Column: North Texas football needs its students in attendance

Skipper

9 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Great Article!! If we could just get 10-15,00 Students in there, it would make such a difference. I haven't been on campus in a long time but do they hang up posters and flyers through out campus promoting the home games?

Literally emailed to the students 2/3 times a during game week... Posted on twitter, Posters given out to the apartment complexs... 

• Lovely Take 3

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Literally emailed to the students 2/3 times a during game week... Posted on twitter, Posters given out to the apartment complexs... 

But as far as flyers on the doors of the Student Union, Dorms and what not? I graduated in 2010 and I dont think I ever saw anything promoting the football team

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Withers940 said:

But as far as flyers on the doors of the Student Union, Dorms and what not? I graduated in 2010 and I dont think I ever saw anything promoting the football team

I saw all kinds of things posted around in 2010, most notably "Dodge's Dog Pound," but given the state of the program, most people completely ignored it and waited to watch basketball. 

• Lovely Take 1

OK..back to my suggestion that they introduce the 'starting crowd' for today's game.  Every student organization that notifies the athletic two days prior to kickoff will be introduced over the PA system.  Each organization will stand and be recognized as their organization''s name is announced.  Everyone likes recognition.  Just a thought.

'AND NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, INTRODUCING THE STARTING CROWD FOR TODAY'S GAME.  TALONS, GREEN BRIGADE, DANCERS, WEST DORM, MAPLE HALL, ETC., ETC. ....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, drex said:

OK..back to my suggestion that they introduce the 'starting crowd' for today's game.  Every student organization that notifies the athletic two days prior to kickoff will be introduced over the PA system.  Each organization will stand and be recognized as their organization''s name is announced.  Everyone likes recognition.  Just a thought.

'AND NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, INTRODUCING THE STARTING CROWD FOR TODAY'S GAME.  TALONS, GREEN BRIGADE, DANCERS, WEST DORM, MAPLE HALL, ETC., ETC. ....

To steal from Baylor, doesn't/didn't Baylor do something that students could run onto the field before the game has started and before the teams

21 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Yes on the dorms, yes they have random signs about games and how to get tickets up all over campus..

If you're a student it is very easy to find out about when we have a game.. They text you to accept your ticket... 

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

To steal from Baylor, doesn't/didn't Baylor do something that students could run onto the field before the game has started and before the teams

It's called the Baylor Line. First year students get to lead the team on the field and then sit in a special section directly behind the visitor's bench. It gets people used to coming to every home game, no matter the opponent. 

• Upvote 1

how about we have a competition between groups....Greeks, Dorms, Music.....name your group.  Whichever group has the most butts in seats for each game wins front row, or best section seating for the next game....or make it a season.  If the FIJI has the most confirmed people in the stadium for the whole game, they get the best greek seating for the next year.  Do the same for dorms or other groups.  Everybody loves a competition and recognition.  Make it where each greek/group can send in FROSH on game day 2 hours prior to kick-off, to stake out that groups seats for the game...other than the winning group.  Get the students involved...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

As current student, I'm always asking if people are going to the game. Unfortunately I get a lot of no answers. I ask why....the number one answer is "They suck." It's unfortunate but the reputation the program has as a losing one seems to dampen excitement about attending the game. I don't think that will change without a long sustained run of winning. A Conference USA championship and wins against programs that people know will go a long way in my opinion. 

GMG 

• Upvote 3

The student section during the 2013 season was electric . . . especially at the Rice game.  Two things to note:

1.  It was a winning season.  That obviously gets students interested.

2.  The Rice game was a Halloween night game . . . and a Thursday night game.  I know alumni in Dallas and Fort Worth hate those games, because it is difficult to make it up for those.  But for a student population that has a large contingent leaving town every weekend, Thursday night games are perfect.  Having one of those every year (but just one) is good for getting the students into Apogee.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I did a lot of work when I was a student (#hit30k and @FillApogee) but it was all grassroots and I gave it away when I graduated. Now the kid who runs it just cares about parties.

2013’s student section was electric and wild, haven’t seen anything close in a while.

Yeah @FillApogee is all about Co-Ed Thursdays and Lil Uzi Vert in Dallas every 5 seconds. I had to stop following them

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I did a lot of work when I was a student (#hit30k and @FillApogee) but it was all grassroots and I gave it away when I graduated. Now the kid who runs it just cares about parties.

2013’s student section was electric and wild, haven’t seen anything close in a while.

I also thought you did a fantastic job on that and it certainly hasn't been the same since your departure.

On 9/27/2017 at 3:35 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

As current student, I'm always asking if people are going to the game. Unfortunately I get a lot of no answers. I ask why....the number one answer is "They suck." It's unfortunate but the reputation the program has as a losing one seems to dampen excitement about attending the game. I don't think that will change without a long sustained run of winning. A Conference USA championship and wins against programs that people know will go a long way in my opinion. 

GMG 

When they answer that it's because "we suck", do you try to educate them briefly on why we can be an exciting team to watch and that we have a good chance at heading to another bowl game this season? To start changing any cultural perceptions, education comes first. Most of those students say that yet they know nothing about our current program.

4 minutes ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

When they answer that it's because "we suck", do you try to educate them briefly on why we can be an exciting team to watch and that we have a good chance at heading to another bowl game this season? To start changing any cultural perceptions, education comes first. Most of those students say that yet they know nothing about our current program.

Exactly.

Answer with the following:

1.  It is your school.

2.  Did you know we went to a bowl game last year?

3.  Did you know we have one of the top offenses in the nation?

4.  We are undefeated in conference.

5.  Doesn't cost a thing.

6.  Tailgate and meet some awesome alumni that will feed you for free, and, if of age, ply you with alcohol.

7.  And sitting at home watching the NCIS marathon makes you suck less?

8.  It is your school.

9.  It is a lot of fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly.

Answer with the following:

1.  It is your school.

2.  Did you know we went to a bowl game last year?

3.  Did you know we have one of the top offenses in the nation?

4.  We are undefeated in conference.

5.  Doesn't cost a thing.

6.  Tailgate and meet some awesome alumni that will feed you for free, and, if of age, ply you with alcohol.

7.  And sitting at home watching the NCIS marathon makes you suck less?

8.  It is your school.

9.  It is a lot of fun.

Right...I think talking points like this would start to make at least some students think twice about UNT football as a just a "loser program" and start paying more attention and feeling more pride eventually for their school. The easy conclusion everyone falls back on is "until we win consistently"...and I think there's much more to it and that's a lazy argument. There are losing programs in FBS that still bring in solid crowds solely because people have school pride coming from tradition beyond the "Ls" and "W's" and have fun while they're at it, ie tailgating, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1