You're a high school senior QB

greenjoe

On July 22, 2016 at 7:55 PM, GrandGreen said:

Most good players by nature think that they are good enough to play anywhere.    It has nothing to do with being pampered, but everything to do with being confident and competitive.   

Yep.

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Mr Jackson,

you always depress me with your facts..........lol

Forbes criteria is terrible. ~20% of the ranking is based on RateMyProfessor.com, it also highly weights alumni who are C level officers at what Forbes considers to be top companies.  

Remember that we are ranked as a Carnegie Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1).  

List of Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1) Universities in Texas:

• Rice
  • Texas A&M
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • North Texas
  • UTA
  • UT
  • UTD

List of Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity (R2) Universities in Texas:

• Baylor
  • SMU
  • TCU
  • UTEP
  • UTSA

There are also 16 " Doctoral Universities - Moderate Research Activity (R3) Universities in Texas.  

And just to show how CUSA lines up:

R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest research activity

• North Texas
  • Rice
  • UAB 
  • FIU

R2: Doctoral Universities – Higher research activity

• USM
  • UTSA
  • UTEP
  • FAU
  • ODU
  • UNCC

R3: Doctoral Universities – Moderate research activity

• MTSU
  • LaTech

Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs

• Marshall
  • WKU

I would want to go to the little program, and be a chance to be that school's hero. When people think ____ football and its greatest player, I would want to be that name. But, that's the kind-hearted computer geek me talking. Realistically, I can't imagine being cocky enough to be a hot-shot high school QB, who I couldn't blame for wanting to go to the big-name school.

On July 23, 2016 at 0:04 PM, BillySee58 said:

One factor that often gets overlooked in the whole "start your whole career at 'X' G5 school, or wait your turn and never play at 'Y' P5 school" is that the coaches at the P5 schools are usually better recruiters than the G5 schools' coaches. So the challenge isn't just getting kids who have a better product to choose, but the salesman selling that product is elite as well.

The P5 recruiters lie their asses off and promise recruits the world.  They'll tell them anything to get them on campus.

Rick

On 7/23/2016 at 7:15 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Young athletes don't think long term usually.  If that were the case Stanford, Norte Dame, Michigan, USC, Boston College and UCLA would almost never struggle.  They all are highly touted academically and have good athletic brands.  All these schools have struggled for years on end over the last 25 years.  And only USC could blame some of their issues on NCAA scholarship penalties during that period of time.  UNT makes a lot of sense as destination for student athletes however, if Boston College can consistently struggle in their conference division just about any school should.

But look at our conference rivals.  UNT is the oldest and largest school in the conference.  And if you were ranking the schools academically UNT is in the middle of the pack.  We should be out recruiting these schools regularly except for maybe Rice and La Tech if you want to consider location and academics.  And that is assuming that the recruits are heavily influence by the academic reputation of the schools.

University Forbes Rank
North Texas 553
UAB 515
Rice 30
MTSU 638
LA Tech 392
Southern Miss 522
Marshall Not Ranked
UTSA 654
WKU 576
UTEP 554
FIU 455
FAU 557
Old Dominon 545
UNC Charlette 492

Not to be picky but FIU has a bigger enrollment than us. 

Observation isn't data, but I'm going to rely on it anyway.  

I've observed a lot of athlete families over the past years in various and sundry travels and excursions.

I notice that the parents tend to wear the same underarmor uniforms, super tanned, Oakley sunglasses stylishly resting atop the bring of the Nike cap, super short haircuts, and oddly, shaved arms.  

Little Timmy is wearing similar underarmor uniform, is usually tall and lanky, and always carrying a ball.

Sit quietly in the corner and listen to the conversation.  Underamor dad will ramble on for hours with a mixture of how little Timmy screwed up, he's better than that, he's going to be a star, dammit!  Is little Timmy a star or a cake eater?  Does little Timmy want to be a cake eater like failure little Tommy down the street? To third parties, Underarmor dad and his trophy wife who dresses from the sale rack at Pier 1, will tell you that little Timmy can and will take any college he plays for to four years of undefeated national championship seasons.  

