OU President Now Against Expansion

Cerebus

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't feel like arguing this any further after this post. I feel like those responding against UH having value are acting out of bias and not looking at the facts.

Regarding northern Illinois, they never had a recruiting class during their run like Houston has had recently.

Regarding prolonged success, since 2006, Houston has had:

- four 10+ win seasons, two of which were 13 win seasons

- four 8 win seasons

- two losing seasons, both of which were 5-7 years.

That's the worst they could get. 5-7. While putting two coaches in the big 12, one now in the SEC.

Not as good as TCU had during their stretch but certainly a good stretch. And with their recruiting classes, they Will experience continued success.

No bias here.  Just remembering a time when UH and UNT had nearly identical attendance averages.  They have always struggled with attendance, which translates to tv ratings shares, etc.  They are obviously on the right course, but TCU hit the peak of their rise exactly at the right time---when the Big 12 was shedding members and reacting to it.  At this point, they've been standing pat with 10 members for a few years.  They aren't panicking and nothing is forcing them to expand.  Put them in that spot again, and UH is still doing what they are doing now, they get it.

I think for the Big 12 to expand, they are going to have to miss out on the playoffs a couple years in a row, lose more members, or have one of these G5s just slam down their door with over the top success.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cougar King said:

The Big 12 would cut off its nose to spite its face. Nothing would surprise me either way. There's a reason why I've bought into the hype. 

The problem is they enjoy being elitist pricks. OU is just one university. Hopefully they aren't the sole voice.

I was driving today and they were talking about several politicians in Oklahoma are fed up with this guy. Personally I think many P5 schools are afraid what they see as upstarts will start giving them annual beat downs on the field and recruiting trail. So, for now they are playing political games.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not as good as TCU had during their stretch but certainly a good stretch. And with their recruiting classes, they Will experience continued success.

Great detailed analysis and simple summary in that post sir.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Big 12 laughing at the world.  All that exposure attention. 17+ schools bowing down to the Big 12 altar for months.  

Feel bad for Houston.

The truth is, the small percentage increase of landing a playoff spot through adding two teams does not override the recruiting hit in the minds of the lessor Big 12 schools.  

Simply put --They are scared of Houston.

I think it is more about they a "scared" of dividing up a shrinking financial pie that UH doesn't grow.  There is only one team in America that is not P5 already that will "grow the pie immediately" or offset the financial effect of people cutting the cord.  That is Notre Dame.  If was the mid or late 1990s and Houston was on a roll like this with the playoff system in place it would be a no brainer for the fake Big 12 to actually try to live up to that number by adding Houston and one other team.  If I were in the Big 12 offices I would be pushing for a swap of West Virginia in favor of Houston or  BYU.  And I don't see why their television partners would blink at the move.  It isn't like WVU is a national brand or has huge interest in a major media market.  And you could say some hardship on your student athletes by reducing travel time ( but who am I kidding most of these jerks don't give a crap about non-revenue sports and to be clear even Men's Basketball isn't a revenue sport at all but the top 15 basketball schools). 

But let get move this discussion to G5 UNT in a hypothetical.  Would you want UNT to be a P5 conference doormat like Kansas or Iowa State.  (I know they had one or 2 good years over the last 10 but the vast majority of the time  they don't go to bowl games and that isn't mediocre in a P5 conference that is  bad) Or would be rather UNT be a decent G5 team with winning records or at  least .500 every year and bowl game appearances 2 out of every 5 years?  I ask cause I think the possibility of Houston being a Big 12 threat is equally plausible as  they might end up being a poor man's Texas Tech in the Big 12.  And that would be horrible in my opinion.

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I think one day UT & OU leave the Big 12 for similar reasons Arkansas left the old SWC & TAMU the Big 12.  

Arkansas and A$M left because UT is a tough conference mate to put up with.

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Quick, someone take all sharp objects away from cougarqueen.

Or find all that you can and send them to cougarqueen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

From the beginning, when you look at what school adds at least as much value as they would take in a share of the revenues the closest was BYU. No one else was even close, including UH. Now, I think after a few years whom ever is added would grow to the point they would contribute but right now any adds cut the pie more ways without growing it enough to keep all the slices the same size. 

I remember reading the study that started this all showed in it's current form the Big XII had a 60% chance of a team in the playoffs in any given year. IIRC, no team add raised it to more than 65% and any combination of four teams actually reduced it below the 60%. 

The networks have made it clear that they don't want to pay for G5 teams to join the Big XII. Boren wanted BYU, but politics killed that. Without BYU, the networks don't want any AAC or MWC team to move upward.

UH needs to be on the phones ASAP with the PAC and ACC. Sell them on the fact that Texas has the LHN and a massive ego that tears apart conferences. If you want the Texas TV market for your conference networks, then call us and we are good to go. They can offer all of this is one easy swoop.

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

UH needs to be on the phones ASAP with the PAC and ACC. Sell them on the fact that Texas has the LHN and a massive ego that tears apart conferences. If you want the Texas TV market for your conference networks, then call us and we are good to go. They can offer all of this is one easy swoop.

B12 GOR is in place till 2024-25, the league will stay together until then.  With a lot of hard work, increased funding, and a good amount of luck, there is no reason NT couldn't be at the level UH is at.  

NT could more or less echo the same sale-pitch.