Tempo Chopper down..

TheReal_jayD

• A female student-athlete informed her coach in April 2013 that the football players had sexually assaulted her a year earlier;
  • She provided the players' names to her coach;
  • The woman's coach shared details of the allegation and the football players' names to Briles, McCaw and assistant athletic director Thomas Hill;
  • None of them, including the woman's coach, informed judicial affairs officials of the allegation -- and that they have confirmed as much to the university over the course of the past year.

No thank you.

As a employee of the university every single one of them was compelled by policy to report this and they failed to do so.  A clear cause for termination.  

I don't think anyone is saying Briles should have been jailed, but terminated? Pretty clear failure of his duty to the assaulted student.  

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No thank you.

Yup I guess we will see. Still "they have confirmed as much" is very vague. Who is they? What did they confirm? 

I always think of Duke when things like this comes up. 

Still we have no idea what went on behind closed doors. 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

Yup I guess we will see. Still "they have confirmed as much" is very vague. Who is they? What did they confirm? 

This is nothing like Duke.  There are dozens of assaults.  Several of them have already lead to jail terms.  Shawn Oakman has been indicted, Tevin Elliot is serving 20 years, Sam Ukwuachu was convicted and jailed.  

There is a university wide problem, it's not just athletics.  However Briles was responsible for reporting things that came to him.  

Briles had a duty to report a GANG RAPE.  There is no record of him doing so.  Judicial Affairs is kinda picky about paperwork.   On top of that at least one coach and several administrators reported that Briles knew.    

He isn't a rapist, he isn't sexually assaulting someone, but he did fail to perform a duty that he was required to do.    No one is saying he should go to jail, but he was terminated for proper cause.  

40 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Uh, yes you should report a serious crime - especially one like rape - if you have knowledge of it. 

http://sc.edu/eop/titleixduties.shtml

I could be wrong and I am, I apologize.  But it is the HC duty to refer all complaints to this position so the proper channels are followed.  To my knowledge he didn't just that. 

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

So you have found him completely guilty

Good to hear. 

He isn't going to be found "guilty."  There will be no criminal trial.  He did nothing criminally wrong.  He failed to perform a duty he was required to perform and his employer decided to terminate him over it.

If he had appeared sorry for any of it, I think a lot of people would be willing to forgive him.

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

http://sc.edu/eop/titleixduties.shtml

I could be wrong and I am, I apologize.  But it is the HC duty to refer all complaints to this position so the proper channels are followed.  To my knowledge he didn't just that. 

I meant as a citizen, as a human being. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I really hope some of you don't have daughters.

I don't, however if I did I would want the full extent of the law thrown on someone If that happened.   I would also teach my daughter that if anything like this ever happened or she in any way felt violated to call the police first and me second. 

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He isn't going to be found "guilty."  There will be no criminal trial.  He did nothing criminally wrong.  He failed to perform a duty he was required to perform and his employer decided to terminate him over it.

If he had appeared sorry for any of it, I think a lot of people would be willing to forgive him.

I have heard otherwise is the problem, and I tend to think Baylor used him a sacrificial lamb with hopes to put this to bed as soon as possible. So I don't know the answer but I lean toward innocent until proven guilty. 

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I meant as a citizen, as a human being. 

I would want to no doubt, I am not a head coach and don't know what those job descriptions require.  If they were to report any accusation to law enforcement then he failed to do so, then he got what he deserved.  If they were to refer the complaint ant to title IX office and he did, then he did his job.  Did it make him feel any better? Probably not, but that was all I was trying to say.  Not agreeing with how it was handled or not handled just trying to bring that side to the table.  

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

I would want to no doubt, I am not a head coach and don't know what those job descriptions require.  If they were to report any accusation to law enforcement then he failed to do so, then he got what he deserved.  If they were to refer the complaint ant to title IX office and he did, then he did his job.  Did it make him feel any better? Probably not, but that was all I was trying to say.  Not agreeing with how it was handled or not handled just trying to bring that side to the table.  

My point is that when it comes to serious crimes, it should not matter what the internal processes are. Just report it. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

I have heard otherwise is the problem

If he had anything to prove otherwise he would have sued to clear his name and get every penny owed to him.  I think he is trying to play the the "I am a good person who made a mistake" game, which he might very well be, but he needs to own up to the mistake before he can expect people to forgive him.

2 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I tend to think Baylor used him a sacrificial lamb with hopes to put this to bed as soon as possible. 

