MGN: NT Defense Under Reffett

aztecskin

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, I saw the DB giving a 5 yard cushion on 4th and 1. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

What are you proposing?   Thompson immediately 'show' behind the line of scrimmage and Morris throw to him so he can run the 1 yd to get the first down?

You do know the DB is probably able to cover 5 yards in a second (or less), right?  Hello TFL.

Again, Morris checked to this play because he saw his number 1 in single, press coverage. He was never going to look at Thompson (and didn't). Looking at Thompson is risky for a number of reasons, including the possibility that a DL could swat the ball. The lob to Goree is less risky in that respect, even though it requires a (nearly) perfect throw. The ball was short. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What are you proposing?   Thompson immediately 'show' behind the line of scrimmage and Morris throw to him so he can run the 1 yd to get the first down?

You do know the DB is probably able to cover 5 yards in a second (or less), right?  Hello TFL.

True, The top Receiver from the snapshots show that he also had a cushion of five yards and he was on the line of scrimmage. He could of fallen forward for a yard.

But cant change anything now. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Looking at the three WR's in the play, Goree had the tightest coverage.  Pump fake him to draw defenders off of the other WR's, move around in the pocket to buy some time, something to get us 1 yard.  A sideline ball thrown up for grabs, under thrown at that, is the lowest percentage play in that situation.

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Goree did have a habit of not fighting for jump balls.  Not sure why.  Only catch that really sticks out to me was his TD catch against WKU in the end zone in 2015 (I think) where he came over the top of the WKU defender to take away an under thrown ball.  Always puzzled me why he was not willing to fight for the ball more.

If he had to fight for passes in practice, he would be more prepared to fight for them in games.  

Under mac, we had our corners play with big cushions.  It's no surprise that when we faced tighter coverage/bump and run our WRs didn't get any separation.  And yes, the corners practiced the same way they played.  It gave our QBs and WRs a false impression of how good they were.

The coverage got tighter under Litrell, but our players still need to unlearn the bad habits.  Especially if you have been doing it for a while.  I complained about the corners not looking back for the ball during the season, but a lot of that had to do with the reps they were getting in practice.  It's easy for me to yell at the TV "turn around!", but when you haven't turned around for a ball in 2 years, you lose it.  

When you haven't played against tight coverage in a while, you lose those skills that most would think should be automatic and instinct.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Looking at the three WR's in the play, Goree had the tightest coverage.  Pump fake him to draw defenders off of the other WR's, move around in the pocket to buy some time, something to get us 1 yard.  A sideline ball thrown up for grabs, under thrown at that, is the lowest percentage play in that situation.

No, THIS is the lowest percentage play.  You saw in those screenshots how the safety blitz went right by Keenan.
The play itself was a good one.   The execution was terrible.  
Just execute the play.  You have a talented receiver isolated 1-on-1 with a db, you let him do his thing.  Poor ball by Morris & poor effort by Goree = lamenting by all.
I imagine this play, along with several others like it from Morris early on this season, is what got him yanked for Fine.
Oh well,
I'm just glad they got better throughout the year.   Expecting a better game this year with no Davis (hopefully), even though Hicks is not bad.

25 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

? He announced he is returning to SMU not going to the NFL

Then I'm sure there'll be 3 or 4 bailout throws the QB will just throw in his general vicinity and he'll come down with them in critical situations.

I'm sure everyone recalls this gem:

Oh yeah, and don't forget to forward ahead to 1:40 as well...  I hate Courtland Sutton.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Found out late 1st/early 2nd round money is less than what he can pull down at SMU.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No, THIS is the lowest percentage play.  You saw in those screenshots how the safety blitz went right by Keenan.
The play itself was a good one.   The execution was terrible.  
Just execute the play.  You have a talented receiver isolated 1-on-1 with a db, you let him do his thing.  Poor ball by Morris & poor effort by Goree = lamenting by all.
I imagine this play, along with several others like it from Morris early on this season, is what got him yanked for Fine.

Difference in opinions.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Difference in opinions.

I understand your frustration in the audible, but it was designed to go to Goree and no one else.

Thompson never really looks for the ball, either.

We're telling you what the play is, not our opinion.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Well F. I assume his handlers were not convinced he would go in the first couple of rounds

Sutton I want to say filed and requested them to review him and give him a draft grade..

I wanna say it was board line RD 1 or 2(could be wrong, but believe it could have been RD 2 or 3). Once he saw that he decided to come back and play another year. But Vito did post about Sutton returning, No idea about when Vito did to go back and reference it.

18 hours ago, Aldo said:

I understand your frustration in the audible, but it was designed to go to Goree and no one else.

Thompson never really looks for the ball, either.

We're telling you what the play is, not our opinion.

Got it.  Then we should have stuck with the run!  I am being hard headed.  My Mom would be proud.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:55 PM, Aldo said:

You are correct, but alas...

I think Littrell said as much. Watch the video and you see all the space along the sideline that Goree had -- he ran a good route, gave Morris the room to throw it to his outside shoulder. It was mostly a poor throw, I don't know how Goree could have caught that over the CB. The DB had perfect position on him. 

3 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I don't know how Goree could have caught that over the CB. 

Don't think he could have caught it, but he was in a position to become a defender.

ETA: I've lost track of what we were talking about.

Edited by Aldo