Can't Get Student Tickets

AustinFromUNT

This year they have transitioned the student tickets to a digital format. Sounds great right? There is a problem though, the site still isn't working. It's just under 48 hours until kickoff and students can't get their tickets yet. I'm sure the guys at the AD are working hard to get this fixed, but I am concerned it will hurt student attendance. 

8 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

This year they have transitioned the student tickets to a digital format. Sounds great right? There is a problem though, the site still isn't working. It's just under 48 hours until kickoff and students can't get their tickets yet. I'm sure the guys at the AD are working hard to get this fixed, but I am concerned it will hurt student attendance. 

Shouldn't affect it... They have back up plans 

What's the rationale for making students get a ticket (physical or elecrronic)?  When I attended many, many years ago you just used your student ID as your ticket.  Why go through the extra step?  Seems like it makes it harder for students to attend sports events instead of easier.  There must be a good reason for it, but it eludes me.  

6 minutes ago, keith said:

What's the rationale for making students get a ticket (physical or elecrronic)?  When I attended many, many years ago you just used your student ID as your ticket.  Why go through the extra step?  Seems like it makes it harder for students to attend sports events instead of easier.  There must be a good reason for it, but it eludes me.  

For announced attendance, you get to count all tickets "sold". If a student gets a ticket before the game and doesn't show, then they get to count them as attending. If they show up at the game, they still get in. Also, if every student shows up (lol), then the ones with tickets get in and we don't end up with more people than seats.

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

For announced attendance, you get to count all tickets "sold". If a student gets a ticket before the game and doesn't show, then they get to count them as attending. If they show up at the game, they still get in. Also, if every student shows up (lol), then the ones with tickets get in and we don't end up with more people than seats.

Part of the plan Wren released had a task for making ticket delivery digital.  So students would request a ticket (via an app?) on their phones, and have it delivered to them electronically.  Then, instead of having a paper ticket scanned, they can just have a QR code on their phone scanned.  This would still protect the unlikely (but I really wish it would happen!) scenario above.
Hopefully they'll have that task completed by next season.

10 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Thanks Forever.   Is that the official reason?   We are certainly a long way from more students showing up then there are seats.  What happens to a student that shows up (at the tailgate, for example) and decides they want to attend the game, but didn't get a ticket beforehand?  Can they still get in?

2 minutes ago, keith said:

Thanks Forever.   Is that the official reason?   We are certainly a long way from more students showing up then there are seats.  What happens to a student that shows up (at the tailgate, for example) and decides they want to attend the game, but didn't get a ticket beforehand?  Can they still get in?

I don't think there is an "official" reason, but that is the logical explanation. If a student shows up and wants to get in, they still can. They would be taking something of a risk of not getting a ticket were we able to routinely sell out the stadium, but as of now, not an issue. You can usually see the ticket line at the student side ticket office before games.

I would think that an additional benefit is the data the system collects. Requiring name, email, mobile phone, etc. allows them to collect very valuable data for when they graduate. Most importantly, that mobile phone number is huge. Who changes mobile phone numbers anymore? So now they have a great way to reach former students. In addition, they can see what games, sports, etc. each student attends. This will help with targeted sales calls/marketing down the line. It's another smart move by WB & Co.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1