Brad Davis to Florida

AustinFromUNT

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Well, that's a good sign when solid P5 schools want to hire away your coaches.  

It's a good sign if you can afford to hire replacements.  Dickey had constant assistant churn, it was one of the things that really hampered recruiting for that staff.  

Should we look for Lefty?  Seriously seems like we've hired from Florida but never lost one to there.  Congrats to Davis and kudos to Littrell for making such a solid hire.  Now we need him to do the same.  This is a Critical position coach especially right now.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Should we look for Lefty?  Seriously seems like we've hired from Florida but never lost one to there.  Congrats to Davis and kudos to Littrell for making such a solid hire.  Now we need him to do the same.  This is a Critical position coach especially right now.

agreed OL Coach could have a huge impact, and needs to be someone with ties to Texas.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Maybe out of left field but what about Brian Waters? Not sure if he would want to coach or if he would be a good fit but he knows how to play the oline and a former alum that was an All-Pro seems like a good fit. 

don't think he has very many ties with the school or program at this point.  I would love to have him around more for sure.... just don't think throwing him in at OL is the right move with no prior exp.

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Maybe out of left field but what about Brian Waters? Not sure if he would want to coach or if he would be a good fit but he knows how to play the oline and a alumni that was an All-Pro seems like a good fit. 

Won't have ties to Littrell but wow he would be an amazing guy to have with his success at the NFL level.

27 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

OL is a spot we need a good coach, not a great recruiter..

Whole heartedly disagree.  Every position coach better be a dang good recruiter.  Don't believe me? Look at UTSA class, and UNT class.  I'm sure our coaches will get plenty out of this class, but recruiting matters. 

hmmm ?!?

• Upvote 4

Just now, GMG24 said:

Whole heartedly disagree.  Every position coach better be a dang good recruiter.  Don't believe me? Look at UTSA class, and UNT class.  I'm sure our coaches will get plenty out of this class, but recruiting matters. 

while yes we need to improve recruiting.. OL is not a spot that we need the best recruiter and bad coach.. if our OL is good/great it makes the other spots even better(just look at the cowboys).. Give me the best OL coach that is avg at recruiting. then other position groups we can bring in the great recruiters

This is a very young group with 5 True Freshman... Also, Davis seemed to have nice recruiting edge in Houston as well..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I agree, What's the budget to hire an Oline coach? Would we give a pay bump for a coach or would we keep it the same for the new coach? Maybe Wren can work out something to get us extra money for the position. It is one of the most important on the staff and he needs to be able to not only be a good coach but be able to get the talent at the position.

REALLY hate to see Davis leave our coaching team, but that's the way football go. He probably got a nice financial incentive and he's headed to a good program. All the best, Coach Davis, and thanks for your service to UNT.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I agree, What's the budget to hire an Oline coach? Would we give a pay bump for a coach or would we keep it the same for the new coach? Maybe Wren can work out something to get us extra money for the position. It is one of the most important on the staff and he needs to be able to not only be a good coach but be able to get the talent at the position.

Davis was making 150k. i think we should shell out that much for his replacement and also increase the pay for our DCs. No reason why Graham Harrell should be making more than Reffett and Ekeler. I also do not believe that any of our coaches should be making under 100k at this point... except for maybe the recruiting coordinator. 

I hate to lose brad Davis. He seemed like he was a great coach and our oline may have actually over achieved last year believe it or not. 

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

hmmm ?!?

Why yes, yes we do. If you had an exceptional NFL career I think we can find a place somewhere on the staff for you!

1 minute ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Davis was making 150k. i think we should shell out that much for his replacement and also increase the pay for our DCs. No reason why Graham Harrell should be making more than Reffett and Ekeler.

Well Harrell is the solo OC while EK and Reff split so I'm ok with that even if I question some play calling. I can't question that our QB recruits/transfers have been the best in some years and I credit that to Harrell.

4 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Well Harrell is the solo OC while EK and Reff split so I'm ok with that even if I question some play calling. I can't question that our QB recruits/transfers have been the best in some years and I credit that to Harrell.

I agree that he should be paid what he is being paid... i just thing Eke and Reffett should be paid more. maybe Reffett should be at 190-200k and eke a bit above that. Also, nate brown is due a raise above 100k and, once june hits, Mainord is losing his 200k check from Kentucky and will be due a raise to about 150-160k from the 75k we paid him this past year. Anyway this goes, we will need to pay about 200k more to these coaches after next season to be competitive in retaining what we have or hiring their replacements. 

OK-State just dismissed an OL coach.. that has experience in the NFL as a tight ends coach, and history within the SEC/Big 12 and Marshall..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Adkins

http://okstate.com/news/2015/2/26/Gundy_Announces_Five_New_Staff_Additions.aspx

Here is his 24/7 profile.. was one of the top recruiters within the Big12(was #10 recruiter behind Traylor) in 2016. http://247sports.com/Coach/Greg-Adkins-600 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

OK-State just dismissed an OL coach.. that has experience in the NFL as a tight ends coach, and history within the SEC/Big 12 and Marshall..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Adkins

http://okstate.com/news/2015/2/26/Gundy_Announces_Five_New_Staff_Additions.aspx

Here is his 24/7 profile.. was one of the top recruiters within the Big12(was #10 recruiter behind Traylor) in 2016. http://247sports.com/Coach/Greg-Adkins-600 

But then the question becomes how much do we have to shell out to get him.