Houston's head coach doesn't think SMU is willing to pay the price for a winning football program

Harry

You can demand success/perfection with class or you can do it like Herman, without class.  I prefer the former.  Don't misinterpret not liking his actions with accepting being mediocre or worse, some people just prefer that representatives of their school to handle themelves with class.

• Upvote 3

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Aldo said:

Dat strength of schedule doe.

I respect what Houston does, but their 2015 foes' regular season records:

63-86 (19-29 OOC)

They had around a top 40-50 ranked easiest schedule, while 'Bama had the #1 hardest. All 4 playoff teams had decidedly harder schedules. Heck, SMU had a harder schedule.

While they had good victories over P5s, they need to start shedding the FCS games, get their SOS rank higher for a G5 chance at a playoff.

Yes UH played some horrible teams but also beat 4 ranked teams and 3 P5 teams.  Going to minimize that?

Trying to schedule tougher. Stopped scheduling FCS for the future. But not doing buy games and 2 for 1s.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, THOR said:

Your = possession

You're = you are

Going back to Houston for a game isn't a great thing when the game isn't played on your campus...I don't want to play any team at any spot other than apogee if it's a home game....you reward fans with great games at home...people get their seats....their atmosphere. ..not some NFL stadium...that is not a home game...

Still playing 6 home games at TDECU. OU is an additional neutral site game in the city of Houston. We have P5 Louisville coming to TDECU later in the year

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Still playing 6 home games at TDECU. OU is an additional neutral site game in the city of Houston. We have P5 Louisville coming to TDECU later in the year

Shhhhhhh. This doesn't fit the RV lovers' narrative.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

37 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

That's awesome man...don't have to lose a home game, yet kinda get a home game...lucky bastards...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, THOR said:

except that there will be 40,000 more people there than at smu...

And UH will still have 6 home games...

But last year was the Hattiesburg Hustler's version of Houston's schedule this year. Or at least that's the way the hustler would try to spin it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

25 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And UH will still have 6 home games...

But last year was the Hattiesburg Hustler's version of Houston's schedule this year. Or at least that's the way the hustler would try to spin it.

Last year UH had 7 home games not counting the conference championship game so one could try to argue the OU game is giving up a home game

On May 13, 2016 at 4:29 PM, UNT90 said:

Could anyone every imagine the Hattiesburg Hustler saying these words? Ever? 

Take a look, folks, that's what a real program does.

I have a feeling you are completely wrong. 

Houston is coming off a win over Florida St., the previous season's national champion when Houston beat them. 

Plus, Houston is actually playing a big boy in their home city. Alums will travel back to Houston for this game in droves.

If you want to know why UNT is such a failure, it's demonstrated in the mindset of this very post. "Hey, we got SMU at home. I mean, it just can't get any better" and then trying to make fun of a program that is light years ahead of where UNT has ever and will ever be.

Just...

Why the hell hate on UH?  They are doing the dam thing as @UNT90 pointed out. Yes they have SWC history but other than that they have all the same resources and challenges that UNT does.  They stepped up and they are not shrinking from the challenge.  They are stepping up like David boldly stepped up and challenged Goliath.  I think we are less like David and more like a mythical cousin of Goliath.   A fat lazy behemoth that has NEVER trained and made the sacrifice to be a decent fighter.  Always taking the path of least resistance and excessive patting ourselves on the back for any minimal success we achieve.  Any minor success is grounds for a contract extension at UNT and that is freaking pathetic.  Name the biggest historical program to ever play UNT in Denton or Dallas/Irving since 1980?  KSU, Oregon State, or Kansas give me a break.  And it isn't like we play any those opponents regularly.  Not one them have played us in Denton or Dallas/Irving more than once?  Can we even take advantage of the scheduling exemption benefit for playing Hawaii?  Maybe that way we could guarantee at least 6 or 7 home games every year.  We have the advantage of having a major international hub airport 30 miles away.  Our athletic department does nothing and we want to point the finger at UH? 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Last year UH had 7 home games not counting the conference championship game so one could try to argue the OU game is giving up a home game

Moot point on this board, as the Hattiesburg Hustler is incapable of ever scheduling 7 home games.  UNT is lucky to get 6. Just ask the Hustler. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

On May 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

He's a good coach but a total moron. See his hilarious interview with SportsRadio610 (a watered down version of the Ticket) for more hilarity from this tool.

Yeah he's an idiot for going on there. Nobody listens to that station.

Now SportsRadioBeltway8, now that's where the action is!

21 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I love that we ridicule a coach who beat a top ten team less than a year ago.  It's hilarious that we look down upon a team that has aspirations of doing more than being satisfied with the status quo.  How dare he not realize that his program isn't Oklahoma?  Why can't he just stay in his lane and give up his pipe dreams?  Nobody likes it when the whore hits back.

Maybe we should just be happy that our football program puts on events where they are nice and tout our academic progress...as if winning and being good citizens are mutually exclusive. 

And nobody should EVER be made to feel ashamed fir taking a shot at SMU

I don't care if some may not like to hear it...Only at North Texas

Amen, brother.

we would be excited to play in the Weed Eater Bowl- we have a long way to go but it starts with winning.  I am hopeful we can turn this ship around but I am worried after watching the spring game.  We have a long way to go and not much time.  I going with 3 wins this year and hope our recruiting gets better.  Sorry to be Debbie Downer ....WHAW, WHAW, WHAW!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Why the hell hate on UH?  

