Complaint Filed Against Student Fee Vote

UNTFan23

23 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Brett has added some details to his initial article and it sounds like the protest is centered around the Election Board meeting during pre-finals week to certify the results, which is against UNT policies. So, they will meet once school starts back up in (mid) January.

Beginning to think that Mr. Vito gets the vast majority of his content and all his traffic from GoMeanGreen.com.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

They say full-time student is 12 hours, but most of us here would say that we usually did 15 hours per semester, right?

So four bucks an hour times 15 hours time two semesters is about $120 increase, right?

I'd challenge everyone on this board who supports this fee increase to increase their own annual alumni contributions to athletics by $120.  It ain't that much more. 

I think it'd be interesting to see our AD try something like this... Run a campaign geared to alumni at the same time they try to get students to vote for an increase.  That's one guilt trip that would work on me.

Send something out that says, "the students just voted for $## increase, will you match?"

I would.

8 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I think it'd be interesting to see our AD try something like this... Run a campaign geared to alumni at the same time they try to get students to vote for an increase.  That's one guilt trip that would work on me.

Send something out that says, "the students just voted for $## increase, will you match?"

I would.

I like this.  I like it a lot. 

15 hours ago, bdan2002 said:

Not having read the formal complaint, and only piecing together based upon the tweet from SGA -- I don't think the complainants have have a strong case.  Being a former SGA President, we had several people certify that we could actually conduct an election.  The policy clearly states three things can't happen:

1.  No new curricular content - that relates to teaching new materials by faculty

2.  Student Organizations do not meet - if there is any case, it would be this one.  Did student orgs meet to discuss the vote?  From my understanding, these policy refers to formal or official meetings of these organizations.  That would be more of an organizational issue, and not an SGA issue.  

3. No extracurricular activities will be required - again, did a or several organizations make it "mandatory" for their people to vote?  That may be the one thing that is left up to interpretation. 

It's a really smart move for anyone who opposes it though. They probably knew the election board couldn't meet which would delay the results and now that means an increase can't go into effect until Fall 2018 if it even gets approved by the election board. 

If the board decides that there needs to be a special election to revote then it won't look good for the referendum because as anyone who's been apart of a runoff knows (2013/2014 SGA VP), it's much harder to get students to vote twice for something that you already got them to vote for. 

sometimes i really hate about half the students out there (maybe more).  this is probably the works of someone who graduates in 2018. 

also, people who don't vote for this for the most part won't come back to the school after graduation more than twice.  i would say a driving factor for alumni to come back to the school is athletics and the students who vote no won't care to come back.    

• Lovely Take 1

20 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Not sure how quickly the new fee was supposed to go into effect, but if it was supposed to already apply for the upcoming spring semester (which I doubt as tuition bills have already been sent) then it would delay the fee by a semester.

I had heard they wanted to get and start it in the Spring of 18, but I read it would have started in the Fall of 18...