Former Bama QB turning heads at UNT

Harry

I really hope we finally get a CUSA top tier quality QB with this guy. I think the most important part is our coaching of the offense this season. The element of surprise and better risk taking when it matters will prevent our QB from getting steamrolled almost every play. Besides the fact that we haven't had a quality since DT (Hate to say it) We just had no rhythm and the offense was to predictable. Something Morris should have taken from practicing with Bama is the element of shell shocking the defense with the offensive strategy used.

Harrell seems to know his way, his credentials are just so impressive to be a flop... 

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Right? It's getting a bit tired

"Shanbour has talent and should have a solid shot at starting"

"hur hur but he's small, like Rudy. Why don't you stop worshiping him and accept reality"

Behind a bad O-line, which barring massive improvements in the fall, is what we will have this year, give me a QB who can move and make quicker decisions. Not a big guy with a big arm that can barely move

Morris is plenty mobile to scramble out of a rush and find a receiver. 

21 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

“That’s kind of where he sits. We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I’d expect he could be the starter easily around here.”

Anyone else kind of squint at this comment and think of Harrell as little brat? Or is it just me? 

No.  I think that he just forgot about the innerwebs being world wide - even reaching as far as Denton, Texas - and, so, he told the truth...which the Shanbour faction doesn't want to hear/face.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Easily?!  Did he watch the same spring game I did...I mean, sure, he's the OC and actually watched all of practice but I saw a WHOLE spring game.  

Was it really a "game" now? Or was it just another spring practice that was open to the public?

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No.  I think that he just forgot about the innerwebs being world wide - even reaching as far as Denton, Texas - and, so, he told the truth...which the Shanbour faction doesn't want to hear/face.

Wait... There is a Shanbour faction??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No!  I was watching Seabiscuit.

I've seen all I need to see.  I don't care about fall practice, the proof is in their heart dimensions.

It really does come back to blood flow and circulation when it comes down to it.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Dont expect an extension of Graham Harrell on the field folks. It's just reality. Morris and this offense will struggle. It won't be as ugly as it was under that idiot Teflon Todd but this team will struggle. 

You may be corecct, but I don't  believe we will struggle because of the Qb or offense of scheme this year. I believe we will struggle because of the few skills players we have.

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Don't sell this guy short, I watched him at practice the I think he could surprise us all. Just wish he was a little taller.

I'm not selling him short at all, there were just a couple of posts on here that basically said Mac and Vito were wrong and Shanbour is more talented than both those 2 thought he was (better than Means, Chad, McNulty) . Now that has morphed into some "Shanbour faction?"

I predicted Shambour will be starter by game 4 or 5. That's because I think Morris is going to have problems staying healthy with a lack of mobility and an extremely spotty OL. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, mgfan said:

You may be corecct, but I don't  believe we will struggle because of the Qb or offense of scheme this year. I believe we will struggle because of the few skills players we have.

This is the one thing I am not buying. I think we have pretty good skill players in Ivery, Wilson, Goree, Thompson, K. Smith, Khan, Smiley, etc. I would only imagine that one of the incoming guys will make a little of an impact as well. I do not think skill players will be out issue whatsoever. I think what might be our downfall on offense is that we may be 100% one dimensional due to a subpar offensive line. By that, running the football will be difficult early in the season until QB and skill players get some continuity developed. Then, hopefully, that will open up running lanes for the backs so we're not playing against nickel and dime every. single. play. But as for skill players, I think they will be able to handle their own, particularly in this scheme. 

*Ivery is tailor-made for this O. 

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is the one thing I am not buying. I think we have pretty good skill players in Ivery, Wilson, Goree, Thompson, K. Smith, Khan, Smiley, etc. I would only imagine that one of the incoming guys will make a little of an impact as well. I do not think skill players will be out issue whatsoever. I think what might be our downfall on offense is that we may be 100% one dimensional due to a subpar offensive line. By that, running the football will be difficult early in the season until QB and skill players get some continuity developed. Then, hopefully, that will open up running lanes for the backs so we're not playing against nickel and dime every. single. play. But as for skill players, I think they will be able to handle their own, particularly in this scheme. 

*Ivery is tailor-made for this O. 

Those are some good points. I can see where you are coming from. Hopefully ol won't be a big issue. By that I mean, if the Qb can release the ball quickly the ol won't have as much pressure. Seems to me little mac would hold the ball far too long. I do hope we have good skill players, but WR's worry me. Last year we had 1 threat at WR. We are going to need multiple legitimate threats at WR this year. I just have trouble seeing who those will be. 

Edited by mgfan

14 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Those are some good points. I can see where you are coming from. Hopefully ol won't be a big issue. By that I mean, if the Qb can release the ball quickly the ol won't have as much pressure. Seems to me little mac would hold the ball far too long. I do hope we have good skill players, but WR's worry me. Last year we had 1 threat at WR. We are going to need multiple legitimate threats at WR this year. I just have trouble seeing who those will be. 

WR problems or QB problems? Chicken or Egg? 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

There is no doubt last year was QB problems. Hard to catch a pass when no one can get it to you and your offense is only throwing the ball on third down.

• Upvote 1

Simply by just having reasonably competent quarterback play I feel our offense will be vastly improved.  We don't need our trigger man to go out and try to win the Heisman.  It's all about precision and good decisions.  Morris/Shanbour/new dude we just got from a JC just have to identify the match up which benefits us, make the decision and execute.  It's not rocket science.  OL just needs to hold long enough to get the ball to the open man.  I feel like we've got some stallions at wide out.  We will be okay.

On 6/4/2016 at 3:13 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Got to have more than one good route runner.  Timing is key on any pass play - whether in "Air Raid" offenses or old play action of 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses.  If your receivers can't get/work open, I don't care how good a QB is, protection will eventually break down.

Bad/incorrect route running = timing of the play screwed up.

Morris is dropping way down in terms of competition level.  So, the speed of the opposing defenses shouldn't be much of a bother to him if the OL can do a half decent job.  What we lack is proven route runners among the WR. 

Yes, many WRs are said to have "potential."  But, sh*tloads of players go through their whole college careers trying (or, in some cases, not trying) to live up to their "potential."  At some point, the WRs on the roster will have to get past the "he's got potential" to actually becoming playmakers.  Outside of Brelan Chancellor, we've lacked that for years. 

Hard to recall times when we've had the luxury of multiple playmakers at WR: 
-Maybe going back to Jamel Branch/George Marshall's 2001:  64 receptions, 14 TDs, in Dickey's run-based offense led by Kevin Galbreath? 
-Casey Fitzgerald/Brandon Jackson's 2007:  190 receptions, 13 TDs...(did you see that, Branch/Marshall had more TD receptions with about 1/3rd of the reception total)?

Folks...since 2000 (and, possibly longer) those are the only two seasons where the top two WRs have combined for more than 10 TD receptions.  Pretty sad to think about.  So, when I say we've lacked playmakers at WR, it's been pretty much whether we've had run-based or "It's Wide Open"-type of offenses.

By the way, I subscribe to the Kenny Stabler school of thinking regarding good quarterbacking.  When asked what makes a successful quarterback, Snake said, "Get your ass on a good team!"

Our QBs haven't had the luxury of many of those since the Hayden Fry and pre-Hayden Fry days.  Those NTSU alum saw some really good football.  Those of us in the UNT years, not so much,

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox