Introducing Chad Davis UNT CB

GOMG2013

53 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

I can honestly say that I have never talked smack about Chad Davis. Must be the rest of you MFers.

Not smack talk, but some subtle disrespect.  He's been rumored to have his spot taken 3 times and whoever is responsible for the analysis on mg nation, they are horrible.  I let the weak madden numbers slide last year.  Especially the speed of Davis and marshall, but how in the world can davis have the lowest man to man coverage out of the whole secondary, when everyone else was beaten more? I'm not understanding that logic.  The player that did his job and looked like a solid D1 player is the one that doesnt get props, but others that played below average D1 ball gets the assumption they will improve.

Based on the years of football I have seen, players rarely go from below average to good.  I don't care what the circumstances are.  Many expect Nate to show up in 2016 and play shut down corner, and that is irresponsible, not fair, and shows a horrible football IQ.  I think nate is going to get drafted and I consider that one of the best compliments a player can get.  But nate, due to being thrown in the fire, was a below average D1 corner last season.  His next step is to become a solid D1 starter that does not get picked on. I predict an averge season.  Next year good, senior year all conference.

Davis should go from average to good.  If the team wins and the defense plays well, he could sneak in an honorable mention spot.  He should get more chances with the new defense and an improved nate on the other side.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, StealthEagle84 said:

What I see is a disciplined football player that not only knows his assignment but executes it.  He's not always looking to make the play (i.e. make the tackle) but knows his what his role is on the play and makes it happen so someone else can make the play.  

The run support used to be a weakness coming out of high school in my opinion.  That is why he didn't get on the field earlier as a freshman and why he only came in on 3rd downs as a soph.

I guess he got something out of playing in that defensive scheme.  If he ever gets a chance on the next level, the work in the run game will have paid off.

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I agree. I watched the film this summer and he was our most consistent coverage man. LBs got beat a lot, and Gray was beat plenty as well, plus the freshmen. Critically, Davis did struggle against Mike Thomas at Southern Miss, but he was an all-CUSA guy and drafted so everyone did both on our team and other teams. Other than that no one really looked like they had any substantial advantage over Davis. Glad we have him back.

My criticism is kinda what you pointed out last year.  I would like to see better ball skills. He was in position a few times for an easy INT, but he was too worried about the man and pushing him out of the way, and drew 2 unessesary flags.  He already had position, no need for the extra push. Trust your skills and go get the ball.

I think Chad Davis is great. i also think he is most likely to be drafted of anyone coming out this year if he has a good year. If Nate Brooks plays on Chad's level and Chad has improved, i feel really good about our Defense against outside receivers cause our safeties are pretty good as well. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, golfingomez said:

im really confused at to who is talking trash about Davis...

Who said talking trash?  The op states bad analysis.  The sad part is, trash talking on a forum would be much better than bad analysis by a so called unt football analyst that comes off as if they know football and watched film.

One could say, who cares about someone's opinion and predictions? Well for a program like UNT, there's not much out there. There are several publications that depend on Vito for their UNT info and that is scary.  Who knows what else may come up in google. A Web page, a podcast... No one really cares about the fans and posters that have been misled.  Thats not as big a deal.  

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

My criticism is kinda what you pointed out last year.  I would like to see better ball skills. He was in position a few times for an easy INT, but he was too worried about the man and pushing him out of the way, and drew 2 unessesary flags.  He already had position, no need for the extra push. Trust your skills and go get the ball.

Coaching? Question no answer.  Also I am really curious who you keep referencing as analyzing him and making those critiques?  I haven't seen it anywhere but I also don't read a lot of those sites. 

54 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Coaching? Question no answer.  Also I am really curious who you keep referencing as analyzing him and making those critiques?  I haven't seen it anywhere but I also don't read a lot of those sites. 

Well, when someone says a guy that has never played a down of D1 football is coming to take your spot, that's a blatant diss in the sports world.  It says a lot.  Mainly that you were a weak link, you did not do your job, and for a 1-11 team, you don't belong on a D1 football field.

I guess yall don't read vito or listen to the podcasts, or read the other mean green stuff...

And let's not pretend Vito didn't have a bunch of fans thinking jamal marshall was going to be the next Richard sherman on here. And now peole are expecting nate to be all cusa.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't remember reading criticism of Davis.  Isn't he coming off an offseason injury for the second year in a row?  Maybe we're confusing questioning his ability with questioning if he'll be back at full health?  I remember Davis being one of our higher rated recruits once upon a time and looking forward to seeing him mature as a player.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't remember reading criticism of Davis.  Isn't he coming off an offseason injury for the second year in a row?  Maybe we're confusing questioning his ability with questioning if he'll be back at full health?  I remember Davis being one of our higher rated recruits once upon a time and looking forward to seeing him mature as a player.

