Saint Mary's (11/13/22)

CMJ

Horrible game, but there are plenty of excuses to explain the poor performance.

1..  St Mary is good and almost impossible to beat at home

2.  NT's best player not available

3.  Apparently flu running through the team.

4.  Lack of practice

5.  Lot of new players

6.  Travel to California not easy

7.  Had a lot of layups particularly by Ousmane that were badly missed

None of this can explain the  first half of basketball.  I thought they looked bad in the first game, but this was much worse.

The only positive I noticed was Martinez has an offensive game that will help the team.   

I also doubt there is anyone as good as St. Mary in CUSA this year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

could be too he's more of a THJ kinda streaky player...can get you 25 one night and follow that up with a 14% shooting performance...really not a big enough body of work yet to judge. 

I'm not sure that type of player fits in a defensive-minded team. With the way we've played from last season to these 2 early games, possessions are at a premium. We can't afford to have one guy go 2/14 every 3rd game.

My hope is that with Rubin and Perry active, he moves to a 6th man role and can be a pair of quick, fresh legs to take advantage of a fatigued opposition. Should help our guard play late in the season as well.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well to anyone who watched the game and knows basketball we lost. I suppose to an average fan blinded by the green googles then we won by 6. I don’t take being handed a game by a D2 team at home by pity pulling their starters a loss. Then again that’s why some people coach and play and others just sit around and watch… 

You of all people think I don’t know basketball? Your basketball IQ is about the worst I have ever seen. If you seriously think we asked a D2 school to throw a game to us so we could beat them by 6, you’re an idiot. And that’s nicer then the words I really want to call you

• Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Is there any doubt that Andrew has a large bulletin board in his living room filled with seating charts of every game he's ever been to... And a little string connecting to where Emmitt was sitting?

9EBBA79C-0B77-4D35-918D-6220B38C03D4.jpeg.bdce8d7e3864c2e0a2dc15a23b984139.jpeg

It’s been harder and harder since he and Rudy don’t go to games as much together anymore… 

• Haha 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We could beat them. St Mary's is very good but they have two Quad 3 losses to Washington (16-15) on a neutral site and Colorado State (14-17) at home. Not very good losses. I'm not saying this because I'm a blind homer but there isn't a team this UNT can't beat if they play Mean Green basketball for 40 minutes. It's the droughts that have killed us.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We could beat them. St Mary's is very good but they have two Quad 3 losses to Washington (16-15) on a neutral site and Colorado State (14-17) at home. Not very good losses. I'm not saying this because I'm a blind homer but there isn't a team this UNT can't beat if they play Mean Green basketball for 40 minutes. It's the droughts that have killed us.

Houston would beg to differ

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Houston would beg to differ

That is the only team that came to mind when typing that out. They lost to Temple but it was a 1 point loss. Still, a loss is a loss. On a neutral court, I think UNT can beat the Cougs 2 out of 10. I'm just saying the Mean Green are capable of hanging with anybody.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I probably watch more college basketball than I need to but there's so much bad defense being played around the country. Doesn't matter what conference you look at, it's there. I think UNT's style can really frustrate some of the more recognized programs.

There's no doubt about that.  St. Mary's likes to play pretty slow though and wouldn't be AS frustrated as some schools that like to play really fast.

But yeah, we're sorta like one of Lon Chaney's Temple squads.  They were rarely gifted on offense (other than maybe Mark Macon's era), but they were always a handful in the tournament.  Made the Elite Eight on more than one occasion under him.  

As far as a unknown school that plays great defense and mucks it up.  I flashback to my formative years and Ball State's 1990 tournament run.  Could have easily beaten UNLV in the Sweet 16.  The same Rebels team that annihilated Duke in the title game.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

There's no doubt about that.  St. Mary's likes to play pretty slow though and wouldn't be AS frustrated as some schools that like to play really fast.

But yeah, we're sorta like one of Lon Chaney's Temple squads.  They were rarely gifted on offense (other than maybe Mark Macon's era), but they were always a handful in the tournament.  Made the Elite Eight on more than one occasion under him.  

As far as a unknown school that plays great defense and mucks it up.  I flashback to my formative years and Ball State's 1990 tournament run.  Could have easily beaten UNLV in the Sweet 16.  The same Rebels team that annihilated Duke in the title game.

They like to play slow and they've got pretty good size at the forward and center position. It was brought up in another thread regarding a potential rematch with FAU but Sissoko's development could really be a difference maker this March. He looked really raw when he got time early this season, including against St Mary's, but he appears to be catching on fast. Between him and Ousmane, we can always have a big on the court without fatigue being too much of a concern.