No. 1-128 College Football Rankings

brooks91

51 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

For whatever these lists are worth after the Top 25-40, this seems slightly low. Maybe in the high 70's to low 80's. 

Hope to (and believe that we will) make a considerable jump in 2017!

• Upvote 1

I think this has some importance as regards the perception of our football program.  We are no longer seen as one of the worst by outsiders.  Where you end the season has a lot to do with where you start the next preseason. These ratings may have little validity with the real quality of the teams, but it is important for the perception of the program.  Next year even better.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Now.....you can't have Navy with 1 more win than Army, including a loss to Army, and still rank the middies 39 spots ahead of Army.

Rick

If they're taking into account the entire season, they probably gave some consideration to their late season injuries. Just a guess as to why...not that it has any real bearing on me or anything!

34 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What is our rank among G5s? That's what really matters for comparative reasons in polls like this.

I did this manually and left out BYU.  It was a bit difficult since the rankings in the link are bottom to top.  I get 31 out of 59:  If I missed something, I've got it in a table and can easily update. 

1   W. Mich
2   USF
3   San Diego St
4   Tulsa
5   Boise St
6   Navy
7   Houston
8   Air Force
9   Toledo
10   LaTech
11   Troy
12   Western KY
13   Temple
14   MTSU
15   Wyoming
16   App St.
17   Old Dominion
18   New Mexico
19   Memphis
20   Ark St
21   Army
22   UCF
23   Southern Miss
24   Idaho
25   Miami, OH
26   UTSA
27   S. Alabama
28   E. Mich
29   C. Mich
30   SMU
31   UNT
32   Akron
33   Ga Southern
34   La Lafayette
35   Hawaii
36   Tulane
37   Nevada
38   Ball St
39   Uconn
40   ECU
41   N. Illinois
42   Utah St
43   Charlotte
44   UNLV
45   FIU
46   La Monroe
47   FAU
48   Marshall
49   Bowling Green
50   Ga St
51   Kent St
52   San Jose St
53   UTEP
54   Umass
55   New Mexico St
56   Buffalo
57   Rice
58   Texas St
59   Fresno St
Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I did this manually and left out BYU.  It was a bit difficult since the rankings in the link are bottom to top.  I get 31 out of 59:  If I missed something, I've got it in a table and can easily update. 

1   W. Mich
2   USF
3   San Diego St
4   Tulsa
5   Boise St
6   Navy
7   Houston
8   Air Force
9   Toledo
10   LaTech
11   Troy
12   Western KY
13   Temple
14   MTSU
15   Wyoming
16   App St.
17   Old Dominion
18   New Mexico
19   Memphis
20   Ark St
21   Army
22   UCF
23   Southern Miss
24   Idaho
25   Miami, OH
26   UTSA
27   S. Alabama
28   E. Mich
29   C. Mich
30   SMU
31   UNT
32   Akron
33   Ga Southern
34   La Lafayette
35   Hawaii
36   Tulane
37   Nevada
38   Ball St
39   Uconn
40   ECU
41   N. Illinois
42   Utah St
43   Charlotte
44   UNLV
45   FIU
46   La Monroe
47   FAU
48   Marshall
49   Bowling Green
50   Ga St
51   Kent St
52   San Jose St
53   UTEP
54   Umass
55   New Mexico St
56   Buffalo
57   Rice
58   Texas St
59   Fresno St

Thanks, Oldguy!!

On January 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Now.....you can't have Navy with 1 more win than Army, including a loss to Army, and still rank the middies 39 spots ahead of Army.

Rick

I think you can. These rankings are for the complete season. Army beat Navy with Navy's 2 best players hurt. Navy had quality wins that Army couldn't match. 

I guess it depends on if you consider the ranking being fr the team on the field after the bowl game or for the complete body of work of said team.

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What is our rank among G5s? That's what really matters for comparative reasons in polls like this.

Sigh... It pains me to see our own fans  dumbing down expectations. There are no G5 rankings.

Thank God.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Sigh... It pains me to see our own fans  dumbing down expectations. There are no G5 rankings.

Thank God.

I get this - I often weep bitterly whenever a 3rd or 4th place network trumpets how they are performing with target demographics at certain times of day. Demand better, NBC, you stupid losers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People paid attention in the days when UNT was in the College Insider Mid-Major top 25.  I don't see much difference here.  G5 are our current peers, like it or not.  At the beginning of the season, we were at or very near dead last.  At the end of the season, we set the median.  That's measurable progress against like competition.  I don't think that means the end game aspirations, but it's a great tool to see how things are moving along in present day. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Measurable progress was making a bowl game, not some imaginary ranking. 

Just sayin...

I am pretty impressed at the lengths you'll go to make this an argument when everyone agrees. It's a rare gift. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4