Missouri almost came to Apogee

GreenFlag

33 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

I had a plugged in AD employee tell me 5 or so years ago they had Mizzou ready to come Apogee. RV shut it down because he didn't want to rub anyone the wrong way during the last conference shuffle. This guy told me the rest of the staff who put it together were pretty upset about it. 

I just can't remember RV's reasoning. I seemed like horrible reasoning to me at the time which is probably why I don't remember.

Can anyone (former or current AD employee) fill in the blanks here? 

I was asked to keep at the time but I figure it's ok now. 

This is pretty simple. You were lied to. 

27 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Reinforces RV's lack of ability in his job. He was good at infrastructure and mostly terrible at everything else. Sad. Complete lack of vision. 

Whoever the new AD is will surely be an upgrade.

If you were at the meeting with the consultants, you would have learned he was NOT good at facilities. At all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This is pretty simple. You were lied to. 

If you were at the meeting with the consultants, you would have learned he was NOT good at facilities. At all.

What did they say? 

Additionally, does anyone know what the new AD would need to do to get us out of ridiculous schedules RV came up with? SMU, and Army are great but there are some really ridiculous FCS opponents that we shouldn't have scheduled.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

What did they say? 

Additionally, does anyone know what the new AD would need to do to get us out of ridiculous schedules RV came up with? SMU, and Army are great but there are some really ridiculous FCS opponents that we shouldn't have scheduled.

In a nutshell? Outside of Apogee, facilities are SEVERLY lacking, including the new basketball practice facility that was built without shower facilities. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

Only in horse shoes and hand grenades do these things matter. No more almost having a shot at getting into a conference like the SWC. No more almost being good enough to compete with an occasional P5 team in the past. No more almost being good enough to have a chance to win an NCAA tourney game. We need an AD who can find a way to ditch the almost stuff and actually get the job done for once.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

Only in horse shoes and hand grenades do these things matter. No more almost having a shot at getting into a conference like the SWC. No more almost being good enough to compete with an occasional P5 team in the past. No more almost being good enough to have a chance to win an NCAA tourney game. We need an AD who can find a way to ditch the almost stuff and actually get the job done for once.

Of course, if UNT does ever realize it's potential and RISES out of obscurity, you might have to change your name...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Of course, if UNT does ever realize it's potential and RISES out of obscurity, you might have to change your name...

I promise to change it the moment we match Bama in football and Kentucky and Connecticut in basketball. If I decide to hold my breath waiting for that day, I may need your pledge to change it for me posthumously.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

I just can't remember RV's reasoning.

There is absolutely NO APPROPRIATE REASON at all... In which this game absolutely had to be scratched. Not unless Missouri somehow mysteriously vanished into thin air and never to be seen again. RV can have his excuse.... 

RV was only here to meet the requirements of an AD job at UNT (which isn't a very high bar) and stuck to FCS. Pat him on the back for helping us get Apogee built, but shame on him for not letting us use it in regards to one of the biggest reasons in building it in the first place. (Bringing in big names) 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Missouri is the type of school we need to target.   They're in the SEC, so no bi-yearly trips to DFW for games VS TCU.   They're not one of the teams that are constantly playing neutral site games at Jerry World.  ...yet they're constantly recruiting the heck out of DFW schools.

They love them some Denton county players (Bud Sasser, James Franklin come to mind right away)...

• Upvote 2

This really shouldn't matter, but is there a way to verify this rumor from GREENFLAG's source and from someone from NT ?  I know RV was all about playing a big name at their site because a "home and home" provided no guarantee to North Texas.  But even if a big team didn't draw well, I bet they would draw as well as Bethune-Cookman* or Houston Baptist. 

*Maybe if we schedule this as "Bethune" AND "Cookman", we can squeeze another home game out of this season.   

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

I promise to change it the moment we match Bama in football and Kentucky and Connecticut in basketball. If I decide to hold my breath waiting for that day, I may need your pledge to change it for me posthumously.   

We'd probably need to have a non-UNT person do it, since everyone on this board will die of heart attack when that day comes.

