Setting the bar

After attending the meeting and reading the posts associated with it, I still see pessimism abound and for good reason. Those of us who have been around awhile, have seen it all before. New coaching staff, new promises, all with the same results. It's no wonder this university is not taken seriously athletically. I'll never forget the quote from the late Dr. Pohl who stated that athletics is the window through which (UNT) is viewed. Though we have achieved Tier 1 status, what is the first thing (justified or not) that is thought of when you mention NT? That we suck on the football field, the basketball court and are barely an afterthought, even with alumni. There is so much dysfunction, it's hard to know where to start. I remember when the commitment was made to move us back to Div.1-A in football how much excitement there was. Goals were set and met to reach that goal. Twenty years later we find ourselves struggling for relevance, not only to the general public and the world of college athletics, but to our own students and alumni. Years of losing in a watered down conference will do that.

I want to see a new commitment from our administration  and the new AD, whoever that may be. If we want to be relevant in our own state, we need to aspire to be what this university can be. If we want to get fans and alumni interested and excited again, then the powers that be need to position us to not only win and win consistently, but make it a new goal to achieve P-5 status and seek admission to a P-5 conference. No more half-assed measures and pretending to be a player when we're not. I'm sick of being categorized as a mid major in everything. And that is why the Athletic Department needs a cleansing enema and get people in here who will accept the challenge and strive for greatness. THAT will get people's attention and send the message that UNT is serious and not just blowing smoke. My message to the BOR's, go big, or go home.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

After attending the meeting and reading the posts associated with it, I still see pessimism abound and for good reason. Those of us who have been around awhile, have seen it all before. New coaching staff, new promises, all with the same results. It's no wonder this university is not taken seriously athletically. I'll never forget the quote from the late Dr. Pohl who stated that athletics is the window through which (UNT) is viewed. Though we have achieved Tier 1 status, what is the first thing (justified or not) that is thought of when you mention NT? That we suck on the football field, the basketball court and are barely an afterthought, even with alumni. There is so much dysfunction, it's hard to know where to start. I remember when the commitment was made to move us back to Div.1-A in football how much excitement there was. Goals were set and met to reach that goal. Twenty years later we find ourselves struggling for relevance, not only to the general public and the world of college athletics, but to our own students and alumni. Years of losing in a watered down conference will do that.

I want to see a new commitment from our administration  and the new AD, whoever that may be. If we want to be relevant in our own state, we need to aspire to be what this university can be. If we want to get fans and alumni interested and excited again, then the powers that be need to position us to not only win and win consistently, but make it a new goal to achieve P-5 status and seek admission to a P-5 conference. No more half-assed measures and pretending to be a player when we're not. I'm sick of being categorized as a mid major in everything. And that is why the Athletic Department needs a cleansing enema and get people in here who will accept the challenge and strive for greatness. THAT will get people's attention and send the message that UNT is serious and not just blowing smoke. My message to the BOR's, go big, or go home.

I agree and we need people to understand that change is a good thing. You don't need George Dunham over here advertising Hank who's been at the university for 20 plus years because it's a long time friendship connection. I see George as a guy who just doesn't like change or he is too content with being mediocre. I'm sure George is a good guy but he needs to do the university a favor and stop the campaigning.

Also - How many MGC members do we currently have? Who is in charge of that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

I agree and we need people to understand that change is a good thing. You don't need George Dunham over here advertising Hank who's been at the university for 20 plus years because it's a long time friendship connection. I see George as a guy who just doesn't like change or he is too content with being mediocre. I'm sure George is a good guy but he needs to do the university a favor and stop the campaigning.

Not many. And, this guy:
10197437.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NTAlum09 said:

Remember, George's view of all of this is from the other side of the glass.  He definitely cares about success, but over the years he has built up defensive mechanisms to deal with the failures and I am not even sure he is aware of it.

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Remember, George's view of all of this is from the other side of the glass.  He definitely cares about success, but over the years he has built up defensive mechanisms to deal with the failures and I am not even sure he is aware of it.

Well I think he either needs to change his medication or man up on the failures.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Gastrointestinal analogies, that'll definitely get people's attention.

And a request. If you are going to make gastrointestinal analogies, please do so on the 28th, which is Mel Brooks (and my) birthday.

Thank you.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

On June 29, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Hunter Green said:

I approve of this post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Remember the Flip Wilson skit where he talks about growing a church? The preacher tells his congregation that the church must crawl before it can walk, walk before it can run, and that running cost money. A member{ whom I can only assume  was a UNT graduate } shouts out, " let it crawl , preacher". We need a winning football season, we need to win our division, we need to win our conference. At present we bring nothing to CUSA, let alone a G-5 conference.And to reach our potential we need a lot more money. Or, we can continue to "let it crawl."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Money is not your problem...  You guys are better situated geographically, have a much greater student body, have a much broader alumni base, and a much larger budget than Southern Miss.  You don't need leadership to make you great....you need leadership that believes you are great and attracts coaches that believe you are great.  This type leadership and coaching attracts great players and creates great fans... and results in long term great programs.  You have to overachieve, and overachieving must become an expectation...

I have been following your forum for a long time....  never posted before.  You are past the Villareal nightmare and came out of it with really good facilities.

You have everything except tradition...  I'm pulling for you.  Money is not the problem

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Dann4861 said:

Money is not your problem...  You guys are better situated geographically, have a much greater student body, have a much broader alumni base, and a much larger budget than Southern Miss.  You don't need leadership to make you great....you need leadership that believes you are great and attracts coaches that believe you are great.  This type leadership and coaching attracts great players and creates great fans... and results in long term great programs.  You have to overachieve, and overachieving must become an expectation...

I have been following your forum for a long time....  never posted before.  You are past the Villareal nightmare and came out of it with really good facilities.

You have everything except tradition...  I'm pulling for you.  Money is not the problem

Actually, not so much according to the consultants hired to evaluate the athletic program. 

Nice football stadium. Everything else? Not so much.

It will be interesting to see if their recommendations fall on old, set in their ways, deaf ears 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Dann4861 said:

Thank you Dan -  appreciate your post.  We need a 3rd party perspective in times like these.