Once again. It's bad analysis.  Not negative or hurtful comments.  Not criticism.   Even though I would prefer criticism because at least a reason may be stated.

Example:  Feb vito had his rankings of top 25 unt players.  Davis came in at 17.  Not a comment, but it says a lot.   From a 1-11 team, he's the 17th best player?  If we have 16 players that do their job as good as Chad did his in 2015, we would go bowling without a doubt.  Even if all 16 are AVERAGE.  Nate was at 18.

Vito reranked them in may, Davis rose to 12.  I guess he had time to watch film.  Oh, Nate rose to 8.  Cant be film then...must be going off Spring?  So nate was crowned the top corner by Vito...and vito has actually wrote it a few times.  And some people bought it by some of the comments.  Ok, cool.  You think nate is going to have a big year.  No need to hate.  Both will benefit.

It didn't end.  When the JUCOs are discussed, chad's spot has been mentioned a few times.  And that was before his injury was known.  Somebody on the podcast said he would get phased out and I think aztec, to sum it up was like chad davis...meh...replaceable

I'm not caring about opinions.  I just had to be responsible and give people better information and let them see for themselves.  If that video shows our 17th or even 12th best player and our second best cornerback, and our 3rd best man to man cover, then we are in for a HUGE season.

25 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

Aren't they both starting?

Yeah Chad davis hung on to his spot...

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Once again. It's bad analysis.  Not negative or hurtful comments.  Not criticism.   Even though I would prefer criticism because at least a reason may be stated.

Example:  Feb vito had his rankings of top 25 unt players.  Davis came in at 17.  Not a comment, but it says a lot.   From a 1-11 team, he's the 17th best player?  If we have 16 players that do their job as good as Chad did his in 2015, we would go bowling without a doubt.  Even if all 16 are AVERAGE.  Nate was at 18.

Vito reranked them in may, Davis rose to 12.  I guess he had time to watch film.  Oh, Nate rose to 8.  Cant be film then...must be going off Spring?  So nate was crowned the top corner by Vito...and vito has actually wrote it a few times.  And some people bought it by some of the comments.  Ok, cool.  You think nate is going to have a big year.  No need to hate.  Both will benefit.

It didn't end.  When the JUCOs are discussed, chad's spot has been mentioned a few times.  And that was before his injury was known.  Somebody on the podcast said he would get phased out and I think aztec, to sum it up was like chad davis...meh...replaceable

I'm not caring about opinions.  I just had to be responsible and give people better information and let them see for themselves.  If that video shows our 17th or even 12th best player and our second best cornerback, and our 3rd best man to man cover, then we are in for a HUGE season.

Yeah Chad davis hung on to his spot...

I don't think he said replaceable, I think he said he wasn't challenged much. We had freshman corners and Whitfield on the other side of the ball. OC's knew who they wanted to attack. 

Chad has just been one of those guys whose flown under the radar. He's had some injuries that have set him back. He hasnt made a ton of plays on the field, because he hasn't been attacked a lot. I dont believe, but I could be wrong, he hasnt been singled out by opposing coaches as someone that they have to avoid.He hast drawn attention from NFL scouts. He wasnt listed in the CUSA Spring prospectus as being a candidate for All Conference (Capper's fault). 

The talent around Davis has risen a lot from last year. He was challenged and hung on to his spot good for him. I hope he stays healthy and has a big year. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I don't think he said replaceable, I think he said he wasn't challenged much. We had freshman corners and Whitfield on the other side of the ball. OC's knew who they wanted to attack. 

Chad has just been one of those guys whose flown under the radar. He's had some injuries that have set him back. He hasnt made a ton of plays on the field, because he hasn't been attacked a lot. I dont believe, but I could be wrong, he hasnt been singled out by opposing coaches as someone that they have to avoid.He hast drawn attention from NFL scouts. He wasnt listed in the CUSA Spring prospectus as being a candidate for All Conference (Capper's fault). 

The talent around Davis has risen a lot from last year. He was challenged and hung on to his spot good for him. I hope he stays healthy and has a big year. 

Chad's accomplishments were minimized.  There was also a discussion in a post. Pretty much said he didn't give up much, but it had nothing to do with his talent, it was due to us having Whit and a freshman corner getting picked on.  The same freshman corner that is all of a sudden considered better and a lock at his corner but chad isnt?  Make up your mind.  To add to this nonsense, teams are all of a sudden going to forget about picking on nate? Or do you think they will listen to the UNT analysts and say, I heard he had a nice Spring and fall camp...

Explain that logic and analysis.  A spring and fall camp vs UNT 2nd team carries more weight than what actually happened in real football?  So the weak player that prevented Chad from getting passes is all of a sudden all world without playing real football.

