Georgia Transfer WR Commits to UNT

BillySee58

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Stud-georgia-WR-transfer-Tommy-Bush-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-GReen-football-165426130/

As mentioned at the top, he joins a talented receiver room, but still a position group that has some questions as Jyaire Shorter is coming off of a leg injury, Deonte Simpson comes off of a disappointing year, and the departures of Jaelon Darden, Austin Ogunmakin, and Greg White all are holes to fill. If Bush comes in and can live up to the hype, there’s little doubt that he’ll at least get a chance to flourish in 2021, but there’s plenty of work ahead to get to that point.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

There are probably obvious answers that are slipping my mind, but how many P5 transfers have come in and “lived up to the hype”?  
Jalen Guyton, Cole Hedlund...who else?

I just seem to remember the Alec Morris’s and Bryce English’s. (No offense to either of those guys, but for various reasons, neither of them were what we hoped for/expected when they transferred)

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, NT93 said:

There are probably obvious answers that are slipping my mind, but how many P5 transfers have come in and “lived up to the hype”?  

I just seem to remember the Alec Morris’s and Bryce English’s. (No offense to either of those guys, but for various reasons, neither of them were what we hoped for/expected when they transferred)

Darius Terrell was a serviceable WR we got from Texas but never was a star. Senior year Trice definitely lived up to the hype. But yes for every Hedlund or Trice, there seems to be three or four Feldts, Anthony Wallaces, and Farrells. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I would say Guyton only half counts because we signed him out of JUCO. 

Marcus Trice is the number 1 direct P5 transfer we have had in recent years. First team all-CUSA. Reggie Pegram from Purdue was a productive back for us in 2013 and 2014. Darius Terrell from Texas was our second leading receiver in 2014. Anthony Wallace from Oregon had 81 tackles on a really bad defense in 2015, but he produced. D tackle Demonte Hood (Kansas State) and offensive tackle Trey Keenan (Texas Tech) were solid starters on Littrell’s first bowl team in 2016.

From there Littrell really focused on growing this thing through High School recruiting until last year when the P5 transfers started rolling in. I think expecting P5 transfers to be stars is dangerous. Expecting them to come in and be serviceable pieces is pretty reasonable and seems likely given that they fully commit and stay healthy/out of trouble.

Jyaire Shorter had 9 receiving TDs as a RS Freshman in 2019. He’s our outside guy on one side. Deonte Simpson had 517 yards in 8 games last year and will be our other outside receiver. We don’t need Bush to light the world on fire. Just need him to be a serviceable rotation receiver behind those guys.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I would say Guyton only half counts because we signed him out of JUCO. 

Marcus Trice is the number 1 direct P5 transfer we have had in recent years. First team all-CUSA. Reggie Pegram from Purdue was a productive back for us in 2013 and 2014. Darius Terrell from Texas was our second leading receiver in 2014. Anthony Wallace from Oregon had 81 tackles on a really bad defense in 2015, but he produced. D tackle Demonte Hood (Kansas State) and offensive tackle Trey Keenan (Texas Tech) were solid starters on Littrell’s first bowl team in 2016.

From there Littrell really focused on growing this thing through High School recruiting until last year when the P5 transfers started rolling in. I think expecting P5 transfers to be stars is dangerous. Expecting them to come in and be serviceable pieces is pretty reasonable and seems likely given that they fully commit and stay healthy/out of trouble.

Jyaire Shorter had 9 receiving TDs as a RS Freshman in 2019. He’s our outside guy on one side. Deonte Simpson had 517 yards in 8 games last year and will be our other outside receiver. We don’t need Bush to light the world on fire. Just need him to be a serviceable rotation receiver behind those guys.

Great examples and good point about Bush. 
Hopefully Enoch Jackson is a breakthrough transfer, although admittedly we have good numbers on the Dline finally. So maybe as long as he is a solid two deep contributor then we can consider it a win there. But would be great to have a successor to Novil. 

• Upvote 2

I think Bush will do very well here. He just had a string of bad luck with injuries. If we can keep him healthy, I think he will be more than serviceable. Last year he got hit by a car. How often does that happen? Hopefully he stays healthy here and shows the reasons why he was so highly recruited out of high school. Hopefully not a Sam Bowie type of guy for those old heads who remember him and Michael Jordan coming out at the same time.

• Upvote 3

I’m trying to stay optimistic about this guy. It kinda reminds me of the kid we got from OU that we were so excited about, but never did much. 
if he’s the real deal, I actually see him and shorter on the outside and Simpson moving inside to the slot. Where he will kill it. 
I’m so excited to get shorter back. There were times where they just flat out said run a fly route, and the cb had no chance. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

I’m trying to stay optimistic about this guy. It kinda reminds me of the kid we got from OU that we were so excited about, but never did much. 
if he’s the real deal, I actually see him and shorter on the outside and Simpson moving inside to the slot. Where he will kill it. 
I’m so excited to get shorter back. There were times where they just flat out said run a fly route, and the cb had no chance. 

Shorter has been one of my favs from day one. His size and and speed I don’t think we have ever seen at UNT. Clocked at 20 mph!!! GMG 

• Upvote 1