UNT hired Washington State offensive coordinator and former Incarnate Word head coach Eric Morris to take over its program on Tuesday

Brett Vito

Gotta get my opinion down so it goes on my permanent record at GoMeanGreen.

I was hoping for UNT to hire somebody with head coaching success in the FBS -- and preferably in the P5. Justin Fuente was at the top of my list.

Eric Morris isn't that guy. He's another 37-year-old looking to make his bones like Seth Littrell was in 2015. There are positives about Morris that make me cautiously optimistic, but in telling friends about the hire I keep leaning really hard on one fact like it was my Stuart Smalley daily affirmation: "He recruited Patrick Mahomes."

Please let Morris be so excited in front of the media that Jeff Traylor thinks he should dial it down a notch.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Initial thoughts are that this is potentially a great hire.

It's apples to oranges a bit, but Morris has more experience as a coach at the FBS level than McCasland had when he was hired, and more head coaching experience.

I think based on "who was out there", it's a solid hire.  Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, gordo nation said:

Is this really where we're at now? competing for FCS assistants against Texas State? 

You people were calling for Seth's head just for this 

Whoever knows about coaching hires?

For instance, in 1981 upon glowing letters of recommendations from Paul “Bear” Bryant & UT AD Darrell Royal, a UNT selection committee hired ex Mississippi St. head coach Bob Tyler.  That hire lasted one year. I try to block that year out of my mind. 

With Eric Morris I was first totally underwhelmed & after looking across the NCAA from coaches thoughts about the new UNT Coach I became overwhelmed. Seems others on GMG did that too.

One thing about it, Coach Morris will have much stiffer competition in the American to recruit at that level & then to win as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

For those in the ‘Why would we trade SL for this guy?’ camp, yes it’s a gamble, but that’s the only way you have a chance for upside. I expect a much higher positive energy level from the HC than we have had, and that’s really important. So is the successful college HC experience.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

For those in the ‘Why would we trade SL for this guy?’ camp, yes it’s a gamble, but that’s the only way you have a chance for upside.

To me, there was no scenario in which keeping Littrell made sense after the CUSA championship stomping.

So no matter who we hired, that was going to be a better move than keeping Littrell.

Head coaches are like Bathroom Monkeys. When one has no more cleaning power, drop it in the bin and order a new one.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not overly concerned about the offensive side of the ball with this hire. Now defensively. Need a strong hire for the D to be competitive in the AAC. With the limited number of scholarships we should be able to add depth in the portal from those who leave to enter the portal.

13 hours ago, rcade said:

Gotta get my opinion down so it goes on my permanent record at GoMeanGreen.

I was hoping for UNT to hire somebody with head coaching success in the FBS -- and preferably in the P5. Justin Fuente was at the top of my list.

Eric Morris isn't that guy. He's another 37-year-old looking to make his bones like Seth Littrell was in 2015. There are positives about Morris that make me cautiously optimistic, but in telling friends about the hire I keep leaning really hard on one fact like it was my Stuart Smalley daily affirmation: "He recruited Patrick Mahomes."

Please let Morris be so excited in front of the media that Jeff Traylor thinks he should dial it down a notch.

Everyone was fine with SL when we had Fine and were winning.  Two incredible years.

In a sense, Morris seems to be a continuation of THAT side of the SL era, but much better equipped to get/sustain high level QB play.

• Upvote 3