Another reason you just put above, Chad hasn't made a ton of plays...Who has?  Highlights show at least 3 big plays. Add some PBUs in the redzone...TFLs, sack...not understanding what you mean. Especially compared to the rest of the team.  I wish all 11 made the plays he made.  Have you actually watched film?  While sober?

So let's also apply the same logic that gives nate a pass to when Chad was thrown in the fire at corner.  He didn't start, but he was thrown out there on passing downs.  Did he get beat?  Chad didn't get the man crush nate is getting now.  They knew Chad was out there. They threw at James Jones and Buyers. Chad didn't get any props from the "analysts"  And he played his soph season on a torn up knee.  

Injuries did not hold chad back.  He hasn't missed a game due to injury.  He got medicated and sucked it up.  Still one of the fastest on the field. And guess what? Still didn't get burnt as much.  Injuries only held him back from some sad spring and fall analysis.  

Challenged and hung on to his spot?  Bwahhh...he got it back immediately both times as soon as he could lace them up...it was never gone.  Just bad info.

Hasn't drawn attention from NFL scouts?  AAAAAHHHHH.  Who has?  

Exhibit A...Bad analysis.  See above.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Chad's accomplishments were minimized.  There was also a discussion in a post. Pretty much said he didn't give up much, but it had nothing to do with his talent, it was due to us having Whit and a freshman corner getting picked on.  The same freshman corner that is all of a sudden considered better and a lock at his corner but chad isnt?  Make up your mind.  To add to this nonsense, teams are all of a sudden going to forget about picking on nate? Or do you think they will listen to the UNT analysts and say, I heard he had a nice Spring and fall camp...

Explain that logic and analysis.  A spring and fall camp vs UNT 2nd team carries more weight than what actually happened in real football?  So the weak player that prevented Chad from getting passes is all of a sudden all world without playing real football.

Another reason you just put above, Chad hasn't made a ton of plays...Who has?  Highlights show at least 3 big plays. Add some PBUs in the redzone...TFLs, sack...not understanding what you mean. Especially compared to the rest of the team.  I wish all 11 made the plays he made.  Have you actually watched film?  While sober?

So let's also apply the same logic that gives nate a pass to when Chad was thrown in the fire at corner.  He didn't start, but he was thrown out there on passing downs.  Did he get beat?  Chad didn't get the man crush nate is getting now.  They knew Chad was out there. They threw at James Jones and Buyers. Chad didn't get any props from the "analysts"  And he played his soph season on a torn up knee.  

Injuries did not hold chad back.  He hasn't missed a game due to injury.  He got medicated and sucked it up.  Still one of the fastest on the field. And guess what? Still didn't get burnt as much.  Injuries only held him back from some sad spring and fall analysis.  

Challenged and hung on to his spot?  Bwahhh...he got it back immediately both times as soon as he could lace them up...it was never gone.  Just bad info.

Hasn't drawn attention from NFL scouts?  AAAAAHHHHH.  Who has?  

Exhibit A...Bad analysis.  See above.

No I dont watch film while sober. That's hard to do watching North Texas.

Chad will get more balls thrown his way this year, because Nate will make plays early on. So Chad will have a chance to make more plays this year.

Nate is getting the man crush now because he had a great fall. You could see it in the scrimmages and practice. His play stood out. He was the best cover guy in practice and scrimmages. He played like the best CB we have.

Yes I often give BAD analysis, its really bad and half assed. You know what I dont really care. People dont pay attention to what I have to say or type so neither should you. 

McClain - NFL 

You've made your point and Chad Davis is the best CB on this team. I shouldve know I was wrong when I started thinking. Wait I dont think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

GOMG2013 being a FBS player is tough and it's best to have a thick skin and let criticism slide off you.  Being the Family or Friend of a FBS player is also tough, and again it's best to let criticism of them slide off you.  

Fellas. I am a critic. I LOVE criticism.  My issue is WHAT IS THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR ANALYSIS!!!!!

I'm not caring about the opinion here.  THERES A FLAW ON WHAT THE OPINION IS BASED ON.  I'm looking at replays of games, and i think I'm the one that's crazy.

I have a problem with the method.  Boys on here talking bout practice...we not talking bout games...we talking bout practice...

Let's just put it like this.  No matter what is said, Chad is in the lineup, so you think my feelings are hurt?  All the guys I follow have played and got a shot.

Apparently the coaches think very highly of him and think he is good.  Boy didn't go through Fall camp and he is starting SMU.  With a messed up knee. Doesn't that speak for itself?  

The fans deserve to know.  I brought knowledge.  Form your own opinion.  And to be truthful I didnt watch much of the games either.  I thought his season was whack too...until I watched replays and highlights...but I also wasnt out there feeding fans info either.

• Downvote 2