Red Zone Offense

Cerebus

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I believe we came in 24th in the nation in red zone scoring.  We were awful in the red zone today.  Despite being -4 on TOs we would have been right in this game if we could have scored TDs in the redzone.

The fumble at the one and the horrendous pass interference call really affected our red zone efficiency and the game. In my mind this could have easily been a tied ball game with UNT in line for a field goal to win it at the end. 

Next weeks game will be huge!

Overall we played a bad game. Yes, it doesn't help that we have up the ball a bunch but our defense got handled. Those two fumbles were terrible. I don't even understand how Fine's fumble happened. And fumbling at the goal line to end the half? And what was up with that time management too. Three timeouts with the ball at the one and a minute left and we get nothing!

They didn't show a replay of the pick play. Did anybody get a good look of it? I would love to see it again...

34 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Overall we played a bad game. Yes, it doesn't help that we have up the ball a bunch but our defense got handled. Those two fumbles were terrible. I don't even understand how Fine's fumble happened. And fumbling at the goal line to end the half? And what was up with that time management too. Three timeouts with the ball at the one and a minute left and we get nothing!

They didn't show a replay of the pick play. Did anybody get a good look of it? I would love to see it again...

Which pick? The silly throw into triple coverage when he could have thrown it away or the unmolested 5 yard pass that sailed over the RB's head into the waiting arms of the DB?

• Upvote 3

We must find a way to do something different if we're within a foot of the goal. Put in some version on the wildcat. Hell, put Wilson or Ivy under the center. Shotgun snaps to the 5 yard line when the ball is a foot or less away ??????

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

Which pick? The silly throw into triple coverage when he could have thrown it away or the unmolested 5 yard pass that sailed over the RB's head into the waiting arms of the DB?

No our td pass that was called back. Offensive pass interference because we ran a pick. You clearly watched the game. I don't know why that was so hard for you to figure out.

Like I said, i didn't see it. I'm going off of what the tv announcers said happened.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Downvote 2

This is just one of the limitations of the spread.  It isn't a complete offense.  I hope they incorporate a 10 play package with the quarterback taking snaps from under center.  Also I would like to see some pistol too with Wilson lined up directly behind Fine.  Maybe asking for both is too much but I would like to see one or the other.  Since Seth doesn't believe in tight ends I would assume the pistol formation would be easier to implement.

I see Buyers or Willie Ivory in that F position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

This is just one of the limitations of the spread.  It isn't a complete offense.  I hope they incorporate a 10 play package with the quarterback taking snaps from under center.  Also I would like to see some pistol too with Wilson lined up directly behind Fine.  Maybe asking for both is too much but I would like to see one or the other.  Since Seth doesn't believe in tight ends I would assume the pistol formation would be easier to implement.

I see Buyers or Willie Ivory in that F position.

If you put that in, you have to rep those packages. This offense is about executing a particular set of plays to perfection. The bigger issue is the limits of the talent and their experience than it is the place that they stand. As @Cerebus said, we were 24th in the nation in red zone scoring. We ran into a team that was better than us up front and we are not good enough (yet) to use some of the other aspects of the O in those situations (those fade passes, the botched rub route, the screen game that got 4, but not enough). 

Even if we lined up with more TEs, our Guards were getting beat and pushed back. Jeff Wilson was getting met in the backfield on the goal line stuff. 

Like I said on the podcast, the inability to run in those areas may have been more integral to the loss than the INTs. 

2 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Like I said on the podcast, the inability to run in those areas may have been more integral to the loss than the INTs. 

Agree.  There was a 3 series inside the twenty where we came away with 3 points instead of 21.  We where unable to pound the ball into the endzone.

We get those 18 points and we win

18 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We must find a way to do something different if we're within a foot of the goal. Put in some version on the wildcat. Hell, put Wilson or Ivy under the center. Shotgun snaps to the 5 yard line when the ball is a foot or less away ??????

Just a thought...could the reason be when your in the gun the back gets the ball sooner and has more time to read blocks?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Didnt like the call at the end of the half were we fumbled. I wish we would of done a QB sneak or FB Dive and let the RB help push them in.

With our 170 lb qb?   I would prefer to see some type of read there by Fine with the ability to pull the ball and throw it if the run isn't there.  I was ok with giving Wilson shots there.  

Just now, GMG24 said:

With our 170 lb qb?   I would prefer to see some type of read there by Fine with the ability to pull the ball and throw it if the run isn't there.  I was ok with giving Wilson shots there.  

QB roll out with the run/pass option.

I dont disagree with the play call. Our lack of success on running between the tackles is depressing

• Upvote 1

Just now, Withers940 said:

QB roll out with the run/pass option.

I dont disagree with the play call. Our lack of success on running between the tackles is depressing

We were down Garrett Gunter which hurts.

Down 17 at the start of the 4th, 3rd and goal....we run a draw.  ut-sa is in a 4-3, they roll the outside lb up so basically in a 5-2.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

We run a draw and its stuffed by the LB from Lake Dallas. As much as I would have liked to have seen us throw into the endzone there I feel it was the right call.  Unfortunately we end up trying to block 7 with 4 because one guy misses his assignment.  

Gotta get these things corrected.

Rick

22 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I believe we came in 24th in the nation in red zone scoring.  We were awful in the red zone today.  Despite being -4 on TOs we would have been right in this game if we could have scored TDs in the redzone.

To put Fine under center at 170 is a waste! Now Alec at 6'3" 225 may be something?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Sneak possibility non existent! With 7 in the box !  I would also be concerned with the exchange with a couple of 280 guys 2ft away! Shot gun with naked bootleg could be an option! 

A sneak isn't the only option under center.  Play action pass, counters, misdirection and option.

Rick 

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

A sneak isn't the only option under center.  Play action pass, counters, misdirection and option.

Rick 

Yep, but we were running the ball and handing off 3 yards from scrimmage! If you are going to try to bang it in having a sneak as on option helps in the other areas! Quick pitch or hand off! GMG 

Don't understand saying we put Alec in for a qb sneak. Goal line. Offense subs out their qb for a bigger qb that they haven't played since the second game of the season. He's not in there to throw the ball. Kind of limits of the playbook to a running play of some sort. Seems like an easy read if the opposing staff has done all of their homework. Our offensive line just isn't good enough pound it at will. We just need to get creative but I don't think qb sneak with Alec is the answer.

Both QBs bring things to the table the other doesn't. You roll with Fine so you have to get creative in those situations.

Edited by GMG_Dallas