Put UNT Player’s Names On Jerseys?

PlummMeanGreen

♻️ Should UNT player’s names be on jerseys?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Names on back of jerseys?

I don’t know why we are doing the no names this year because some times I can’t really tell who the player is and they change their numbers all the time.

I’m ready to say “see ya” to the throwbacks and get back to the regulars and STICK WITH IT! We are North Texas, not NTSU.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 6

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I don’t know why we are doing the no names this year because some times I can’t really tell who the player is and they change their numbers all the time.

I’m ready to say “see ya” to the throwbacks and get back to the regulars and STICK WITH IT! We are North Texas, not NTSU.

First section yes, second no.  The throwbacks are great and very important to us establishing connection to our past where there has been a chasm for way too long.  We need to keep that going.  Not overdo it, but it’s great having them at the ready.  But I agree, I want names on the back. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

First section yes, second no.  The throwbacks are great and very important to us establishing connection to our past where there has been a chasm for way too long.  We need to keep that going.  Not overdo it, but it’s great having them at the ready.  But I agree, I want names on the back. 

What I meant in “see ya” was to wearing them all the time. Wear throwbacks on occasion, not most of the time.

I just don’t like how people see us in the NT helmets and associate us with NTSU (which is happening more recently from what I’ve seen). I would rather progress the name North Texas, more than go back to NTSU.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What I meant in “see ya” was to wearing them all the time. Wear throwbacks on occasion, not most of the time.

I just don’t like how people see us in the NT helmets and associate us with NTSU (which is happening more recently from what I’ve seen). I would rather progress the name North Texas, more than go back to NTSU.

Just my 2 cents...

I get it - I also think we might be overly sensitive to that though.  A&M celebrates their AMC heritage for example.  Plenty of schools have gone through name changes throughout the years and it’s ok.  We haven’t won much so we have this escapism to our identity but there were some good times as NTSU.  I don’t mind it at all. 

• Upvote 1

I view announcers on TV referring to North Texas State as a dig. I don't mind the use of NTSU as a historical reference but in today's college athletics I feel North Texas as more appropriate.

As far as names on the back of jerseys ...would appreciate it since numbers change etc and I've yet to pick up a game day program at one of this year's football games that would help in whose who ..maybe I'm just running late and they run out.....

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Plumm, do you remember the early 60s when the old AFL was a start-up league ?  Likely to be different, some AFL teams, notably the Dallas Texans, put the players name on the back of the pants.  

Put that in your Google.  J

I was 10 when the AFL began, “J.” 
Bud Adams & the Houston Oilers.....The team I followed being from the H-Town area had on jersey last names like: •(George) Blanda•(Billy) Cannon•(Charley) Tolar• (Don) Floyd•(Charley) Hennigan•(Scott)Appleton•(Sid)Blanks•
(Bob)Talamini, etc.

My take on names on the backs of jerseys is mostly when the MG are on TV that viewers can more readily ID our players.  

GMG!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I was 10 when the AFL began, “J.” 
Bud Adams & the Houston Oilers.....The team I followed being from the H-Town area had on jersey last names like: •(George) Blanda•(Billy) Cannon•(Charley) Tolar• (Don) Floyd•(Charley) Hennigan•(Scott)Appleton•(Sid)Blanks•
(Bob)Talamini, etc.

My take on names on the backs of jerseys is mostly when the MG are on TV that viewers can more readily ID our players.  

GMG!

Good grief, Charley Tolar. All 5'6" X 210 lbs. "The human bowling ball". I used to love to watch Houston play in the early days of the AFL. Later in the 60's I remember a player for NT that reminded me of Tolar. His name was Wilie Cherry, and I believe he played in 65 and 66. AND I believe we wore #33.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Good grief, Charley Tolar. All 5'6" X 210 lbs. "The human bowling ball". I used to love to watch Houston play in the early days of the AFL. Later in the 60's I remember a player for NT that reminded me of Tolar. His name was Wilie Cherry, and I believe he played in 65 and 66. AND I believe we wore #33.

Silver, Tolar was popular with the locals because he was so doggone’ small, but he could most always get the 1 or 2 yards he’d need.  Oiler games in old Jeppesen (later Robertson) Stadium were fun to go to as a kid.  

Hoyle Granger (pron. “gron’jay as I’m sure you’d recall) would take Tolar’s place.  
🤔 W. Cherry? Before my time, but of course you are so much older than, uh, me.🙄

GMG!

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Silver, Tolar was popular with the locals because he was so doggone’ small, but he could most always get the 1 or 2 yards he’d need.  Oiler games in old Jeppesen (later Robertson) Stadium were fun to go to as a kid.  

Hoyle Granger (pron. “gron’jay as I’m sure you’d recall) would take Tolar’s place.  
🤔 W. Cherry? Before my time, but of course you are so much older than, uh, me.🙄

GMG!

Saw him twice @ homecoming games on "Band Days",...... which my HS band was always invited to.