WR Separation

greenminer

Simplest form - getting a step on a db.  It can happen several ways - it can schemed (NE Patriots), it can come from pure speed (Desean Jackson) , it can come from great route running (Antonio Brown) or it can come from big physical wr's (Calivin Johnson). It gives the qb a little room for error and/or confidence, if he puts the ball in a certain area to his wr's, they'll be there to make a play.

• Upvote 5

In the FU game, the DBs knew that the QB was only getting about 2 seconds to throw the ball so they were not worried about getting beat deep. With this in mind, they simply played press coverage and most of our WRs were not physical enough to shed the DB. This is why pretty much only Thaddeous was able to get open. He is apparently our most physical receiver. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

What does this really mean, beyond the up front obvious, and why is it brought up so much? Were we terrible or good at it in Chico's offense, or is it just extremely important in Seth's offense?

What has been said plus we were not good at it in Chico's offense either.

• Guys aren't beating their defenders off the line (there are a repertoire of moves that receiver should have, otherwise the DB picks up on the one move and just sits on it)
  • Guys aren't fast enough, or are being forced to the boundary
  • Guys aren't creative enough in their route running to deceive DBs
  • Guys aren't getting out of their breaks fast enough. This limits the amount of separation you're supposed to get, if say you run a drag or shallow cross
  • As has been said, Thaddeous is a physical receiver, and on top of that has he's got a repertoire of moves, and is a good route runner. Additionally, as a Y receiver, he has routes designed to attack soft zones behind the LBs and in front of safeties over the middle of the field.

This should change once we get into conference play.

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Aldo said:

What has been said plus we were not good at it in Chico's offense either.

• Guys aren't beating their defenders off the line (there are a repertoire of moves that receiver should have, otherwise the DB picks up on the one move and just sits on it)
  • Guys aren't fast enough, or are being forced to the boundary
  • Guys aren't creative enough in their route running to deceive DBs
  • Guys aren't getting out of their breaks fast enough. This limits the amount of separation you're supposed to get, if say you run a drag or shallow cross
  • As has been said, Thaddeous is a physical receiver, and on top of that has he's got a repertoire of moves, and is a good route runner. Additionally, as a Y receiver, he has routes designed to attack soft zones behind the LBs and in front of safeties over the middle of the field.

This should change once we get into conference play.

Dear God I hope so. Florida's defense is salty, but our WR's haven't exactly been lighting it up against the other teams either

Edited by MGNation92

18 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Dear God I hope so. Florida's defense is salty, but they haven't exactly been lighting it up against the other teams either

They've allowed 14 points and 389 yards total (3 games).

I think you and I have different ideas about good defense.

Edited by greenminer

11 hours ago, GMoney said:

Simplest form - getting a step on a db.  It can happen several ways - it can schemed (NE Patriots), it can come from pure speed (Desean Jackson) , it can come from great route running (Antonio Brown) or it can come from big physical wr's (Calivin Johnson). It gives the qb a little room for error and/or confidence, if he puts the ball in a certain area to his wr's, they'll be there to make a play.

Scheme Scheme Scheme... I still think quick slants. GMG 

27 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Their defense is likely top 5 in the nation.

11 minutes ago, greenminer said:

They've allowed 14 points and 389 yards total (3 games).

I think you and I have different ideas about good defense.

He is saying OUR OFFENSE hasn't been lighting it up against other offenses.  Second part of the sentence isn't referring to Florida's defense.