Big 12 Changes Visitors Ticket Policy

If we schedule against Big 12 foes at their place in the future, we will have 1,000 less tickets.  We've already got a future roadies with Mizzou and Texas Tech.
http://www.newson6.com/story/35853868/big-12-policy-change-opens-up-more-season-tickets

This also obviously affects whatever money we might make on those 1,000 fewer tickets available to be sold.  Sure, not much; but, when you have a budget as small as ours, every dollar does count. 

So...does this make Big 12 schools less attractive for scheduling?

You've got many P5 schools now getting 7 or 8 homes games.  How long do the G5s just hang on with the P5s?  I think the AAC and MWC might hang in there for the long haul.  The rest of us, I'm just not sure.  If all P5 commit to 7 or 8 home games, you can kiss future hopes of home-and-home from even smaller P5s goodbye. 

So...maybe it's "Give me Liberty, or Give me Death" after all.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, mgfan said:

Part of this may be because some G5 aren't travelling well. Also payouts to G5's seem to be going up and up. 

This affects more than just G5 schools. It will affect all visiting teams playing a Big 12 opponent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, forevereagle said:

Mizzou is in the SEC, so not impacted here.

Getting old.  Forgot Mizzou had left.  Thanks for the up.

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

This affects more than just G5 schools. It will affect all visiting teams playing a Big 12 opponent.

Yes, however, in theory, fellow Big 12 schools are getting Big 12 TV and bowl money, so it will mean less to them.  Plus, they can make it up during their own home games where they now have 1,000 more seats available to sell to their own fans/season ticket holders.

Might not mean much to Iowa State.  But, Oklahoma and Texas will sell out 1,000 seats to people on their season ticket wait list in a day or two.  Probably at Oklahoma State and West Virginia as well.

Does anyone think it will ever just become a Lions versus Christians spectacle for G5s visiting P5s, with no ticket allotment for G5s beyond staff, players, and their families?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, however, in theory, fellow Big 12 schools are getting Big 12 TV and bowl money, so it will mean less to them.  Plus, they can make it up during their own home games where they now have 1,000 more seats available to sell to their own fans/season ticket holders.

Might not mean much to Iowa State.  But, Oklahoma and Texas will sell out 1,000 seats to people on their season ticket wait list in a day or two.  Probably at Oklahoma State and West Virginia as well.

Does anyone think it will ever just become a Lions versus Christians spectacle for G5s visiting P5s, with no ticket allotment for G5s beyond staff, players, and their families?

It will turn into that if the G5s don't bring anyone--but its courtesy now and the school doesn't really care who pays full price for a ticket, as long as the allotment is used. I don't see that changing anytime soon. These P5 giants just want a team that they can devour in front of an adoring fan base, especially if it helps them get some bench players some experience or helps the lower P5s to get bowl eligible.

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

If we schedule against Big 12 foes at their place in the future, we will have 1,000 less tickets.  We've already got a future roadies with Mizzou and Texas Tech.
http://www.newson6.com/story/35853868/big-12-policy-change-opens-up-more-season-tickets

This also obviously affects whatever money we might make on those 1,000 fewer tickets available to be sold.  Sure, not much; but, when you have a budget as small as ours, every dollar does count. 

So...does this make Big 12 schools less attractive for scheduling?

You've got many P5 schools now getting 7 or 8 homes games.  How long do the G5s just hang on with the P5s?  I think the AAC and MWC might hang in there for the long haul.  The rest of us, I'm just not sure.  If all P5 commit to 7 or 8 home games, you can kiss future hopes of home-and-home from even smaller P5s goodbye. 

So...maybe it's "Give me Liberty, or Give me Death" after all.

Some on this board would certainly chose death. lol.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Speaking of Iowa State, it was brought up in another thread about P5 programs we would like to face.. Anyone have any thoughts of setting up something with Iowa State? 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Speaking of Iowa State, it was brought up in another thread about P5 programs we would like to face.. Anyone have any thoughts of setting up something with Iowa State? 

