Good bit for Rice band to do

kj86

I came up with this funny idea for the Rice band.

They roll out two guys on crutches...one with an SMU jersey and another with a Gator jersey.  The band forms the number 18 (Wheeler's number) and they play "Do you really want to hurt me."

I wouldn't be offended.  I would LMFAO.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, kj86 said:

They roll out two guys on crutches...one with an SMU jersey and another with a Gator jersey.  The band forms the number 18 (Wheeler's number) and they play "Do you really want to hurt me."

I was wondering what topic they'd hit on. This one did come to mind.  Hopefully they come up with something original and don't recycle an old bit. 

• Upvote 1

While I have developed a hatred for the ignorance and social media blitz initiated by that moron coach for florida...and followed brainlessly by the florida moron fans(for those Florida fans that actually fought through the false targeting history and could actually see the trip and the accidental nature of the florida injury, I'm sorry for your vocal minority causing you to be lumped in with them),

I'm not a fan of making light of injury...  even if it is satire...  I believe the last time I remember the mob aiming their guns at UNT, it was to say that our degrees qualified us to ask "do you want fries with that?"

mob, funny sometimes...  sometimes not.  meh overall.

Fake poll question of the day, how about the mob's contribution to pageantry?  How does everybody feel about that?  Does that contribute to a great game day atmosphere?  Do you think that this added value contributes towards a winning program and should we ask the Green Brigade to add this to their repertoire?  I think it would add at least 2 home wins a year.  What do you think?  I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SHOSS said:

While I have developed a hatred for the ignorance and social media blitz initiated by that moron coach for florida...and followed brainlessly by the florida moron fans(for those Florida fans that actually fought through the false targeting history and could actually see the trip and the accidental nature of the florida injury, I'm sorry for your vocal minority causing you to be lumped in with them),

I'm not a fan of making light of injury...  even if it is satire...  I believe the last time I remember the mob aiming their guns at UNT, it was to say that our degrees qualified us to ask "do you want fries with that?"

mob, funny sometimes...  sometimes not.  meh overall.

Fake poll question of the day, how about the mob's contribution to pageantry?  How does everybody feel about that?  Does that contribute to a great game day atmosphere?  Do you think that this added value contributes towards a winning program and should we ask the Green Brigade to add this to their repertoire?  I think it would add at least 2 home wins a year.  What do you think?  I'll hang up and listen.

The MOB is a bunch of rag-tag students with no authority over them.  There is no value in what they're doing other than their own entertainment, really.

As for the Green Brigade...  many of the students in the GB are going into Music Ed as their profession.  In that field, they will be responsible for directing their school's marching band.    As much as many of you dislike the style of marching, the style the GB uses is the same that most High Schools in Texas march.  Honestly, I don't know why some of you old guys (looking at you SilverEagle) really like when a band marches back and forth in lines across the whole field, or simply spells something... to me that's boring, but you call that "pageantry".  
Being in the Green Brigade is a chance for these students to gain knowledge and practice (you know, be educated) for their future careers.   They are not marching/performing solely for our entertainment.

And I know not all of them are Music Ed majors.  Many of them play because they enjoy it.  And that's fantastic.

Their "pageantry" is fine, and their skill is outstanding.   Sit back, relax, and enjoy "The Best Band in the Land".

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The MOB is a bunch of rag-tag students with no authority over them.  There is no value in what they're doing other than their own entertainment, really.

As for the Green Brigade...  many of the students in the GB are going into Music Ed as their profession.  In that field, they will be responsible for directing their school's marching band.    As much as many of you dislike the style of marching, the style the GB uses is the same that most High Schools in Texas march.  Honestly, I don't know why some of you old guys (looking at you SilverEagle) really like when a band marches back and forth in lines across the whole field, or simply spells something... to me that's boring, but you call that "pageantry".  
Being in the Green Brigade is a chance for these students to gain knowledge and practice (you know, be educated) for their future careers.   They are not marching/performing solely for our entertainment.

And I know not all of them are Music Ed majors.  Many of them play because they enjoy it.  And that's fantastic.

Their "pageantry" is fine, and their skill is outstanding.   Sit back, relax, and enjoy "The Best Band in the Land".

I have never had an issue with the GB's halftime show, it is the pregame that needs a lot of work.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have never had an issue with the GB's halftime show, it is the pregame that needs a lot of work.

Fair enough...  I suppose I don't have much of an issue with pregame either.  It's likely just a difference of opinion.   But I see them go out on the field in a position to welcome the players onto the field and play music (and this season, used some of this time to try and educate the fans on cheers) until the players come out.

