MGB: Key questions UNT’s new AD will face Part IV — What about a new track facility, baseball?

Brett Vito

Baseball has become a lower priority as football and basketball, the programs that help support baseball, have fallen off a cliff. 

Right those first before starting an inevitable first few years losing baseball program. 

This fan base can't take another loser right now. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Build an indoor practice facility next--we don't need baseball until football and basketball are going in the right direction and making money.

Exactly (and fix / update the Athletic Center to above local high school standards).

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

We have to get baseball and build a nice stadium for it, as soon as possible. I have been going to the TCU games on the regular since I started my masters there in 2011. It is a great time. Win or lose (Which they win a lot), it is always a great time. Just spent this last weekend at their regional with the wife and kid. It was so much fun and way better than going to a Rangers game. I want nothing more than UNT to get a team and take advantage of all this baseball talent we have here in Texas. Everyone always talks about the football talent that leaves the state. Baseball has even more kids leaving Texas to play elsewhere. If we build it, they will come...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 6/6/2016 at 10:28 PM, UNT Mean Green said:

Exactly (and fix / update the Athletic Center to above local high school standards).

Agree. People don't like hearing this, but outside of Apogee the quality of our facilities is average to mediocre. Even for C-USA standards.

Wasn't there a story last year about how the AD offices, weight room and football locker room were about to get a major facelift?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Agree. People don't like hearing this, but outside of Apogee the quality of our facilities is average to mediocre. Even for C-USA standards.

Wasn't there a story last year about how the AD offices, weight room and football locker room were about to get a major facelift?

The Super Pit is average or mediocre?  There are some improvements to be made but it's the third largest in CUSA and among the best in appointments.  The only thing mediocre about our revenue venues is attendance.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

The Super Pit is average or mediocre?  There are some improvements to be made but it's the third largest in CUSA and among the best in appointments.  The only thing mediocre about our revenue venues is attendance.

Mediocre would be averaging half of the full capacity. So football is abysmal and basketball is just nuclear fallout bad...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On June 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM, untjim1995 said:

Build an indoor practice facility next--we don't need baseball until football and basketball are going in the right direction and making money.

How important is an indoor practice facility? Very! Herman at U of H had it written into his contract!

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

How important is an indoor practice facility? Very! Herman at U of H had it written into his contract!

I remember it being brought up on this board (ahem) and RV discounting it in one of the podcasts.  If the IPF could somehow be connected to 'renovation/refinance' of Apogee and covered under the rules of what is allowed to be covered by student fees, and assuming the baseball facility cannot be covered under the existing student fees then I think I would lean toward IPF as well before baseball.  In an ideal world we get both, but not sure how realistic that is.

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I remember it being brought up on this board (ahem) and RV discounting it in one of the podcasts.  If the IPF could somehow be connected to 'renovation/refinance' of Apogee and covered under the rules of what is allowed to be covered by student fees, and assuming the baseball facility cannot be covered under the existing student fees then I think I would lean toward IPF as well before baseball.  In an ideal world we get both, but not sure how realistic that is.

Get an AD who can really raise money, and I bet you'll end up with substantial costs offset by private donations versus student fees.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Get an AD who can really raise money, and I bet you'll end up with substantial costs offset by private donations versus student fees.

And I reference student fees from the standpoint of how the student fee language was written according to some with knowledge who said there were restrictions on what the fee could be used for. 

11 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

And I reference student fees from the standpoint of how the student fee language was written according to some with knowledge who said there were restrictions on what the fee could be used for. 

Good point. Whoever is chosen for the position, what we really need is a "team" culture where the AD embraces the BoR, President, and his Coaches views to enable and execute the tactical plans. 

We need the AD to empower his coaches and have the support of the university from the top down.

On 6/6/2016 at 10:28 PM, UNT Mean Green said:

Well, if you are talking Frisco High School standards, who are about to use the Cowboys stuff, or McKinney, or Allen, then yes. But we really do need an indoor facility that all sports would use. But seriously, above high school is silliness!!!

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Well, if you are talking Frisco High School standards, who are about to use the Cowboys stuff, or McKinney, or Allen, then yes. But we really do need an indoor facility that all sports would use. But seriously, above high school is silliness!!!

In comparing the Athletic Center against the FBS schools whom we compete in recruiting with; whose is worse / needs an upgrade than ours? NO updates since a $7mm build in 2000? Seriously...

And, yes, you're absolutely correct that we need a multi-purpose indoor.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

44 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

In comparing the Athletic Center against the FBS schools whom we compete in recruiting with; whose is worse / needs an upgrade than ours? NO updates since a $7mm build in 2000? Seriously...

And, yes, you're absolutely correct that we need a multi-purpose indoor.

I think you don't get what I meant. Above High School is silliness because it shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Not even close to being in the same conversation...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTexas said:

But we really do need an indoor facility that all sports would use. But seriously, above high school is silliness!!!

Unfortunately in the athletics facilities arms race, the multi sport indoor practice/training facility has become passe. Most schools are building football specific facilities. Houston has had a nultisport facility for years. Unfortunately that doesn't meet current standards.  So it's primarily used by track and other sports and the new facility will be football only

I'd expect a new track facility first because the university wants the land Fouts is sitting on for other uses like parking. Then it comes down to what the big donors want next -- an indoor practice facility for football or a baseball program.

• Upvote 2