Poor SMU

Marty

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

Yeah, that's not true.  But maybe you're doing a bit?

In all honestly, I've only been to one NFL game in my life, and that was quite some time ago, so I couldn't tell you if players stood or not.  

I did go to a whole bunch of baseball games, and players definitely stood there. 

Whether you believe Snopes to be valid or not is up to you, but it appears that prior to 2009, it wasn't required for teams to be on the field, but neither were they confined to the locker room.  It was up to team discretion.

I personally don't care.  I believe that pledging one's allegiance to a flag is as personal a matter as pledging one's devotion to a god.  Neither should be mandated by league, advertising dollars, or social pressure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

100% correct.

SMU ignominiously failed a little girl who's father was killed.

This was a terrible mistake by SMU. i suspect a lot of large donors are not happy about this and those donors know it's not the fault of an intern. Interns don't get to make decisions at that level. I don't know if heads will actually roll - probably not - but a number of folks are going to watched a lot more closely. 

By the way, a lot of places could make this same mistake!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

This was a terrible mistake by SMU. i suspect a lot of large donors are not happy about this and those donors know it's not the fault of an intern. Interns don't get to make decisions at that level. I don't know if heads will actually roll - probably not - but a number of folks are going to watched a lot more closely. 

Yes, but a lot of places didn't

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

In all honestly, I've only been to one NFL game in my life, and that was quite some time ago, so I couldn't tell you if players stood or not.  

I did go to a whole bunch of baseball games, and players definitely stood there. 

Whether you believe Snopes to be valid or not is up to you, but it appears that prior to 2009, it wasn't required for teams to be on the field, but neither were they confined to the locker room.  It was up to team discretion.

I personally don't care.  I believe that pledging one's allegiance to a flag is as personal a matter as pledging one's devotion to a god.  Neither should be mandated by league, advertising dollars, or social pressure. 

Oh, I'm not arguing or anything.  And it's quite possible that they weren't required or whatever, but football teams stood for the anthem all the time in the NFL.  Saw it many times on TV.  And yeah--if they don't want to stand, or whatever, then go on with their bad selves.  I don't think it's too much to show respect for the symbols of the country you live in--however imperfect--but AT THE END OF THE DAY it's a personal matter I guess.

Edited by LongJim

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, oldguystudent said:

I am cognizant that I'm treading on forbidden content here, so I hold no grudge if mods want to delete this.

NOBODY stood for the national anthem before 2009.  

Where did you find that info?  It is definitely incorrect...unless you are trying something like a bit here.  As a youngster...and I mean a youngster...and you know my age and how long ago my being a "youngster" would be...we have always stood for the national anthem at games...my junior high, my high school at UNT as an undergrad and back when we came to Denton to watch Abner play.

You are from California, right?  Maybe they did not stand in California, but they sure did in Texas and in Oklahoma (only two state where I have significant first hand experience).

I did not click on the link you supplied, so maybe you just drew me into a real bit.  If so, good for you.

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

This was no mistake. They knew what they were doing and it was intentional.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Pledging allegiance to the flag is simply a basic part of American citizenship.  Children born citizens learn it at a young age, and naturalized citizens are required to do that before they can become citizens.  But that aside, the whole "sit out the national anthem" has become something more than that.  They are very deliberately and purposefully drawing attention to themselves.  I have zero respect for someone who would take the occasion when thousands or millions of people are honoring our country and say, "No--I'm going to make this all about me."

Sorry for the hijack.  As far as disrespect toward police officers, I definitely agree that what SMU did was worse.

• Upvote 4