Because of Cougar King. Understandable

29 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

we would be excited to play in the Weed Eater Bowl

That bowl hasn't been the Weedeater Bowl since 1997. Some may think Herman is crazy or classless but he's not dumb enough to insult a current bowl sponsor

Edited by NTXCoog

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wish more people took this advice with a certain troll.  Carry on.

I think you missed about 6 of 90's posts you haven't responded to yet if this is really an issue for you. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Because of Cougar King. Understandable

That bowl hasn't been the Weedeater Bowl since 1997. Some may think Herman is crazy or classless but he's not dumb enough to insult a current bowl sponsor

just making a point we are not at the level to be able to look down on any bowl game.

I think a lot of posters here look at UH and think we should be equals with them in football or basketball, just because we are both large, public universities that serve the two largest metro areas in the state. But that cannot be more false. UH has focused on athletics for its primary window to their school--Yeoman's Veer Offense of the 70s and 80s that turned them into a power that kicked butt in the SWC when they finally got admitted in 1976, Phi Slama Jamma was a national phenomenon, Elvin Hayes and UH beat Lew Alcindor and UCLA on national TV in the Astrodome, and then you've got the recent success under Briles, Sumlin, and now Herman, which has gotten bigger and better with each coach. Their alumni that give back do so because of the athletic pride the school has delivered to their degree value in Houston and in the state. Our primary windows have always been music and the arts, as well as cheap cost of attendance. Those windows don't deliver $$$ back to your university, but they do allow for your school to provide a lot of job security when thousands attend every year out of convenience and low cost.

It just boils down to the philosophy of the leadership of your university. One felt that athletics was a better way to go because their students and alumni wanted it that way. The other felt the exact opposite, which is what the overwhelming number of its alumni and students prefer. None of this should be all that surprising as to how it has played out...

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2016 at 6:56 PM, NTXCoog said:

Yes UH played some horrible teams but also beat 4 ranked teams and 3 P5 teams.  Going to minimize that?

Trying to schedule tougher. Stopped scheduling FCS for the future. But not doing buy games and 2 for 1s.  

When they are comparing themselves to Alabama and Clemson I certainly will minimize what the coach is saying.

Houston is a top 25 team, no question. They are not a playoff team yet.

They have a successful model that UNT needs to jump on. I mean, something as simple as their as social media marketing would do wonders for us.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:29 PM, UNT90 said:

Could anyone every imagine the Hattiesburg Hustler saying these words? Ever? 

Take a look, folks, that's what a real program does.

I have a feeling you are completely wrong. 

Houston is coming off a win over Florida St., the previous season's national champion when Houston beat them. 

Plus, Houston is actually playing a big boy in their home city. Alums will travel back to Houston for this game in droves.

If you want to know why UNT is such a failure, it's demonstrated in the mindset of this very post. "Hey, we got SMU at home. I mean, it just can't get any better" and then trying to make fun of a program that is light years ahead of where UNT has ever and will ever be.

Just...

They are playing Oklahoma at the Texans' stadium.  Oklahoma will have its way with Houston, you can count on that.  And, the Sooners will have more fans in the stands, you can count on that.  That is why they are playing it at the Texans' stadium - Houston's stadium wouldn't hold enough OU fans for OU to bother scheduling the game. 

It's a pure recruiting tool for OU. 

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think a lot of posters here look at UH and think we should be equals with them in football or basketball, just because we are both large, public universities that serve the two largest metro areas in the state. But that cannot be more false. UH has focused on athletics for its primary window to their school--Yeoman's Veer Offense of the 70s and 80s that turned them into a power that kicked butt in the SWC when they finally got admitted in 1976, Phi Slama Jamma was a national phenomenon, Elvin Hayes and UH beat Lew Alcindor and UCLA on national TV in the Astrodome, and then you've got the recent success under Briles, Sumlin, and now Herman, which has gotten bigger and better with each coach. Their alumni that give back do so because of the athletic pride the school has delivered to their degree value in Houston and in the state. Our primary windows have always been music and the arts, as well as cheap cost of attendance. Those windows don't deliver $$$ back to your university, but they do allow for your school to provide a lot of job security when thousands attend every year out of convenience and low cost.

It just boils down to the philosophy of the leadership of your university. One felt that athletics was a better way to go because their students and alumni wanted it that way. The other felt the exact opposite, which is what the overwhelming number of its alumni and students prefer. None of this should be all that surprising as to how it has played out...

Agree.  And, Houston did not drop down to I-AA for over a decade either. 

We've never had the visibility in football or basketball as Houston, no matter how far back you go.  If you are going to complain about the leadership now, go ahead and include the leadership way back when as well when we didn't get into the SWC.

To me, the key was not understanding the ramifications of the OU/Georgia suit against the NCAA for TV rights.  We were mired in the I-AA back then.  After the win by OU/Georgia, television rights became the thing.  Notre Dame jumped in feet first, along with most major conferences.  Us...nowhere to be found.  We were hiring a high school football coach from...Marshall, TX. 

People can beat on RV all you want.  Where we find ourselves took decades of mismanagement.  Rick's got us facilities and on track academically, and has continued to guide all the programs without drawing any penalties from the NCAA.  We're clean.

After his contract runs out, then we'll see what the next guy can do.  Hopefully, he'll take the clean program and great facilities Rick leaves, and take it up a notch. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2