Yes, I have many times posted we should attempt a series with Iowa State.  However, as also noted in one of those threads, Iowa State is a school that rarely schedules OOC away or home games with schools south of Missouri.

In the 21st Century, they've had one such series with Tulsa.  Before that, your have to go back 20 years since they stepped foot in Texas for an OOC game.  That was against TCU in 1995. 

Iowa State's OOC is full from now until 2024.  Their OOC is composed of one regional FCS a year (Northern Iowa every other year, intersparsed with South Dakota, South Dakota State, SE Missouri State, and North Dakota).  They have series with MAC schools, another with UNLV, and another with Arkansas State.

Would I live Iowa State here?  Yes.  But, they are in Texas every year now as a member of the Big 12.  That's likely the reason they haven't played an OOC away game here since 1995.  Big 12 inception was 1996.  There hasn't been a need for them to schedule OOCs in Texas.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:48 AM, untjim1995 said:

It will turn into that if the G5s don't bring anyone--but its courtesy now and the school doesn't really care who pays full price for a ticket, as long as the allotment is used. I don't see that changing anytime soon. These P5 giants just want a team that they can devour in front of an adoring fan base, especially if it helps them get some bench players some experience or helps the lower P5s to get bowl eligible.

Agree.  Just think it's another step toward the P5s breaking away. 

Plus, they are trying to keep up with their own Joneses in the P5 realm.  With the constant upgrades they have to make, at steeper funding levels than we could ever imagine, they'd like to have those 1,000 seats in the hands of paid season ticket owners. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, I have many times posted we should attempt a series with Iowa State.  However, as also noted in one of those threads, Iowa State is a school that rarely schedules OOC away or home games with schools south of Missouri.

In the 21st Century, they've had one such series with Tulsa.  Before that, your have to go back 20 years since they stepped foot in Texas for an OOC game.  That was against TCU in 1995. 

Iowa State's OOC is full from now until 2024.  Their OOC is composed of one regional FCS a year (Northern Iowa every other year, intersparsed with South Dakota, South Dakota State, SE Missouri State, and North Dakota).  They have series with MAC schools, another with UNLV, and another with Arkansas State.

Would I live Iowa State here?  Yes.  But, they are in Texas every year now as a member of the Big 12.  That's likely the reason they haven't played an OOC away game here since 1995.  Big 12 inception was 1996.  There hasn't been a need for them to schedule OOCs in Texas.

Agree.  Just think it's another step toward the P5s breaking away. 

Plus, they are trying to keep up with their own Joneses in the P5 realm.  With the constant upgrades they have to make, at steeper funding levels than we could ever imagine, they'd like to have those 1,000 seats in the hands of paid season ticket owners. 

The people to go after are the folks who need Texas ties in a bad way. Mizzou, Colorado, even Nebraska are solid targets within the P5 realm, as are teams like Utah, Arizona or Arizona State. That Pac 12 non-Cali schools could use a game here for recruiting, especially the ones I just mentioned.

But the biggest win we could possibly get is a series with Okie State, just to give them another game each year in the DFW area, since they play both Baylor and TCU at home and away in the same season, like we do with UTEP and UTSA currently.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The people to go after are the folks who need Texas ties in a bad way. Mizzou, Colorado, even Nebraska are solid targets within the P5 realm, as are teams like Utah, Arizona or Arizona State. That Pac 12 non-Cali schools could use a game here for recruiting, especially the ones I just mentioned.

But the biggest win we could possibly get is a series with Okie State, just to give them another game each year in the DFW area, since they play both Baylor and TCU at home and away in the same season, like we do with UTEP and UTSA currently.

It would be nice if WB was able to work the OKState, Mizzo, heck even Memphis connections go get these guys... But I would like to see schools like Kansas, Iowa State come here because they are P5s but they are P5s that are usually the whooping boys for the bigger programs, because we stand a better chance vs them and they recruit often in the area and likely bring a bigger following than schools like Indiana and others. 

Would also like to see the Pac12 schools. Would be nice to do them in 4-5 years after hopefully the IPF and other facilities have been built. Would be a nice way to present the program in terms of what we have to them when conference re-alignment comes up.