I am of the opinion that there is a segment of our population who puts waaaaay too much emphasis on the hopes and dreams of little Timmy becoming the next John Elway.  They dress the part, they spend every dime they've got, they run little Timmy ragged, and this life is all little Timmy knows.  Playing in front of 80,000 fans in college prior to signing his multi-million dollar signing bonus on draft day is the only future he knows.  Working for it in the humble environs of a CUSA school is for loser Tommy down the street. 

The glint of hope is that maybe failure Tommy down the street might be the one who's putting in the work on his own, knows that an athletic scholarship is a path to an academic degree and the statistically MUCH MORE LIKELY future of going to work outside sports.  

Tommy's probably the guy we're after.

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Observation isn't data, but I'm going to rely on it anyway.  

I've observed a lot of athlete families over the past years in various and sundry travels and excursions.

I notice that the parents tend to wear the same underarmor uniforms, super tanned, Oakley sunglasses stylishly resting atop the bring of the Nike cap, super short haircuts, and oddly, shaved arms.  

Little Timmy is wearing similar underarmor uniform, is usually tall and lanky, and always carrying a ball.

Sit quietly in the corner and listen to the conversation.  Underamor dad will ramble on for hours with a mixture of how little Timmy screwed up, he's better than that, he's going to be a star, dammit!  Is little Timmy a star or a cake eater?  Does little Timmy want to be a cake eater like failure little Tommy down the street? To third parties, Underarmor dad and his trophy wife who dresses from the sale rack at Pier 1, will tell you that little Timmy can and will take any college he plays for to four years of undefeated national championship seasons.  

I am of the opinion that there is a segment of our population who puts waaaaay too much emphasis on the hopes and dreams of little Timmy becoming the next John Elway.  They dress the part, they spend every dime they've got, they run little Timmy ragged, and this life is all little Timmy knows.  Playing in front of 80,000 fans in college prior to signing his multi-million dollar signing bonus on draft day is the only future he knows.  Working for it in the humble environs of a CUSA school is for loser Tommy down the street. 

The glint of hope is that maybe failure Tommy down the street might be the one who's putting in the work on his own, knows that an athletic scholarship is a path to an academic degree and the statistically MUCH MORE LIKELY future of going to work outside sports.  

Tommy's probably the guy we're after.

They sell clothes at Pier 1???

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Hell if I know.  I'm about as stylish as Napoleon Dynamite. 

And did you think Pier 1 was a stylish place??? Are were you trying to say they were $30k millionaires?

Also, I think your exposure has been very limited. I wouldn't categorize this as the norm. 

Edited by UNT90

On July 24, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Cerebus said:

Forbes criteria is terrible. ~20% of the ranking is based on RateMyProfessor.com, it also highly weights alumni who are C level officers at what Forbes considers to be top companies.  

Remember that we are ranked as a Carnegie Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1).  

And just to show how CUSA lines up:

R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest research activity

• North Texas
  • Rice
  • UAB 
  • FIU

R2: Doctoral Universities – Higher research activity

• USM
  • UTSA
  • UTEP
  • FAU
  • ODU
  • UNCC

R3: Doctoral Universities – Moderate research activity

• MTSU
  • LaTech

Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs

• Marshall
  • WKU

All fine and good but my point was always that student athletes aren't focus on the long term usually.  The definitely aren't thinking about how research activity at their chosen university is going to affect their undergraduate career.   Way too many three and four star recruits aren't even thinking about graduating, let alone the perceived market value of their degree if they chose to finish.  UNT is great academically in a lot of ways so you don't have to sell me, you have to sell a 17 year old who knows want kind of offense or defense he wants to play in way more than what they want to major in.  If most student athletes cared about academics appropriately department chairs would routinely go on recruiting trips.