Army and the 3-4-4 "D"

Wag Tag

It's 3-3-5 and it'll be modified given the opponent as it always is. It's the beauty of the 3-3-5, it's just base but it never reads or looks like such. I think our interior Dlinemen will be key. Young, Moore and Taaulo will all 3 have to cone to play will a health rotation. Stop the fb dive in this offense and it's much easier to contain. Easier said than done. Hopefully that little slight torward the trip option that Littrell threw out in his intoductory press conference doesn't bite him in the butt. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't forget Hood.  He will be a big key in slowing down the Cadets.

Yes, and Hood. My mistake. He could be a tremendous help in a game of this nature. Gotta stop that fb dive first and foremost. 

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That wasn't a slight at the triple option. It was a joke because it's the polar opposite of the offense he actually runs.

It was a calculated joke because the amount of people interested in Fritz and his offense before Littrell came into the picture. 

• Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's 3-3-5 and it'll be modified given the opponent as it always is. It's the beauty of the 3-3-5, it's just base but it never reads or looks like such. I think our interior Dlinemen will be key. Young, Moore and Taaulo will all 3 have to cone to play will a health rotation. Stop the fb dive in this offense and it's much easier to contain. Easier said than done. Hopefully that little slight torward the trip option that Littrell threw out in his intoductory press conference doesn't bite him in the butt. 

They are averaging passing yards I think is below 70yds! That is why I would say more of a 3-4-4?  I think we can definatly fill the box ! GMG 

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

They are averaging passing yards I think is below 70yds! That is why I would say more of a 3-4-4?  I think we can definatly fill the box ! GMG 

We'll show more of a 4-4 base from the naked eye. They'll definitely should and probably will have 8 in the box a ton. 

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

It wasn't Fritz's offense. Georgia Southern has run an option offense for a while now. Fritz ran a spread at SHSU

I believe he ran a spread option while at SHSU, right? 

• Upvote 1

I hope the extra week improves our ability to defend the option.  Rice was running a basic option (no fullback) against us and they seemed to pick up yards each time they ran it.  We will have to improve a lot in order to slow them down.  The one on one tackling in space will have to improve and we can't over pursue.

It should be entertaining to watch.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I would be willing to bet you see 4 down lineman from us, or a 5 man front with the OLB walked up, and a TON of man coverage that allows the safeties to run free. 

• Upvote 2

An odd front is actually tougher on the triple option than an even front.  A nose keeps  Army from running the midline.

The biggest question is whether they will have 3 in the secondary or 4.  We have been playing more of a "50" front the last few weeks.

I am curious to see if we will continue with that.  It would be easy to play under 4's with the tackles and funnel everything to the LB's and secondary.

I am confident that we will be able to stop them, especially with 2 weeks to prepare.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

An odd front is actually tougher on the triple option than an even front.  A nose keeps  Army from running the midline.

The biggest question is whether they will have 3 in the secondary or 4.  We have been playing more of a "50" front the last few weeks.

I am curious to see if we will continue with that.  It would be easy to play under 4's with the tackles and funnel everything to the LB's and secondary.

I am confident that we will be able to stop them, especially with 2 weeks to prepare.

I tend to agree. 

22 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I was thinking same thing, with taking Midline away, I'm interested to see how we play it. Any idea if this game will be televised?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes, and Hood. My mistake. He could be a tremendous help in a game of this nature. Gotta stop that fb dive first and foremost. 

It was a calculated joke because the amount of people interested in Fritz and his offense before Littrell came into the picture. 

Do you really think Seth would make a joke like that at in introductory press conference especially considering the other finalist for the job (that we know of) was another spread offensive coach and it was well known we were looking for that type of coach?  Why would Seth even care who else was considered?  I think there's a 1% chance you are right and a 99% chance Seth was simply joking about the triple option because it's the exact opposite of his type of offense.  No calculation by Seth but simply a joke. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Do you really think Seth would make a joke like that at in introductory press conference especially considering the other finalist for the job (that we know of) was another spread offensive coach and it was well known we were looking for that type of coach?  Why would Seth even care who else was considered?  I think there's a 1% chance you are right and a 99% chance Seth was simply joking about the triple option because it's the exact opposite of his type of offense.  No calculation by Seth but simply a joke. 

I think it's a possibility. I think you're probably right, but I wouldn't rule out the other either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3