Which Big 12 assistant coaches could take head coaching jobs next

Many young up-and-coming coaches are joining the Big 12 conference this season. With Jim Knowles departing for Ohio State, the overall schematic edge in the league may have shifted to the offensive side of the ball.

This offseason, TCU poached their rival’s head coach and offensive coordinator. At SMU, Sonny Dykes and Garrett Riley built an offensive juggernaut. Riley, the brother of former Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, could be in line to become a head coach soon.

At Texas, Steve Sarkisian brings in the architect of the go-go offense, Brennan Marion. His transcendent offensive mind paired with his recruiting and development track record make him one of the best head coaching candidates in the conference.

Elsewhere are coaches with experience that have been passed up far too often. Jeff Grimes and Graham Harrell have some of the strongest resumes in the conference.

Here’s where I would rank the most likely coaches to receive a head coaching offer.

read more:  https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-big-12-assistant-coaches-hire-head-brennan-marion/

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

If we part ways with SL after this year, I want Brennan Marion for a couple reasons, in descending order:  

1) He has won at every place he has been

2) His offensive philosophy  (that employs some triple option concepts along with the spread) would allow a team at our level to use a scheme that people have to prepare for

3) I’m always in favor of qualified minority coaches getting a shot at a head coaching job

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

From what I can see he (Brennan Marion) has two years FBS experience as a position coach. Might be a great hire, but putting the program in the hands of someone with no HC experience, or at least proven as a Coordinator is risky. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

If we part ways with SL after this year, I want Brennan Marion for a couple reasons, in descending order:  

1) He has won at every place he has been

2) His offensive philosophy  (that employs some triple option concepts along with the spread) would allow a team at our level to use a scheme that people have to prepare for

3) I’m always in favor of qualified minority coaches getting a shot at a head coaching job

You took the words out of my mouth so, here they are again.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

just cause I am more familiar with him:

Graham Harrell, West Virginia

Young and seems to be able to relate to the young players, Texas name and might help with recruiting.   

Would love to see GH here but let’s be honest he’s been big places since he left us here and may be out of our reach now.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Marion intrigues me...a lot.  He has definitely traveled, too:

CA (HS) > PA(HS)  > AzState > OK Baptist > DC > VA > Hawaii > Pitt > TX

Never been in the same spot more than 2 seasons.  I wonder how this fairs for recruiting? Has he developed a ton of relationships all over the country, or does all this hopping around mean he hasn't had time to develop any?

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

At $2.5m it should be someone that has name recognition and has had success as a head coach. No more on the job training! 

Or we take the path like we did with Grant and hire a coach from an up-and-coming lower program who has shown success

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

At $2.5m it should be someone that has name recognition and has had success as a head coach. No more on the job training! 

I vote for this. 

Head coaching is a different animal than Coordinator and some don't adapt well to the new duties.  We haven't done well (less than .500 records) promoting OCs from other programs to become a first time HC (Moore, Dickey, Dodge, Seth, etc.).   

We need a former/current HC, someone that had/has success and already knows what it takes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe Wren would not of hired Seth , because he did not have head coaching experience. I also believe we are at a different level than when we hired Grant. At the comp level and being in the AAC I think the candidates should come from a higher level.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

I vote for this. 

Head coaching is a different animal than Coordinator and some don't adapt well to the new duties.  We haven't done well (less than .500 records) promoting OCs from other programs to become a first time HC (Moore, Dickey, Dodge, Seth, etc.).   

We need a former/current HC, someone that had/has success and already knows what it takes.

Sort of like a Dan McCarney type of hire?

I jest of course but your description while accurate is also quite comparable.

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Instead of a stranger in Marion why not bring back Taschard Choice?  He’s a UT as well:

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tashard-choice/3107

Just say no to UT-tainted coaches, especially those making the leap from position coach to head coach which would mean both Marion and Choice.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is this simply a jab at UT, or do you have reason to believe they wouldn’t work out?

Putting the dislike for UT aside, I am weary of coaches coming from programs that had unlimited resources. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Putting the dislike for UT aside, I am weary of coaches coming from programs that had unlimited resources. 

Totally valid concern, IMO, but it is somewhat softened in a case  like Marion because his background includes stops at every level.  He's done D2, FCS, and G5.

Marion still intrigues me, but he isn't on the top of my wishlist.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

No, but he did WIN a Bowl game for NT.   Just sayin'.

Having Todd Dodge drop Zach Orr, Brelan Chancellor, Mason Y’barbo, Antonio Johnson, Brandin Byrd, Will Wright, Ryan Boutwell, Aaron Bellazin, Richard Abbe, Drew Miller, Brandon McCoy, LaChris Anyiam, and Derek Thompson into his lap certainly didn’t hurt. These were 13 of the 22 starters on that bowl team and were all Dodge recruits including the MVP. Mac did squat after those guys ran out of eligibility despite Skladany being a damn genius at DC.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Totally valid concern, IMO, but it is somewhat softened in a case  like Marion because his background includes stops at every level.  He's done D2, FCS, and G5.

Marion still intrigues me, but he isn't on the top of my wishlist.

Think he might be a great hire as the OC if our next HC had a Defensive background, but nothing shows he is ready to lead an FBS program. A lot of experienced FBS coordinators struggle when given the chance.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

The thing that wigs me out on Marion is his longevity.  He's been at 11 places, including high schools, and he has only been at one of them for longer than 1 season.  I know this is a profession that is very fluid, but I don't think I've ever seen it to that extreme.

Could be nothing.  Could be somethin'.

Gonna have to spend some time some day looking for footage from that UNLV upset.  I want to know more about this GoGo offense.

• Upvote 3