I can agree to this.  The problem is that he was able to be used as that lamb because he had failed to perform his duty.  He was properly terminated.

4 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I lean toward innocent until proven guilty. 

Found guilty by who?  A court of law?  He's not charged with a crime.  He was ALREADY found guilty by his employer for violating policy and was terminated.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I feel the same.

He as the head coach, is responsible for his staff and his players actions. As the leader and face of the football team, he should have owned up to what happened, apologized, and promised if given the opportunity, he would have done everything possible to prevent something like that from happening again. Instead he has tried to distance himself while claiming no responsibility and has even stated that, "I’ve never done anything illegal, immoral, unethical.”  I'm sorry but that's just cowardly and not a trait that I want in my coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

My point is that when it comes to serious crimes, it should not matter what the internal processes are. Just report it. 

Exactly. And if their players were innocent, there's naught to be worried about.

It's the fact that Art Briles was unrepentant and showed no remorse for his non-action. It's despicable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If he had anything to prove otherwise he would have sued to clear his name and get every penny owed to him.  I think he is trying to play the the "I am a good person who made a mistake" game, which he might very well be, but he needs to own up to the mistake before he can expect people to forgive him.

I can agree to this.  The problem is that he was able to be used as that lamb because he had failed to perform his duty.  He was properly terminated.

Found guilty by who?  A court of law?  He's not charged with a crime.  He was ALREADY found guilty by his employer for violating policy and was terminated.  

Exactly no court of law, we don't know what happened and you have him as guilty. His employer just might have another agenda. 

I have no idea if he was in a position to sue or not, or if he was told it would not be to his benefit in the long run.

I don't know what he did I was not there. Given Baylor's History I see no reason why he would not do what was expected of him. 

And I give up beyond that. 

2 minutes ago, unt37 said:

I would take art briles here over littrel everyday of the millennium. Players are family. You look the other way for family.

Totally disagree here.  Looking the other way is wrong and if he did that I feel really dumb for semi-defending him.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Totally disagree here.  Looking the other way is wrong and if he did that I feel really dumb for semi-defending him.  

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Yup me too.

Would you turn your kids in? I wouldn't without a second thought.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, unt37 said:

Hopefully to clear the charges, as shown it will catch up with you anyway one way or another. To stay transparent. 

21 minutes ago, unt37 said:

I would take art briles here over littrel everyday of the millennium. Players are family. You look the other way for family.

I'll say it yet again. There have been some dumb posts on here in the past. VERY DUMB. But this one takes the cake. You don't look the other way to protect rapists. I would turn a family member in for rape without a 2nd thought. If this was a joke it was a shitty one. If it was serious then I wish you would start supporting another team.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

I'll say it yet again. There have been some dumb posts on here in the past. VERY DUMB. But this one takes the cake. You don't look the other way to protect rapists. I would turn a family member in for rape without a 2nd thought. If this was a joke it was a shitty one. If it was serious then I wish you would start supporting another team.

Not a joke I would never actively have my child go to prison. Regardless of what they have done. If it's like an uncle I never see, sure but they're not really family in the sense of what I'm getting at. As a coach you establish relationships with your players and have a strong bond with them much like father and son. I'm not saying what the players did wasn't wrong. It's just not easy in my mind to sit here and judge this guy for trying to protect what he sees as his family. Also knocking his actually kid who to the best of my knowledge hasn't been named in any of the investigations is just not cool.

• Downvote 7

2 hours ago, unt37 said:

For rape, and I knew without a doubt they were guilty?!?  I absolutely would, and I would testify against them in court.  I would still love them, but there is no way I would cover up something like that.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

For rape, and I knew without a doubt they were guilty?!?  I absolutely would, and I would testify against them in court.  I would still love them, but there is no way I would cover up something like that.

Ok I don't buy that, you would be actively putting your own blood through worse than what they have done (Prison isn't a joke. Make sure to tell your kid not to drop the soap for the next 20 years, along with being in there with those type of crimes especially if it's against a women or child might as well buy a casket because the kid you would have known for sure would be all but gone.) I doubt anyone on this board will have to go through something like this or has been through something like this so to just say "I would testify in court" is ridiculous. I understand why briles did what he did. In not agreeing with it but I'm Also not going to scorn him either. Good example of this type of situation although not exact is Jon benet in Colorado. 

• Downvote 6