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

This really shouldn't matter, but is there a way to verify this rumor from GREENFLAG's source and from someone from NT ?  I know RV was all about playing a big name at their site because a "home and home" provided no guarantee to North Texas.  But even if a big team didn't draw well, I bet they would draw as well as Bethune-Cookman* or Houston Baptist. 

*Maybe if we schedule this as "Bethune" AND "Cookman", we can squeeze another home game out of this season.   

What people don't understand is that the biggest win would be with UNT's own alums, many of whom assume UNT plays in a lower division due to the crap teams that RV consistently brought to Apogee.

When you schedule like an FCS, even your own alums will believe you ARE an FCS. 

PERCEPTION

PERCEPTION

PERCEPTION

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

There is absolutely NO APPROPRIATE REASON at all... In which this game absolutely had to be scratched. Not unless Missouri somehow mysteriously vanished into thin air and never to be seen again. RV can have his excuse.... 

RV was only here to meet the requirements of an AD job at UNT (which isn't a very high bar) and stuck to FCS. Pat him on the back for helping us get Apogee built, but shame on him for not letting us use it in regards to one of the biggest reasons in building it in the first place. (Bringing in big names) 

I prefer to thank the people who actually helped the stadium become a reality. Flyer and others in SGA and the students that voted. The only thing RV did to help the stadium get built was to stay out of the way during the run up to the vote.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In the long list of AD responsibilities, the most important is raising funds.  P5 teams require a guarantee or its a 2x1. We can dance around the issue all we want but in the end we have to find more money for this program.  Lets hope WB is the man when it comes to fundraising.  Lets hope he negotiates better than Jesus and can actually get the athletics fee raised to peer levels.  I don't ever shout down the 17 as they have kept this ship above water with bubble gum and bailing wire.  The HUGE issue we have is there are only 17 (which I think the number is well lower considering the fundraising events I have attended). RV was king of doing "just enough to keep his job". His fundraising was a perfect example of this.  He trotted out the occasional million dollar donor and we would get very excited but the pipeline was so dry behind  those donations.  As we all know MGC numbers are worse than pathetic.  They illustrate a program that should drop sports quite frankly. WB has a big job to do. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

In the long list of AD responsibilities, the most important is raising funds.  P5 teams require a guarantee or its a 2x1. We can dance around the issue all we want but in the end we have to find more money for this program.  Lets hope WB is the man when it comes to fundraising.  Lets hope he negotiates better than Jesus and can actually get the athletics fee raised to peer levels.  I don't ever shout down the 17 as they have kept this ship above water with bubble gum and bailing wire.  The HUGE issue we have is there are only 17 (which I think the number is well lower considering the fundraising events I have attended). RV was king of doing "just enough to keep his job". His fundraising was a perfect example of this.  He trotted out the occasional million dollar donor and we would get very excited but the pipeline was so dry behind  those donations.  As we all know MGC numbers are worse than pathetic.  They illustrate a program that should drop sports quite frankly. WB has a big job to do. 

People will be shocked the large donors Baker pulls in within the 1st year.

And some won't like it. 

Things that will (hopefully) end:

Personal telephone calls from the athletic director to a $500 a year Mean Green Club donor because he heard the donor was upset. 

The $500 donor stopping by the athletic director's office for a chat. 

The athletic director appearing on GMG podcasts (because he will have anything better to do. Sorry, Harry). 

And a whole list of other things.

You will hear complaints from the small-timers. Mark it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 10

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

People will be shocked the large donors Baker pulls in within the 1st year.

And some won't like it. 

Things that will (hopefully) end:

Personal telephone calls from the athletic director to a $500 a year Mean Green Club donor because he heard the donor was upset. 

The $500 donor stopping by the athletic director's office for a chat. 

The athletic director appearing on GMG podcasts (because he will have anything better to do. Sorry, Harry). 

And a whole list of other things.

You will hear complaints from the small-timers. Mark it. 

I tend to think the podcast is an excellent and cost effective way to reach the fanbase. I won't be bothered or surprised if the new AD continues doing them.

• Upvote 4