I see lots of mentions of Ohio State 'dotting the I' and the Aggies marching back and forth across the field crossing over lines and stuff... that, to me, doesn't move the needle.  Maybe with you older guys, it's amazing.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

apologies...  I was being sarcastic about pageantry, which may not have translated very well in my post.  I started at UNT as a music ed drummer in fall of 1994 and came out of UNT with a computer science degree and minors in business administration and music...  only thing I would change with the Green Brigade would be featuring the drumline a bit more, but I'm biased on that front.  Everything else is awesome about our band. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fair enough...  I suppose I don't have much of an issue with pregame either.  It's likely just a difference of opinion.   But I see them go out on the field in a position to welcome the players onto the field and play music (and this season, used some of this time to try and educate the fans on cheers) until the players come out.

I see lots of mentions of Ohio State 'dotting the I' and the Aggies marching back and forth across the field crossing over lines and stuff... that, to me, doesn't move the needle.  Maybe with you older guys, it's amazing.

My only real complaint on the pregame is how they enter the field.  They just kind of stroll out and find their spot.  I would like to see an organized march on to the field.  I also hate the t-shirt and short look.  It is better than the past in that they all match, but I watch other schools in hot, humid, southern stadiums and their band is always in uniform.  We should do the same.  When I was a kid they always were in uniform and the materials used back then had to be brutally hot compared to what is available now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

100% agree.  Halftime is very good.  Pregame is very bad.  This is where the new AD needs to get involved.  Let the GB have the halftime show, but lets get them more in tuned to hyping up the crowd before the game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SHOSS said:

I started at UNT as a music ed drummer in fall of 1994 and came out of UNT with a computer science degree and minors in business administration and music...

Just change 1994 to 1979, and that's my story as well!  Although, I changed my major to CSCI pretty late in the game, so I only had a minor in music - which had more hours than my major.

3 hours ago, kj86 said:

Yeah, making fun of an injury and antagonizing an already bad situation for  Wheeler really would be hilarious.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Stix said:

Just change 1994 to 1979, and that's my story as well!  Although, I changed my major to CSCI pretty late in the game, so I only had a minor in music - which had more hours than my major.

Weird.  I also have my degree in CSCI with a minor in Music.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

I wish the GB would not play "Hey Baby" before the start of the 3rd qtr, or any other time, if we're losing.  this very good song says to me, "life is good and everything is going my way." 

I also wish they would not play the "Om pa pa" version of the fight song.  This, to me, makes fun of our fight song. 

And, finally, the start, stop, start, stop, start, play for a little while, stop, of "Fly like an eagle."  I don't know what to be accomplished by this.  Ifs the GB is there to add to the home field advantage or for their own amusement ? 

I tried contacting Mr (Dr ?) Williams some time ago.  He would never return my call or text.

GO MEAN GREEN

PS.....I don't see why quality music couldn't be accompanied some quality showmanship.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I wish the GB would not play "Hey Baby" before the start of the 3rd qtr, or any other time, if we're losing.  this very good song says to me, "life is good and everything is going my way." 

I also wish they would not play the "Om pa pa" version of the fight song.  This, to me, makes fun of our fight song. 

And, finally, the start, stop, start, stop, start, play for a little while, stop, of "Fly like an eagle."  I don't know what to be accomplished by this.  Ifs the GB is there to add to the home field advantage or for their own amusement ? 

I tried contacting Mr (Dr ?) Williams some time ago.  He would never return my call or text.

GO MEAN GREEN

PS.....I don't see why quality music couldn't be accompanied some quality showmanship.

How close is Dr. Williams to retirement?  He looks relatively young, but I understand he's tenured. 

Nick%201d%20Sept%202015b.jpg

Nothing against the guy, but seems like some freshness would do the Green Brigade some good.   

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

How close is Dr. Williams to retirement?  He looks relatively young, but I understand he's tenured. 

Nick%201d%20Sept%202015b.jpg

Nothing against the guy, but seems like some freshness would do the Green Brigade some good.   

so, he was my RA when I lived in Kerr Hall...  I believe fall of 1995 and spring of 1996.  If memory serves....    I have killed a ton of brain cells since then.

Sat next to the GB when we played at UH 3 or 4 years ago (I think that's when it was).  Anyway, this guy Williams is pretty funny.  Some of the stuff he said through his PA to the band was cracking me up.  Wish he would get the GB involved in some bits or something that could be entertaining to everyone.