JC PLAYERS OF INTEREST

djohnnie

12 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

are the programs recruiting different players with the new coaches here?

It's possible on offense that the two systems would require different kind of linemen (prostyle w/ spread vs spread). Maybe a different type of slot receiver. There's also so many kids out there to offer. Overall, though, should be targeting the same level of talent.

The thing is, UTSA has signed eight 3* players out of their total 24 while we have three out of a total of 13. On paper they're doing better recruiting, on average.

• Upvote 1

Seth Littrell on NSD if the class remains at this level:

"We don't put any stock in stars or recruiting service rankings. We want the best players that fit this system, and that is what we believe we have done with this class. We are very excited. Great things are happening at UNT!"

UTSA head coach:

"We are excited to have the highest ranked recruiting class in CUSA. The number of highly rated recruits shows this is a destination program, not a last option program. Great things are happening at UTSA!"

Oh, and if the classes were reversed, just reverse the speeches.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

It still has Javaris Steward as committed to UTSA. He was arrested and kicked of Ryan's team. Hard to imagine he still signs. He is a 4-star guy. 

I saw that as well.  I'm guessing they will do what they can to get him a 2nd chance through the legal process given his ability.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I saw that as well.  I'm guessing they will do what they can to get him a 2nd chance through the legal process given his ability.

I imagine so, but rehabbing dudes with armed robbery charges is risky. Basically, getting this dude into their program, rehabbing him, keeping him and putting him on the field as a productive dude has about a the same chance as a 2-star NT guy being a productive player with much more of the risk. So even though it bumps them a bit in the rankings, it doesn't move the needle with me. 

Armed Robbery is a different class of crime than underage drinking or even shop lifting.  It's personally, face to face, threatening to use deadly force to rob from someone.   

No thanks.  

23 hours ago, Aldo said:

The thing is, UTSA has signed eight 3* players out of their total 24 while we have three out of a total of 13. On paper they're doing better recruiting, on average.

This still have 8 3 stars, and we have less.   I would rather have more 3 stars.  

I like this signing for UTSA for one reason. I think it tells us which side Frank Wilson stands on when it comes to the cheat or go home discussion we had a few weeks ago on the football forum. He's going to take chances on guys with character issues and eventually it will bite them back. Maybe the'll experience good success for a few years, but eventually something will happen that takes down the program and all they'll have to hang their hats on are a few tainted years of success. As I type this, Baylor still stands at 1 commit for this class... 

I can't prove this, but I think I read his offer was pulled. There are 2 other players on the list who decommitted on the list as well. These recruiting lists are fan fun, but not totally reliable. Regarding SL and switching comments if the classes switched, I'm not sure. **SPOILER ALERT I ROOT FOR BOTH TEAMS, IF SOMEONE WHO ROOTS FOR UTSA PISSES YOU OFF STOP READING HERE! ** I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. SL is very well known for being a system guy and I totally believe him when he says that the guys that work well in the system might not be highly rated (stars are based on offers, if you run a system, I could see a lot of other programs not offering because of fit, not talent). Wilson not being a system coach I think would be less likely to say that.

Edited by UTSA Fan

3 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

I can't prove this, but I think I read his offer was pulled. There are 2 other players on the list who decommitted on the list as well. These recruiting lists are fan fun, but not totally reliable. Regarding SL and switching comments if the classes switched, I'm not sure. **SPOILER ALERT I ROOT FOR BOTH TEAMS, IF SOMEONE WHO ROOTS FOR UTSA PISSES YOU OFF STOP READING HERE! ** I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. SL is very well known for being a system guy and I totally believe him when he says that the guys that work well in the system might not be highly rated (stars are based on offers, if you run a system, I could see a lot of other programs not offering because of fit, not talent). Wilson not being a system coach I think would be less likely to say that.

He sure doesn't think so.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Armed Robbery is a different class of crime than underage drinking or even shop lifting.  It's personally, face to face, threatening to use deadly force to rob from someone.   

No thanks.  

This still have 8 3 stars, and we have less.   I would rather have more 3 stars.  

#wwbd

what would Briles do?

5 hours ago, aztecskin said:

If we kicked off Goree and Robinson for (presumably) less, I doubt SL is checking for this guy.

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No thanks.  

Thanks, I wasn't aware that was the charge, but I do agree, not worth the risk possibly. 

4 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

This is so true about the just finding guys for your system. Denver Broncos did it for years with late round RBs/undrafted.. Orr in Baltimore, or even New England with the ability to turn late round players into something. We bring in guys that produce for the system, it will lead to better recruits. 

14 hours ago, aztecskin said:

If we kicked off Goree and Robinson for (presumably) less, I doubt SL is checking for this guy.

Way less. 

Frank Wilson cares about 1 thing moving up as quickly as possible... Seth wants to build it right.  We shall see who is more successful. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Way less. 

Frank Wilson cares about 1 thing moving up as quickly as possible... Seth wants to build it right.  We shall see who is more successful. 

Yep. My presumption is whatever  Goree and Robinson did, given it wasn't  publicized. The armed robbery thing has been known for a while. 

Edited by aztecskin