And leadership managing of the limited funds has been piss poor.  If Seth finds a better QB wins more games this player among many others doesn’t leave.  And maybe if they had fired Seth mid season and hired Deion Sanders you wouldn’t care about Jake leaving because his replacement would better.  In light of recent reminder of what these players risk every time they go on the field this whining about 20 year olds getting pennies on the dollar in college transferring irritates me.

You are wrong on every single level in a multitude of layers. Dead ass wrong, truthfully. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I just wish the top 50-60 schools would go ahead and break away and then try and restore some common sense rules to College football.

I don't see how a break away changes anything for the better.  After this transfer portal with unlimited transfers mess opened, we now lose our best players to the P5s...and then we go grab guys from FCS and D2 to replace them.  In the break away scenario we are the new FCS/D2.  It won't stop the P5/break away schools from tampering/paying our best players to leave if THEY don't adopt rules to stop it at their new level.

It's going to take an act of congress to change this and that isn't happening.  So get used to it.

Edit: I will add that the one rules change that does make sense to adopt are transfer windows.  At least set some dates on the calendar when the free-for all whore fest is open for business.  After it closes teams can be fairly certain about their roster for the year.  We can't be worried about losing a KD Davis 2 weeks before Fall camp.  This should be adopted YESTERDAY, but still is not....smh

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't see how a break away changes anything for the better.  After this transfer portal with unlimited transfers mess opened, we now lose our best players to the P5s...and then we go grab guys from FCS and D2 to replace them.  In the break away scenario we are the new FCS/D2.  It won't stop the P5/break away schools from tampering/paying our best players to leave if THEY don't adopt rules to stop it at their new level.

My thought for them breaking away is right now they control the decisions for everyone in division one. G5s and FCS schools don't really have a say, were just left wo adjust to what they decide we can have. You even have a lot of P5 schools that are in severe financial trouble trying to keep up. People keep talking about the money football makes and players should get their share, but not that many programs make money, especially when you consider football helps pay the bills for so many non-revenue sports. For schools like UNT, if we didn't have the mandatory student fees and such a large student population we would be in trouble and probably still playing one or two money games a year. Perhaps if there was a split we could actually get some rules and limits put in place that allow teams to be competitive.